My Ex-Teen Icon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.

JustWishing said...
But I agree SWAC is a good show!

JustWishing said...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 9:38 am:
I used to love Miley, but now its like whoa why did I ever, peronally I think the only Disney stars that havent flaunted there stuff would be, the boys from Suite Life on Deck, hmm, Wizards of Waverly but Selena got into a mazzive argument with demi who checked her self into a center not that I am hating I am not just think Disney needs to pick better people :)

Opinionated replied...
Nov. 17, 2010 at 6:33 pm :
I completely agree, but I don't think it's about Disney choosing better people but more or so, the corruption that money can bring. :D

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 8:18 am :

Selena never got into an argument with Demi. She hasn't even spoken to her since she went on tour. And she hasn't spoken to her at rehab because she's requested isolation from everyone but her family.

And Demi shouldn't be given grief. This is something she's been dealing with for years. It's not like she's on drugs or drinking or anything. She's bulemic and has been fighting it since jr. high. The fact that she chose to go into rehab shows that she understands that she has a problem a... (more »)

JustWishing replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 1:48 pm :
I understand that, I wasnt trying to sound mean dude I wrote that too, I am a fan of isney please dont use hard words dude, if you had a problem could have said it a little kinder! thats k :)

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 2:27 pm :
I never said it mean. Just because I didn't use emoticons doesn't mean I was mad. I was just stating a point.

JustWishing replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 3:45 pm :
Lol agreed!!!

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz replied...
Nov. 23, 2010 at 3:47 pm :
haha okay... :)

schlage said...
Awesome article! It is kind of sad how Miley went from this disney teenager to a girl who tries to act and dress like she's years older. Her dad was famous and I think she just got a big taste of fame way too fast. It's even worse when I see younger kids with hannah montana backpacks, shirts, etc. So many younger kids look up to her.

thebushhippie said...
Totally agree!!!! Anyways, awesome article. I totally think you'd be a great journalist. Please keep writing!!!

BellaEzrebetFang said...
I think people fall too fast for celebrities as heroes. Being a celebrity, especially a top one like Miley Cyrus, can be very difficult. Corruption is very common for people who jump into it and are too famous, too young. Also...the insta-fame that she had really had a major impact. It's hard not to get caught up in it all, especially with famous parents and siblings. 

rose said...
I think Mikley will become like the other girls and will say shes not but will

Circa_Survive said...
I do not like Miley and I never will. I think that I enjoyed about this article is that it is real. Just because something I liked a lot and maybe look up to might be on a product does not mean I'll go buy it. In some cases this might be true, but not for me.

alexrighty1 said...
i agree with this post bc i am also one that when you became big, i used to love her, but now with all the puplisity reasons she has become way over rated. Everyone thinks she is so cute and sweet and innocent i dont think that at all, with her new music coming out she has little girls that are 5 years old, that love her and she is barley wearing any clothes now. i just think she is way over rated...

oddballinthegroup said...
i agree with this artical even tho i watxh the show and love the music i hate the person i used to look up to her but not any more i think she is becomeing the new britinay

Dr.CoreyPepper said...
To be COMPLETELY honest, I thougth this had something to do with Adam Young since his picture is the title picture...sorry, but I still totally agree with ya ON everything

Mmbusch This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm :
hahahahahahahahahahaha. I do not know who Adam Young is. I've had a few readers comment on his picture but really, I didn't get to choose the photo that accompanied the article. I don't know if you were trying to be funny, but your comment just made my 8:00.

Kelz1141 said...
Though I am 100% not a fan of Miley Cyrus I still have to disagree with this article. I do not think she is trashy, she is just being a normal kid. Kids make mistakes, even the famous ones.

WiseChild replied...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 5:33 am :
u r forgetting something. she's not a kid. she is a young adult if not even a legal adult aready. u cant excuse her that way, why does she need to make mistakes? is it impossible to get it right for once????

Kelz1141 replied...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 7:10 pm :
She is still a kid! She still lives with her parents, she still depends on adults to function. Also, even if she was an adult, no one is perfect. It is 100% impossible to not make mistakes, and if you think it is possible then you are not at all wise "WiseChild".