A Latent Addiction This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have recently been diagnosed with an addiction - to coffee. And I am not alone. This is a problem among Americans of all ages. The coffee shop has become a social staple in our culture. Its enticing aroma, cozy and inviting atmosphere, and sophisticated-sounding menu are difficult to resist, especially if you struggle with an addiction like mine.

But, when you look past the leather couches and coffees named after European cities, all you’ll find is coffee, milk, and a little caramel sauce. Anyone can buy an espresso maker and a container of CoffeeMate and create the same drink that, say, Starbucks does, for a lot less. The only difference between your homemade coffee and Starbucks is that they put it in a cute cup and throw on some whipped cream to convince us that we are treating ourselves to a well-deserved respite from the rigors of everyday life. And we believe them, too, and buy into the idea that drinking their coffee improves our quality of life.

So, next time “white chocolate mocha” begins echoing in your mind, you’ll have to make a decision: will you continue to be one of the millions of brainwashed Americans who live for their next trip to Starbucks, or will you rise above it? My advice: dare to resist and just say no.

Dr.Truth said...
Nov. 15, 2009 at 12:04 am:
Coffee=Addiction?Seriously?I would like to think of it as a fetish or mental prob. instead.Just like a fetish its not like addictive to other regular people but only to a select few.But still people do create mental problems for no apparent reasons sooo.Also if its not an addiction why do people still get addicted just like if it was beer?

spaaceships This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Dec. 12, 2009 at 9:39 am :
ah .. technically caffiene is a drug, it alters brain functions. seeing as most 'coffee' drinks contain some amount of caffiene, it can be addictive

Mystery_Girl said...
Oct. 13, 2009 at 7:35 am:
I cannot say too much because I am coffe addict too!! But I make my own. However, I spend more money on my makeup then some other people. Everyone has at least one thing that they spend a little more money on. But I also agree. So I cannot say too much.

Mystery_Girl replied...
Oct. 13, 2009 at 7:43 am :
Coffee can be an addiction people. Addiction just means something you use everyday and cannot go with out. People get addicted to the caffeine in coffee. So it can be It just isn't serious unless the cafeine is weakening you.

nigel said...
Oct. 12, 2009 at 10:47 am:
just a kind of drink. some liki,some not

ciaradell This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
People are mean. This is an addiction and it's serious.
It's not as serious as drugs no, but does that mean it's not serious?
If there are people starving in Canada, is it non-existant because there are people starving in Africa?
Nice article.

drugs are stupid_12 said...
OMG! how mean can u guys be????? people can be adicted to alot of thing coffie,drugs,dif. foods, almost anything so leave her alone

Patrick K. said...
Coffe is not an addiction, you do not have to go to rehab for coffe, you do not ruin your life for coffe, you can not have visions in your mind because of coffe. Coffe is not a problem, I dont drink coffe a lot but the only time I do is when relitives come over who like it in the morning because of the taste. Coffe at home is ok but they made it so its a lot better there but others have different opinions but before you say your opinion you have to try it first.

ssssssssssss said...
Sept. 23, 2009 at 9:21 am:
coming from an ex drug addict willing to do any thing for the next fix. You have no idea about addiction

Emmasmommy4610 replied...
Jul. 9, 2010 at 2:16 am :

I agree, but you do have to understand that mine and your past drug addictions may be severe to us because we've been there. Maybe this author hasn't really had a severe addiction. Instead of feining for a cocaine fix, she feins for a caffiene fix.

Thats what sucks about some people...addiction is addiction and the severity of the addiction differs from person to person based on experience.

Amyyy said...
Feb. 14, 2009 at 3:11 am:
Very nice! i don't see why people like coffee so much because i think it's disgusting! lol. the only reason my brothers drink it is because they expect energy from it, not a good warming taste! lol.

bobandbob22 replied...
Sept. 23, 2009 at 9:17 am :
your a joke. Addiction to coffe aint no addiction

fabiola7386 replied...
Jan. 12, 2010 at 3:25 am :
its good and very nice

Solar replied...
Apr. 23, 2012 at 8:03 am :
Well, I don't like coffe, but I don't think it's gross. It's (like all things) okay in small amounts.