Live Longer or Shorten It | Teen Ink

Live Longer or Shorten It

By Lil_Boi_Ace BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Lil_Boi_Ace BRONZE, Sacramento, California

Do people even care about their selves, or do they care more about getting high and feeling relaxed? Have they even considered about quitting? A cigarette is a small cylinder of finely cut tobacco leaves rolled in thin paper for smoking. . It contains nicotine, tar, and carbon monoxide, as well as formaldehyde, ammonia, hydrgen cyanide, arsenic, and DDT. Nicotine is highly addictive. But why is it legally sold in stores? Cigarettes should be banned to lower the numbers of people dying from smoking it.

Not a whole lot of people knows what smoking a cigarrete can do to their body. And more importantly, they have no clue of what’s inside of it. Getting addicted to smoking can really turn your life into a disaster. It can put you homeless or it can even kill you. A person who is addicted to smoking spends their money on a pack of cigarette every week and each month, they spend up to 20 to 30 dollars. In the end, they will put their selves homeless because they can’t afford to pay for their house anymore.

The risk of dying from cigarette smoking has increased over the last 50 years in men and women in the United States.According to Center for Disease Control and Prevention, cigarette smoking causes more than 480,000 deaths each year in the United States. This is nearly one in five deaths.  Cigarette smoking harms nearly every organ of the body, causes many diseases, and reduces the health in smokers in general.It can cause stroke, heart disease, lung cancer, and etc.

I think cigarettes should be banned because it is detrimental to our society. The government is benefitting from the sales tax, but slowly, our population is decreasing. Also it is increasing health care utilization and cost and more deaths are occuring due to smoking. Imagine a world with no drugs at all, there won’t be so many ways of dying. Prohibiting smoking cigarette can also help teenagers choose the right paths for their lives.

Some people might think what I’m saying is nonsense, but wait until they experience it. Those of you who agrees with me, please spread the message to others. Remember that you only know what’s today and you never know what’s going to happen tomorrow. Always try to make the right choices for your self because that will affect you in the future. Live your life like it was granted and live wisely because you only live once.

I hope that after people read this article, they will choose to make the right decisions for their lives.