What does being a rebel mean?

A few days ago, I saw a poster of Twilight with Edward Cullen in the very center. I was immediately struck by the sheer beauty of his face and immediately posted as my Facebook status: "I believe that such gorgeousness as seen in Edward Cullen's face ought to be outlawed."

In less than a day, there were several people commenting, saying things like "Not you, too" and "Aww, I never knew you were obsessed as well." One girl asked me the next day, "You too?" with what I imagined to be a tragic "Et tu, Brute?" expression.

The people who commented on my status were all girls. Now, I know they were half-joking, but with every joke there is a grain of truth. But what struck me as most strange is that nowadays, the moment someone, especially a girl, says, "I like Twilight" there are various assumptions made within half a second.
1.) You must be obsessed with Twilight.
2.) You are obsessed because it is a romance story and all teen girls are obssessed with romance stories.
3.) You probably watched the movie as well, and only watched it because you think Edward Cullen is handsome.
4.) You have a poster of Edward Cullen in your room, and you spend a lot of time drooling over it.

And all because I said three simple words: "I like Twilight." People claim they are tired of the fuss people make over Twilight. Well guess what? I'm tired of the fuss people make over the fuss people make over Twilight. Try to figure that out :)

But I wasn't all that surprised with the response to Twilight. Many of us are so anxious to not be accused of being obsessed fans that we swing to the other extreme. We become haters. We join Facebook groups like "The group that hates Miley Cyrus." We make a disgusted face whenever Britney Spears' name is mentioned.

But is all that really necessary? We are so determined to prove we don't follow every "typical trend" that we have actually made a "typical trend" of our own: the hate-the-popular-people trend. However, that backfires. In the attempt to prove we DON'T care about those things we prove we DO care. Why else would we go to such lengths to prove that we don't care?

The worst way you could treat someone is with apathy. If we love someone, we care about them deeply. If we hate someone, we also care about them deeply. Love and hate are both deep feelings, after all; that is what makes them so close and so similar. So actually, to prove that we are "not like that," we should just let people who love Twilight love it without bashing them and making all these crazy and ridiculous assumptions.

I remember me finally getting fed up one day and saying, "I think Edward Cullen is hot and I'm going to think he's hot as much as I please." I also remember a girl telling me (and not in any mean way, of course), "Well, that's just lame." And I laughed. I laughed because I thought it was lame that she thought she could bring me down by saying that I was lame.

So this just brings me to think, "What exactly does rebel mean?" In my opinion, and my opinion only, a rebel is someone who just let's people talk, who doesn't become a hater or laugh at people who like something that happens to be popular at the moment.

I am a nerd who thinks Edward Cullen is hot, who thinks Miley Cyrus is a good singer, and who still respects Britney Spears. I am a dork who believes that getting good grades doesn't prevent me from admiring beautiful boys and admitting that I think they're amazing looking. Thinking a guy is hot doesn't mean I'm being superficial. It just means I'm being a girl.

And I don't see anything wrong with what I do and don't admire.

So let's not become a hater of Twilight. To prove you don't care, let people love, and let people hate. It's ironic but true.
And as for the title of this entry – what does being a rebel mean? A true rebel is so respectful and courteous that they don’t turn people off, and a true rebel never says no for the sake of saying no. Sometimes a true rebel has to say yes.

indigo said...
wow when i first read your post  though you were a homosexual because only homosexuals like those pop star prettyboys

Medina D. replied...
Oct. 11, 2010 at 4:28 pm :
???????????????????

Salimity said...
Mar. 16, 2010 at 9:50 am:
Very well written article and I know where you're coming from, even though I have to disagree. Then again, I'm a lover of the obscure and unknown.

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:04 pm:
This article is very well written and unique and it's true. It makes me think back on how many times I've spent hours composing articles on how much I hate Twilight. Of course, I don't do this to prove that I don't like it- I do it because it just bugs me that people like Harry Potter better than it and I want to teach them. However, I despise Justin Bieber and I don't go on and on about it. I just go, "Yeah, Justin Bieber sings like a girl" and get on with lif... (more »)

fiftiesgal467 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
What a twist on what people think! Great ideas, and so right! You were saying how people have to go to more trouble to act like they don't like something. There are two posters in my English teacher's room, one says "how to succeed", the other says, " how to fail." The whole poster on "how to fail" is full of tiny print while the " how to succeed" poster has just a few simple points. That just goes to show that you have to put in a lot of work to... (more »)

krhinesly said...
ha, ain't that the truth.

toxic.monkey said...
it's so well written you've forced me to agree that saying no for the sake of saying no is really kinda dumb :P

koolkat101love said...
I loved this article. I agree with all of its points, I just don't like Miley Cyrus or Brittany Spears. But I agree with you. I love Twilight. My best friend is against. Almost every day, she askes how I can like it. I just tell her, "Sorry, it's not your fault. It's just who I am. People can like what they want." I don't really say anything more than that. I respect that she doesn't like Twilight though, so I don't talk about it when I am around her. I do... (more »)

TabbyKat said...
Dec. 2, 2009 at 9:14 am:
I am totally obsessed with Twilight and Edward Cullen. And there are so many ways that I can everyone else could like him. Just look at him, doesn't every girl need a perfect guy?

krhinesly replied...
Dec. 29, 2009 at 7:33 pm :
yes, but there is no perfect guy out there.

TabbyKat replied...
Dec. 29, 2009 at 7:47 pm :
True, it would be nice though!

datdude replied...
Apr. 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm :
Edward Cullen isn't the perfect guy he just plays the perfect guy in the move don't forget that and it's the same deal with all the actors/actresses.

CaseyLeigh This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely love everything this article embodies. I agree with every word. Amazing!

vejman said...
my brain hurts now

NerdInPajamas said...
no offence every single person reading this, but i honestly dont see how u could view edward as cute. he looks kind of too perfect and model-esque to me to be handsome. really he just looks weird.

magic-esi This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:05 pm :
That is true, he's ugly. The rest of the article is good though.

aleelee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
you have some really good points-i totally agree

WriterGirly13 replied...
Oct. 2, 2009 at 5:41 pm :
I like Miley Cyrus, Twilight, and Britney Spears songs. I agree, I just wish all of the people in my school could realize this too and learn something. Rock on!

Sean3 said...
this is an exelent point even though im a guy and dont care for Twilight

Brenda S. said...
i have to agree with you on everything you just said!! you are very talented at this kind of stuff!! nice work!!