Why Pro-Drug and Anti-Drug Are Both Ridiculous Stances

By , Oakland, CA

I am writing this because I see a trend in this website, as well as in almost any anti-drug writing. The trend that I see is that people refer to illegal drugs as simply "drugs". They say, "Say no to drugs" or "Drugs should be legalized" or "Drugs are unhealthy and will ruin your life". This just doesn't make sense. Do these people not realize what a drug is? A drug is simply a substance that has a physiological effect(s) on your body. Those effects could be positive, negative, or a mix of both (and they are almost always a mix of both). Drugs like LSD, psilocybin, and DMT are considered hard and dangerous drugs by most of the population. However, to accompany their potentially horrifying negative effects are incredible, amazing, life-changingly positive effects. Yes, they can be dangerous, but the matter is not as simple as black and white. However, this isn't necessarily true of some drugs, such as heroin or methamphetamine. Some drugs have negative effects that absolutely outweigh their positive effects.

I am not trying to support illegal drugs. The message I'm trying to deliver is one that needs to be understood by both anti-drug and pro-drug parties. Illegal drugs have a wide variety of effects, and can alter their users in various ways. If you were sick and went to your doctor, you most likely wouldn't be satisfied with a prescription reading "medicine", because "medicine" could mean almost anything. Each and every drug is different and needs to be understood before it can be argued about.

Thank you.