My Ex-Teen Icon This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

The other day I was walking down the aisle of my neighborhood Super Walmart, desperately scanning the shelves for Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds. To my dismay and shock, there were none. I turned to leave when suddenly I came face to face with my mortal enemy: Hannah Montana. There she was, staring into space as though a crisp hundred dollar bill was dangling from a fishing pole before her.

“Hannah Montana cereal,” I muttered, cursing Disney. But I suppose I should have known better. Did I honestly expect Disney not to cash in on every opportunity to plaster Miley Cyrus's face onto products? It was as if Disney had been shipping off Hannah Montana stickers to every manufacturer with the note, “Use these at your discretion; they'll make anything sell.” Because why wouldn't I want to buy a product if a chick in a wig is telling me to?

I was a sixth grader when the Hannah Montana phenomenon landed on our planet. My friends and I became obsessed with the show, to the point that we made our own music videos and memorized the title of every episode. When I was in seventh grade, this success grabbed the attention of those out of range of Disney Channel's hypnotron, and Miley Cyrus slowly but surely approached the teen audience, eager and cautious.

It was fine, it was all fine. No one expected her to stay young forever, she had a career to worry about and pressure to be cool among her own peers. But as the reports of tasteless photos appeared, I stopped staring with a blind eye. Who was this girl I looked up to? I was the same age this “role model” was when she started running off the track, and I had never done anything remotely like that.

So now, whenever I walk into a store, I feel betrayed by my ex-teen icon. Her very image screams “Look at me! I may act trashy and dim, but as long as I'm not caught pulling a Winona Ryder, Disney will continue paying me a gazillion bucks!” I wish I could say to her, “Be a role model or stop putting on that wig to reap all the benefits.”

I'm not as cynical as I seem though. I hope Miley takes the right path. I hope she doesn't become the next Britney. Or Lindsay. Or Jamie Lynn. But everyone grows up, and odds are that if they come from Disney, they end up in Vegas. And I don't appreciate Miley trying to persuade me to buy her bicycle.

HorseLover said...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 6:50 am:
I totally agree with you. Great article. :)

Noxfaratos said...
Feb. 13, 2011 at 1:59 am:
I like your writing, but I can't agree with you. I don't feel like she's gone off in an awful direction. I know she needs to put up a certain image, but kids are not her responsibility, it's not her job to raise them. Plus teens do stupid things, but she has the whole world watching. I don't agree with some of the stuff she's done, but I also can't hate her for it. Just my opinion.

wannabeaphotogirl said...
I liked the article. Just a heads up though, since you do want to be a journalist, journalists are supposed to not show bias according to my journalism teacher, and as much as  i love sarcasm, it is not supposed to make it's way into journalistic pieces

Wordgasm replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 7:29 am :
Not in a news article they aren't, but this is an opinion article. It is all about bias and the authors own thoughts and experiences

wannabeaphotogirl replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 8:15 am :
yes i am aware that is an opinion article. i was reading the note/information on the side and referencing that. I think it is an incredibly well written article. i much enjoyed reading it. i just know i tended to do better when i wrote my opinions in articles than when i wrote unbiased articles it was merelly meant as a reminder that news articles are to be unbiased. i in no way meant to offend anyone. its a GREAT article.

wannabeaphotogirl replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 8:18 am :
i also see that she meantioned now that she knows it has too much attitude. i must have forgot that part and im very sorry.

eye543 said...
I heard about that. Apparently she was holding onto the pole for support, but the picture made it seem like something else.

deathbycrayons said...
haha the last line was epic! I totally agree with you on every part of this :) 

PeetaMellark said...
I dunno if it was intended to be funny or not, but I found a lot of the sarcasm and stuff really entertaining...:) This is good writing, too, btw!

NicoleSThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

i completely agree with you! it is her life, but she took on the role of hannah montana, and with it the responsibility of a role model for millions of girls...she's so irresponsible and she just gets worse with time

it's inevitable that she'll end up like britney or lindsay, which is unfortunate, because, even though i dont like her or her show or her music very much, she had a good thing going for little girls to look up to

blackalsored said...
Just let her mess up her own life! dtop posting things that makes her life suck even more

blackalsored replied...
Dec. 24, 2010 at 5:00 pm :
shes just growning up

SickImage said...

I love the last line :)

I can relate to this, although i was too old to be captured by Hanah Montana, my phase was lizzie mcguire. I was obsessed lol.

Something people should know about the disney channel is that it is made to help kids achieve careers in singing and acting. So when hanah turns into Miley and the show ends, or lizzie, or raven, or whoever, Disney is succeeding. That is the point. My dad explained it to me after the lizzie show ended and I was furi... (more »)

Trulie said...
You're right. After all, she can't be tamed.

georgia117 replied...
Dec. 31, 2010 at 12:34 am :
that just made my day...

Wordgasm replied...
Jan. 26, 2011 at 7:27 am :
^ Agree :) ^

Synestria said...
I, like many, went through the Hannah/Miley phase.  Almost every 5-11 year-old girl did.  I also really hope she doesn't end up like you said -- like Spears and Lohan -- but we've all gotta admit that she's on her way.  I really liked your article.  Write on!

Tinky said...
this is great. I like Miley Cyrus but uts a disgrace for the things she do. Keep on writing

ghost said...
Dec. 9, 2010 at 8:05 am:
I agree I never really liked Hanna Montana

WindDancer said...

You did a great job with this! I happen to agree completely. I used to like Hannah/Miley as well.

Keep on writing! You've definitly got something :)