My Ex-Teen Icon MAG

By Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois
Mmbusch BRONZE, Fox River Grove, Illinois

"Do not pity the dead. Pity the living. And above all pity those who live without love."

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.

Hey, my name is Margaret. I'm 15 and considering becoming a journalist. When I mentioned this to my dad, he encouraged me to practice writing, as I have obviously done so. My work is nothing great, but I hope you like it. I know it has too much teenage attitude to be published as news, but your site sounds very open to all types of writing, so I hope you'll appreciate my work for its own personality. However, if not, I completely understand. I'll just keep practicing.
The work I have pasted here is simply my own thoughts after having come across a cereal box endorsed by Hannah Montana.
Enjoy!

on Mar. 26 2010 at 1:48 pm
Breezy41 BRONZE, West Plains, Missouri

"Never let yesterday's dissapointments overtake tomorrow's dreams."

Agreed! I feel the exact same way! She is such a horrible role model!

darbie BRONZE said...
on Mar. 25 2010 at 4:07 pm
darbie BRONZE, Ruston, Louisiana

Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
US author & satirist (1842 - 1914)

hey, anytime!

Mmbusch BRONZE said...
on Mar. 25 2010 at 3:43 pm

Yes. I mean, true, I am criticizing some of her actions in this article and how they reflect, etc., but this doesn't mean I want her to fail in her life, career, or endeavors. Everyone deserves a happy life and I think she should have one. However, she's been mistreating her role-model position and I think it should stop. Whatever. Who knows? She may yet change for the better

Mmbusch BRONZE said...
on Mar. 25 2010 at 3:36 pm

This is true, but I still wish she could have been a better role model to me.

Mmbusch BRONZE said...
on Mar. 25 2010 at 3:32 pm

Haha. You got it

Mmbusch BRONZE said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 9:54 pm

haha! I love long, appreciative, and insightful comments! Thank you :)

Mmbusch BRONZE said...
on Mar. 24 2010 at 9:52 pm

<3 Whenever my self esteem's real low I'll come back to this site... :) Thanks

Boulangere said...
on Mar. 20 2010 at 10:31 pm
It was entertaining to read from the standpoint of a Hannah/Miley-convert and you did very well with the entertainment, and, actually, I may have enjoyed your side comment even more. Good luck becoming a journalist!

on Mar. 20 2010 at 3:30 pm
StandardToaster PLATINUM, Pasadena, California

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy ever minute of it."

this was great. it made me laugh cuz i realize I do the same thing too. check out my work?

on Mar. 20 2010 at 9:38 am
sky_is_womb BRONZE, Moorestown, New Jersey

All the soarings of my mind begin within my blood- Rilke

i like your writing a lot and i feel the same way. i was so obsessed with her i used to try and exactly mimic the outfits she wore on the show. now i look back and think, what was i thinking?-i think, that i thought, i could some day be a teen rock star too- but now reality has set in.

Venus_Queen said...
on Mar. 15 2010 at 7:51 pm
Thank you for saying what i have been wanting to but didnt say it!!

TheJust ELITE said...
on Mar. 5 2010 at 8:39 pm
TheJust ELITE, Ellenton, Florida

"I feel that a hero is somebody who will stand up for their values and what they believe in and that can take any form. People that have values and have thought them through rather than those who just do what they’re told."-Skandar Keynes

"When it’

I completely agree. I have to admit, I like Hannah Montana! But yeah, she says she's to old for Disney. So, why is she still with them? And what the deal with "I'm a role model, but I'll take candids in my bra..." Sorry, but she has been off my "role model" list for a loong time!

on Mar. 5 2010 at 11:28 am
Kitkat19 SILVER, Brookline, Massachusetts

If you can't explain, then you don't understand. -Me

i am a big fan of hannah/miley, more hannah. i've seen hannah montana yogurt, toothpaste, toothbrushes, memory sticks, and more. it's ridiculous, but a good (albeit very sleazy) way to market her and make money. it seems bad morally, but i find it rather amusing.

on Feb. 27 2010 at 7:47 am
Waterlogged BRONZE, Grapevine, Texas

"Winston, you are drunk." To which Churchill responded, "and you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I'll be sober,"-Lady Astor and Winston Churchill

This was good....

on Feb. 26 2010 at 8:56 pm
writergirl13 GOLD, Cherry Hill, New Jersey

All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.
Ambrose Bierce

I completely agree with your articel. It was completely normal for everyone to be a fan of Hannah Montana/ MIley Cyrus three years ago when the show started airing. The truth is, she acted like a good person and role model, but I guess later, the fame just went to her head. And if she wanted to get out of the show and Disney, I persoanlly think she could've bowed out with a little more grace and dignity. Hopefully, she'll realize her mistakes and it won't be too late to turn her life around if and when she does. Great article! You should definitely try out being a journalist, and keep practicing (writing editorials can help a little with that.) :)

darbie BRONZE said...
on Feb. 26 2010 at 4:51 pm
darbie BRONZE, Ruston, Louisiana

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
US author & satirist (1842 - 1914)

Thank you for being you...

on Feb. 26 2010 at 2:32 pm
edwardcullen4always SILVER, Rock Hill, South Carolina

"If you feed a man a fish you feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

That was really good. I actually laughed out loud at the part about u cursing disney for puttng miley on cereal. Great Job!

PeacePerson said...
on Feb. 26 2010 at 12:16 pm
PeacePerson, Prescott, Arizona

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Wow. You have a very clear voice, and a definite opinion. I've felt the same way about Miley for a long time, but you totally put it into words. Great article!!

live4vball96 said...
on Feb. 26 2010 at 12:12 pm
live4vball96, Mckinney, Texas

I'd rather be hated for someone am than be loved for somone I'm not.

I remember when the first episode of Hannah Montana came out. I loved that show at the time. But then just like you I saw who she really was, what her personality really was outside of disney channel. And now just like you, I can't stand her because everyone is praising her for her show and what a good role model she is, when in truth, she isn't one at all. She is just another girl gone wrong in Hollywood. But no matter how much I don't like her, I still want her to get back on the right track again. Maybe she can find her way back to God.

on Feb. 26 2010 at 12:00 pm
Blooper195 PLATINUM, McKinney, Texas

This life ain't that bad.

I remember when hannah montana first appeared. I was in 5th grade when she first started with her career, at first she seemed like a really nice girl to look up to, but all that news feed that was published i turned away from her.

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!