What does being a rebel mean?

A few days ago, I saw a poster of Twilight with Edward Cullen in the very center. I was immediately struck by the sheer beauty of his face and immediately posted as my Facebook status: "I believe that such gorgeousness as seen in Edward Cullen's face ought to be outlawed."

In less than a day, there were several people commenting, saying things like "Not you, too" and "Aww, I never knew you were obsessed as well." One girl asked me the next day, "You too?" with what I imagined to be a tragic "Et tu, Brute?" expression.

The people who commented on my status were all girls. Now, I know they were half-joking, but with every joke there is a grain of truth. But what struck me as most strange is that nowadays, the moment someone, especially a girl, says, "I like Twilight" there are various assumptions made within half a second.
1.) You must be obsessed with Twilight.
2.) You are obsessed because it is a romance story and all teen girls are obssessed with romance stories.
3.) You probably watched the movie as well, and only watched it because you think Edward Cullen is handsome.
4.) You have a poster of Edward Cullen in your room, and you spend a lot of time drooling over it.

And all because I said three simple words: "I like Twilight." People claim they are tired of the fuss people make over Twilight. Well guess what? I'm tired of the fuss people make over the fuss people make over Twilight. Try to figure that out :)

But I wasn't all that surprised with the response to Twilight. Many of us are so anxious to not be accused of being obsessed fans that we swing to the other extreme. We become haters. We join Facebook groups like "The group that hates Miley Cyrus." We make a disgusted face whenever Britney Spears' name is mentioned.

But is all that really necessary? We are so determined to prove we don't follow every "typical trend" that we have actually made a "typical trend" of our own: the hate-the-popular-people trend. However, that backfires. In the attempt to prove we DON'T care about those things we prove we DO care. Why else would we go to such lengths to prove that we don't care?

The worst way you could treat someone is with apathy. If we love someone, we care about them deeply. If we hate someone, we also care about them deeply. Love and hate are both deep feelings, after all; that is what makes them so close and so similar. So actually, to prove that we are "not like that," we should just let people who love Twilight love it without bashing them and making all these crazy and ridiculous assumptions.

I remember me finally getting fed up one day and saying, "I think Edward Cullen is hot and I'm going to think he's hot as much as I please." I also remember a girl telling me (and not in any mean way, of course), "Well, that's just lame." And I laughed. I laughed because I thought it was lame that she thought she could bring me down by saying that I was lame.

So this just brings me to think, "What exactly does rebel mean?" In my opinion, and my opinion only, a rebel is someone who just let's people talk, who doesn't become a hater or laugh at people who like something that happens to be popular at the moment.

I am a nerd who thinks Edward Cullen is hot, who thinks Miley Cyrus is a good singer, and who still respects Britney Spears. I am a dork who believes that getting good grades doesn't prevent me from admiring beautiful boys and admitting that I think they're amazing looking. Thinking a guy is hot doesn't mean I'm being superficial. It just means I'm being a girl.

And I don't see anything wrong with what I do and don't admire.

So let's not become a hater of Twilight. To prove you don't care, let people love, and let people hate. It's ironic but true.
And as for the title of this entry – what does being a rebel mean? A true rebel is so respectful and courteous that they don’t turn people off, and a true rebel never says no for the sake of saying no. Sometimes a true rebel has to say yes.

talhaakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Apr. 9 at 11:38 am:
Well written! You provided some very thought provoking information here!

xelawriter97This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is amazing! GREAT JOB! I love this so much that I'm favoriting it!

ThisBreRulezYouSonnn said...
Jul. 24, 2011 at 6:51 am:

A true rebel is so respectful and courteous that they don’t turn people off, and a true rebel never says no for the sake of saying no? Sometimes a true rebel has to say yes? That's not a rebel!!

A rebel is someone who goes against the status quo. A rebel is a revolutionary. A rebel is someone with a different idea. A rebels isn't always polite about it. And sometimes they say "no" to say "no", like everyone else.

The definition of this type of person you found isn't a rebe... (more »)

MissX said...
Apr. 17, 2011 at 7:46 am:
I love this. You're totally right : the new trend is to deviate from the trend. It's the same reason so many people hate Justin Bieber.

LooknWonderThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 5:00 pm :
Is it so hard to believe some people hate Justin Bieber because we simply dislike his music??

MissX replied...
Apr. 27, 2011 at 6:59 pm :
I'm talking about the people who HATE Justin Bieber. You know - the ones who put him down every chance they get. Disliking his music is no reason to hate him. If that's the only reason some people claim to hate him, then they need to find some perspective. And hobbies.

Apr. 28, 2011 at 6:53 pm :
Ah, well I hate his music and I HATE all the fangirls going "OMG I LOVE JUSTIN BEIBER" just because of his looks, not his music. Other than that I just strongly dislike him as a human being. Hating him would take to much time and energy.

MissX replied...
Apr. 28, 2011 at 7:03 pm :
Exactly. Time and energy. I don't like his music or his looks either, but I respect that he's an aspiring artist and has a somewhat genuine personality. I'm glad we could find some common ground. :P

Daydreamish said...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm:

This was actually really well-written. Thought-provoking. If you think about it, there really is no such thing as a rebel past a certain point.

If a rebel says, "no," to something that is popular, then he is obviously protesting against something that already exists, right? If many join him, none of them are rebels any more because they are conforming to the rebels.

If you like the thing that the "rebels" are protesting, well, that could make you a tr... (more »)

awesomeaugustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jan. 17, 2011 at 10:02 am:

This opnion was rally well written. Somehow, you dont come across as sounding like a defensive, twilight obsessed tween. (that's a compliment :)) I liked the twist at the end, about being a rebel, and how it brought the topic away from the tension over Twilgiht, etc. So, this was really well done and I think is worothy of being published!

Also, a quick confession: I've read all of the Twilgiht books (once!) and seen all of the movies in theatre. I plan to see the midnight premiere of B... (more »)

ZombieDanceWithMe said...
i saw the movie and was discusted. I mean, I thought the movie itself was good but GERARD WAY WOULD HAVE BEEN SO MUTCH BETTER. He was supposed to be edward, i would be so much more obsessed if he was in it

bennyB said...
what is the point of this topic??

LexiB said...
Nov. 2, 2010 at 8:06 am:
I like that you don't let people get you down and care about what they think even if I don't care for Edward Cullen, Miley Cyrus, or Britney Spears.

vivian78 said...
Sept. 18, 2010 at 1:06 am:
I can't post the website here but Google vivianladadah and you'll find my tumblr site :)

vivian78 said...

Hey you guys! Glad you liked the article :)

If you would like to see more blogs, join the Facebook group: The Book That Was Born On Facebook. The book is basically a compilation of my blogs, and the group links to my website. Again, thanks so much for checking out my work!

lechatnoir said...
Aug. 28, 2010 at 2:18 am:
I agree also. For some people, following trends is second nature. Then there are the people who think going against (and disrespecting) the trends are unique and an individual. Although in some cases, it does mean they are an individual, but not while disrespecting someone else's interests. Those are the people who are true.

Hollywog. said...

I absolutely, completely agree with you in every single aspect of this piece of writing!

I have the same problem you do - the minute I admit to someone that I like Twilight - okay, I will even go so far as to say I love it - I am met with disbelieving stares, snorts and cries of "are you serious!?"

And they, too, believe that because I like it, I must be obsessed. And that I must only watch the movies because of Rob Pattinson. And that I am pathetic.

But seriously - I hav... (more »)

Threefiddy said...
Aug. 6, 2010 at 8:11 am:
Being a rebel means wearing a shirt with Che Guevara on it, while not knowing what a murderous thung he was. La Revolution!

xosandramaxwell said...
Jun. 1, 2010 at 12:30 am:
i totally understand. you just justin bieber? well every girl at my school (i got to an all girls school, so i guess it's everyone lol) hates his guts. except me =) i say, be proud of who and what you like. it doesnt matter what other people think. follow popular trends and let haters be haters.

datdude said...
You people shouldn't be making such a big deal about what people say or thing about you because if you give a sign that you do care they are going to keep saying it so the best thing to do is keep you mouth shut and stop drooling over celebrities, thank you.