A Latent Addiction This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine.

I have recently been diagnosed with an addiction - to coffee. And I am not alone. This is a problem among Americans of all ages. The coffee shop has become a social staple in our culture. Its enticing aroma, cozy and inviting atmosphere, and sophisticated-sounding menu are difficult to resist, especially if you struggle with an addiction like mine.

But, when you look past the leather couches and coffees named after European cities, all you’ll find is coffee, milk, and a little caramel sauce. Anyone can buy an espresso maker and a container of CoffeeMate and create the same drink that, say, Starbucks does, for a lot less. The only difference between your homemade coffee and Starbucks is that they put it in a cute cup and throw on some whipped cream to convince us that we are treating ourselves to a well-deserved respite from the rigors of everyday life. And we believe them, too, and buy into the idea that drinking their coffee improves our quality of life.

So, next time “white chocolate mocha” begins echoing in your mind, you’ll have to make a decision: will you continue to be one of the millions of brainwashed Americans who live for their next trip to Starbucks, or will you rise above it? My advice: dare to resist and just say no.

Jack said...
May 6 at 12:16 pm:
I was really shocked about how coffee is similar to drug. I actually love coffee and everyday morning I always drink coffee. But now I should learn more about how coffee makes our body bad. But also I thought that anything is bad if you take too much. So the bes thing is to limit how much you take and eat more other food too.

MalloryFarmer29 said...
Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:08 am:
If you want to buy real estate, you will have to receive the home loans. Moreover, my father always takes a sba loan, which supposes to be the most firm.

Kinners said...
This is so true. Coffee is an actual drug, but people don't list it along with cocaine or heroin because it doesn't have such drastic side effects. If it becomes an addiction to a substance, like you just proved coffee can be, it's a drug.

FaeNotMyNameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 14, 2013 at 9:26 pm:
I feel a bit addicted to coffee sometimes, and indulge in Starbucks often, but I don't drink the 'frou frou' drinks such as lattes and frappacinos. I just drink coffee...so I actually make it at home a lot, too. And this is just my perception, but it seems like this article is more geared towards an addiction to Starbucks than it is to coffee. I don't mean to sound rude at all, and you can correct me if I'm wrong.

SunshineKarmaGirl said...
Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:50 pm:
I loved reading this :) can you please check out my story You Know My Name Not My Story??? It would mean so much to me. Thanks (:

Little J said...
I totally agree. People just like to have everything everyone else has. Only difference is the price. Thats like a pair of rebok and jordans. Theyre both comforting shoes but Jordans are more popular so everyone tries to fit in.

Lindsey31 said...
I've never liked coffee, and I guess I've never considered it an addiction. But everything can be an addiction if you let it be, really. I mean, video games, electronics - kids are getting hooked on them, scientists are saying. Society these days!

*beautiful*spirit*This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
My mom likes to say that coffee is the last legal drug in America. But I have to admit that the caffeine does wake you up in the morning. So are you in opposition to coffee itself and its effect on people, or the whole coffee industry preying on sleepy, gullible people who need coffee to continue on their fast paced, job competitive lives?

Bethani said...
Oct. 20, 2011 at 9:11 am:
We don't drink coffee because of the caffeine or the fact it is a stimulant. We also dont drink alcohol because it can impair your judgement. Prescription drugs are ok as long as they are prescribed.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Are you serious?

What's next - reading addiction?

Oh, my God. Seriously? People have gotten tired of saying "MARIJUANA IS bAD!!11" so now they've turned to caffeine.

It's a VERY MILD addiction, at best, easy to break. This is so ridiculous.

MellyBelly replied...
May 23, 2012 at 1:38 pm :
I totally agree with you on that one. Coffee can be addicting but it's not like it's such a bad thing. If you want to make it at home then go ahead. Some people like making stuff at home or just going out and having coffee someplace.

Rachel K. said...
May 2, 2011 at 12:16 pm:
I'm one of the people who lives for their next trip to starbucks.

ashley1012 said...

i think that this article is pretty good becuase i never new that coffee was addictive

bjmcrank said...
Jan. 6, 2011 at 8:27 am:
my dads addicted to mcdonalds ice coffees. he has heart problems so hes trying to cut back.

thelivimanpt2 said...

lolz

coffee and cigarettes

good film and great combination

and i really do like the sophisticated menu like names

funny article

MotivatedD said...

i agree with you. i think coffee is used like it is a drug. i think half of the time it dosent even work. I think that we as people should make a tatic to motivate ourselves and not necssesarily keep running to coffee every time we get. It's ok to drink coffee every once in a while but not to be so dependent on it.

So just think, is that the onlt thing you can do to get pumped up?

bennyB said...
you wrote a piece about coffee seriously??

t.i.m.n_w said...
i don't like coffee, and i don't think i ever will.

Bethani said...
I'm Mormon and we don't drink coffee. I've studied the health benefits and harms and it's just better to not have it. Your heart stays stronger. I was given a chance to go against my faith when I was given free coffee from starbucks but instead I gave it to a friend. 

Dragonscribe replied...
Jan. 12, 2011 at 2:34 pm :
cool - i'm not Mormon but coffee's not really my thing either.