Marijuana legalization | Teen Ink

Marijuana legalization

April 24, 2015
By Anonymous

Marijuana is the dried leaves and female flowers of the hemp plant, smoked in cigarette form used as a narcotic or hallucinogen. Marijuana is inhaled to get you “high” originally started in Mexico but now is everywhere. It is used in the medical field or just to cause a reaction. It should be legalized because all the great uses it has for patients as it is a better alternative to over the counter drugs that make you feel like you’re drugged into oblivion. Marijuana needs to be legalized so that it can help patients that really need it and seeing there are little to no horrible side effects it’s astounding why it’s not legal.
           

Medical marijuana has many uses in the medical field it helps with cancer patients, depression, and disorders.” It can help with many things such as sleeping problems, loss of appetite, nausea, depression, anxiety, tension, muscular spasms, and loss of energy, difficult breathing, anger, and craving for heroin.”(minamide). “It is a great alternative to other pharmaceutical drugs that patients say make them feel underwater while marijuana helps with their pain without the terrible side effects.”  It has also helped a lot of kids with their shyness or depression. It has mitigated the ravages of many diseases without terrible side effects yet it’s not legal. Yes some may say they need the drug just so they can do marijuana but the reward is a lot better than the risk as it can help so many people with their disorders. Some have said legalizing will show kids that it’s not bad so they should do it but teen usage has dropped by 10 percent since 2006. In the end the reward is so much better than the risk as medical marijuana can help a lot of people with its effects.
         

   Essentially all drugs are used in "an addictive fashion" by some people. However, for any drug to be seen as highly addictive there should be evidence that many users repeatedly fail in their attempts to not use and develop use-patterns that interfere with their life. “National epidemiological surveys show that the large majority of people who have had experience with marijuana do not become regular users. In 1993, among Americans age 12 and over, about 34% had used marijuana sometime in their life, but only 9% had used it in the past year, 4.3% in the past month, and 2.8% in the past week.”(Minamide). A longitudinal study of young adults who had first been surveyed in high school also found a discontinuing rate for marijuana. “While 77% had used the drug, 74% of those had not used in the past year and 84% had not used in the past month”. There is not a lot of evidence that marijuana produces depression and withdrawal in people However, they noted the syndrome's relatively mild nature when used many times in a certain dosage it has been shown to alter peoples lifestyle. Some may say once you get addicted that it’s hard to stop but it is shown that it only takes five sessions in therapy to quit, and if it gets to out of control for teens there guardian can control what they do and how much they use. In the end marijuana isn’t as addictive as people say and the gate way drug reference is just a myth.

           

Users should ultimately choose if they want to do “weed” or if they don’t. It is shown that Marijuana isn’t as bad as other legal drugs such as alcohol and cigarettes. As the estimated death is higher from cigarettes and alcohol than marijuana is. It is shown that it’s still easy to function when “high” off of marijuana and you can still function within everyday activities. Marijuana has no side effects except making you more alert which isn’t a bad thing which can actually help you in the end. Marijuana cannot kill you unless you inhale or smoke the same amount of weed as your body weight in the span of a full day which is impossible showing that the drug is not lethal. Marijuana should be allowed for recreational use as it has reported 0 deaths from usage and is the safest drug around the world, and it is the number one stress relieving drug. “There is no down side as about 70 percent of people that reported said they wanted the drug legalized for adults.”(minamide). In the end legalizing causes no harm as it is the safest drug around the world and only has positive uses.
           

In the end I believe marijuana should be legalized as it is the safest drug around the world with 0 reported deaths from usage and it is safer than already legal drugs. Marijuana if legalized can help so many patients in the medical field from people who need help with their chemo treatment from the harshness of cancer to people who are severely depressed or shy. It is shown that teens usage is down so legalizing won’t show kids it’s a bad thing and in the end it can only help users and has no side effects. All in all, marijuana should already of been legalized due to its amazing effects for people and what it can do to help all the people who need it medically and 70 percent already want it legalized so give the people what they want. Amazing effects for people and what it can do to help all the people who need it medically and 70 percent already want it legalized so give the people what they want.