My Ex-Teen Icon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.

mem15 said...
May 10, 2010 at 12:32 pm:
Great article! I hate Miley. at first she was just annoying and now shes just innaprpriate for the young fans

patrickj96 said...
May 3, 2010 at 8:41 pm:
I really liked your story. It is very true! But why do you have a picture of Adam Young?

Mmbusch This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
May 14, 2010 at 6:14 pm :

Oh gosh, I have no idea! I didn't even know who that guy was until now. When I first submitted the article I was asked to choose a picture/photo from the Teen Ink archive, and I selected a chick with a guitar. But when they chose my article for the print mag, my work was edited and a new photo chosen. 

patrickj96 replied...
May 14, 2010 at 10:47 pm :
Huh! Weird...

May 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm :
This gets stranger...the guy who took the photo lives in my grandparents' neighborhood, according to the tag. ???

patrickj96 replied...
May 29, 2010 at 9:59 pm :
wow... that is really strange!

BrielleM replied...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 6:27 pm :
I absolutely love Adam Young! :) He is a good role model :)

AwesomeNewt said...
May 3, 2010 at 7:21 pm:
I agree with you, never liked her but still find her creepy

decembersun14 said...
May 3, 2010 at 7:14 pm:
nice one! i totally agree with you. miley cyrus is not a good role model. very good article. keep writing!

charzard said...
May 3, 2010 at 10:06 am:
great article! i was never a real miley fan, but she bugs me. ha. well written! go on with your dream of becoming a journalist! you're well on your way!

Jose4Jesus said...
May 3, 2010 at 6:23 am:
LOLL. I just added this to my favorites. Seems we share a mortal enemy. Actually, I'm starting not to care much as long as her ..blessed face stops popping all over the place. ICKK.

bltsoccerchick said...
I still kind of like her Miley songs, but i agree. Enough is enough already, and she has little girls watching her and looking up to her. She needs to knock of the crap that she's doing, and realize that she needs to be the RIGHT kind of role model for people.

MuSic.EqUaLs.LoVe said...
OMG thank you SO much!! I used to be the same way, obsessed with her show, listening to her songs non-stop, and just plain wanting to be her. But then she turned into some...I don't know...Miley? Now I want to punch anything that shows me her face. I don't see why guys think she is so hot/pretty. In my mind, she is fake. Look at her 1st season of "Hannah Montana" and look at her now. Everything about her screams fake. Thank you so much, and believe me, I feel your pain.

NatalieB. said...
I liked this article, not only becuase it was anti Mahnnah (Miley/Hannah) but becuase you weren't afraid to admit you were once a brain-washed fanatic, no better than the followers there are now. I'm glad you had the guts to admit that and I like your writing style, too.

mcpanicfanic said...
Apr. 22, 2010 at 1:09 am:
You are a very good writer. Keep at it and always do what makes you happy. If you like to write, go for it.

writer24/7/365 said...
You wrote this very well. Who cares if you sound like a teenager? For Pete's sake, you are one! I have mixed feelings about Miley/Hannah. But I've thought the same thoughts, hoping she won't become a Disney has been who becomes a raunchy woman. I want to be a novelist, but I'm thinking about becoming a journalist someday. I know it might take  a really long time to be a published novelist, so that's why I'm considering journalism. Well, cool article!

S-Chique00 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Finally, someone with similar tastes! I never liked Hannah Montana and never really saw what all the hype was over, even when I was in the age bracket of her target market. She can't sing without a false twang, her greasy-haired dad writes all of her songs, and her show is over-manufactured and relies on dated jokes and corney clichés. And then she was in the papers for taking her clothes off. Well done, Cyrus. Classy. Very good article, by the way.

BriannaKaye13 said...
Mar. 26, 2010 at 1:48 pm:
Agreed! I feel the exact same way! She is such a horrible role model!

Boulangere said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 10:31 pm:
It was entertaining to read from the standpoint of a Hannah/Miley-convert and you did very well with the entertainment, and, actually, I may have enjoyed your side comment even more. Good luck becoming a journalist!

*StandardToaster* said...
Mar. 20, 2010 at 3:30 pm:
this was great. it made me laugh cuz i realize I do the same thing too. check out my work?