Vampires: Overpopulated and Out of Control

Has anyone been craving a vampire story lately? I know I haven’t. Before the Twilight series was published, vampire books seemed to be fairly common; however, among those books were stories with other supernatural creatures such as witches and ghosts. After Twilight became the next big hit, vampire stories started flooding into bookstores faster than Edward could ever run to Bella.
The other day, I went into my favorite store to find something fun to read. Instead of the usual variety among the choice of books, I saw eight about vampires. Some were more realistic stories such as Twilight. Others were more fantasy driven. I sadly turned away after reading similar summaries about each one. I promptly looked in another favorite section: Manga. I felt that I could, perhaps, be more successful with a different style of book. Yet, as I approached the tall bookcase that held hundreds of various Manga, my heart dropped. There, looming over me, was a poster for some new manga – all which were about vampires. “Really?” I thought to myself. “Here too?”
I think there is nothing wrong with vampire stories; however, an overabundance of novels that contain a certain element in the plot can be a little overwhelming. Even my friend, a vampire book connoisseur, feels like she cannot even begin to read all that is available on her favorite bloodthirsty friends. This problem is not exclusive to books. Many movies and television shows follow the same trends in hopes to appeal to the viewers who like certain themes or character types. Some examples would be animals going to the wild, monks destined to save humanity, robots taking over the world, and gangs ruling the streets.
What shocks me the most is how many authors fail to see the golden opportunity that has been presented to them. Some writers believe that by writing about the subject that everyone loves, he or she could become the next “big thing.” Although that idea is true to a certain extent, I believe that the opposite is true. At my school, everyone was reading Harry Potter, then the Clique series, then Twilight. Each book could be classified into a different genre respectively – fantasy, realistic fiction, and supernatural-fiction. Although all three series had similarities, yet they were all dissimilar: Harry is a wizard; Claire is a normal girl; Edward is a vampire. These stories rose above the rest in excellence, not because they were just another book about a teenager, but because they were different than the average novel.
Finally, if anything, I know that another book will arise and it will sweep through the nation. This time, however, let’s not try to fall into the same old habit; let’s not all write the same story over and over again. Maybe then, readers will not have to struggle to find something new and original.

ZeenatThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
nice article 

Bookworm1998 said...
Aug. 6, 2011 at 9:14 am:
i agree completely with what you've written. i find that it's most annoying with twilight though. i walk into my favourite store and i'm staring straight at shirts saying TEAM JACOB. Ugh! :S

Rosaa said...
Jul. 7, 2011 at 10:29 pm:
I agree with everything you've written here. It gets frustrating trying to find a book that ISN'T written only about vampires.

DarkenedSparrow said...
Dec. 16, 2010 at 9:20 am:
I am a fan of vampires, but I agree that there are many, many stories that include this stereotypical character. Vampires are in Anime and Manga as well. Maybe there's something about vampires that people like, now, but that's just my opinion. You are correct.

kiwi_d said...
Jun. 14, 2010 at 7:49 am:
u r so right... and all around this page they have ads for vampire stuff, like new vampire books and a tv show called 'the gates', which is about vamps... talk about ironic!!!

ReadingFanatic said...
I am so SICK of vampire books. They loom over me like the new moon crap in my local borders! Why cant people just relize that teens need a bigger selection then this vampire romance craze! I read a book about a wizard and there was a part about a vampire. It was no biggie though cause this vampire was orginal. She didnt eat humans or animals, and she drank water. They only reason was that she was a vampire was because she didnt sleep or eat, and had fangs. I'm glad that someone had finall... (more »)

ButItsBetterIfYouDo said...
This is brilliant. I couldn't agree more.

Cotillion_Reject This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 10, 2009 at 6:21 pm :
Thank you! I am glad that someone agrees with this too.

Peanut:) replied...
Nov. 28, 2009 at 10:38 pm :
same here, and actually, I have had some of the same thoughts run through my head after a recent trip to the book store, you just put them into words perfectly!