My Ex-Teen Icon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.

samyo6 said...
"To my dismay and shock there were none"  I had to stop reading and laugh for a little bit, :P

Mmbusch This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 3, 2010 at 9:19 am
Comments like this make me stop and smile :)

samyo6 replied...
Yay! :P haha

nomorox said...
hey, this title just inspired me to do a fiction piece! be sure to check it out in a few weeks, and thanks!! and good writer, you have a good way with words ;)

ilovewriting95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job. Totally true and I hope you go far with your journalism. Oh and a suggestion also would be to try to get involved in your school newspaper too. That will give you lots of experience and recognition from your peers. i'm not sure if middle schools have them but I know that high schools do. Also,hey I'm 15 too.

MiddleOfAnEgg said...
Jul. 30, 2010 at 3:01 am
This is amazing. I have to agree so much. Good luck on your journey to becoming a journalist, if you decide to become one, because you are DEFINITELY on the right track. :)

ELM522 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Good, actually phenomenal! Can you read my pieces? Thanks! I have 3, so far, but I submitted more, and you don't HAVE to read all 3, or any. Thanks, again!

lovetowriteandwatchTV said...
intresting, i agree with you on some things, like the fact she has to grow up and she can't be little forever, but i personally dont think that she wants to stay with Disney to get paid, she's breaking apart from them, she doesn't want to be part of it, because she doesn't want to be a little girl disney star

Yea, I wrote this article more than a year ago, and I actually feel like it's a little dated. When I first started writing, I was predicting a change. Now the change seems to be happening. (Or have already happened?) 

elle_la_vielurv said...
i hate miley cyrus, this is so true

BrielleM said...
Jul. 8, 2010 at 9:49 am

I really like this article! I completely agree. I used to look up to her but she has made a lot of stupid decisions. It seems like she's trying to be the exact opposite of a role model. Anway....

Who is the guy in you picture? It looks a little like Adam Young (Owl City) and I absolutely love him :)

Yea, it's him. I didn't choose the picture though. Another reader actually told me who it is. 

BrielleM replied...
Jul. 16, 2010 at 7:50 am
Oh! :) Haha. That's cool, 'cause I love him! That's what caught my eye about this article!

JohnWallOfTheWizards said...

I just saw this nice Kenzie Q.

I completely agree. You can't be a role model for a hopeful third grader and then go grind a 45 year old man. There's absolutely no excuse or reason for it.

JohnWallOfTheWizards said...
Everybody makes mistakes everybody has those days, blah blah blah, nobodies perfect. Why is it that these mistakes have to be so big, I mean I make mistakes but I am not doing anything that would be "scandelous" even if I were famous (not yet). I mean it shouldn't just be about the sixth graders that saw her through her entire career, but think about the little five six year olds all wanting to be like hannah, I remember watching an episode were this little girl knew everything about her, well t... (more »)

GzusFreak10 said...
OMGOSH! I loved it! Especially the last line: "And i don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle." Hannah Montana really is everywhere! KEEP WRITING! This is terrific!

forgottenpenname This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

I've had basically the same reaction with Milez. I was in the sixth grade, also, when Hannah Montana premiered, and I was completely obsessed with her up until a little while ago... she was my idol. I wanted to be just like her.

Every time she made a mistake, I just kind of ignored it and said the same ol' "everybody makes mistakes" (*cough* everybody has those days *cough) thing... and then Miley stopped apologizing for what she was doing. She started critisizing people for critiquing... (more »)

love2run replied...
I totally know what you guys mean. I used to love her show and music and EVERYTHING. But recently (or not so recently) the way she acts now has pretty much repelled me, now I don't like anything about her. Her show back then was good though, I'll give her that much.

Eilatan This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
this is really good. you'll make a great journalist.

Kenzie Q. said...

KenzieKenzie said...
I personally don't think that there is anything "wrong" with miley/hannah she's not a bad role model or innapropriate but i do agree that companies abuse the power of celebrities for their own benefit :P