Lower the Drinking Age | Teen Ink

Lower the Drinking Age

Personally, I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 instead of 21. Having the drinking age at 21 doesn’t make sense to me because at 18 you can particularly do whatever you want as long as it doesn’t go against law. At 18, you can get a tattoo, but you can’t drink. Tattoos are on for life and I think some people don’t realize that. Some people may want a tattoo and the next day they go get it done, then later in life, they regret it. You can get something permanently on your body, but you legally can’t take a sip of alcohol. At 18, you can join the military, but you can’t drink. You can be handed a gun and told to go kill the enemies and sacrifice your life for your country, but you legally can’t take a sip of alcohol. At 18, all males HAVE to register with the Selective Service System, but they can’t drink. The Selective Service System is the draft for the war. We haven’t needed to use the draft in a very long time, but by law every male has to register. So every male has to have his name placed in a draft, in case we ever need to use it, but he legally can’t take a sip of alcohol. At 18, you can be selected for jury duty, but you can’t drink. You and a group of others can determine, with evidence, whether someone is guilty or not guilty, but you legally can’t take a sip of alcohol. At 18, you can gamble, but you can’t drink. You can throw millions and millions of dollars away, when you have your whole life ahead of you, but you legally can’t take a sip of alcohol. At 18, you can buy and use tobacco products, but you can’t drink. Every tobacco product contains nicotine, which can cause addiction and health problems. You can ruin your body for the rest of your life by consuming tobacco products, but you legally can’t take a sip of alcohol. At 18, you can get married, but you can’t drink. When you get married, you have so many other things to worry about. Your partner may like to save money, you might like to spend it. Your partner may have a better job and make more money than you do. You have another person that you have to go through if you want to do something. You can marry someone and try to work things out the best that you guys can, but you legally can’t take a sip of alcohol. At 18, you can vote, but you can’t drink. Voting for someone means that you support that person and want that person to become the head of the town, city, state, and even country. Once everyone votes, the person who wins is the “head” and you can’t do anything about it until it’s time to vote again. You can determine who makes everything happen in your town, city, state, and country, but you legally can’t take a sip of alcohol. At 18, you can get a credit card, but you can’t drink. Credit cards are bad in many ways. They can hurt your credit score making you pay more for insurance, having a hard time finding a place to live, and even trying to get a job. You can, potentially, ruin your life by having a bad credit score, but you legally can’t take a sip of alcohol.  All these reasons stated in this is why I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 instead of 21.