High Adventure Hippies | Teen Ink

High Adventure Hippies

By JustinSchroeder BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
JustinSchroeder BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"
-Wayne Gretzky"
-Michael Scott

Colorado is well known for the unique rock climbing opportunities boasted by the prestigious Rocky Mountains.  And more recently, the legalization of the narcotic informally known as weed.  This is a very bad decision.  Not necessarily the legalization of this drug in general, but it's legalization HERE.

Marijuana is famous for its euphoric side effect.  However, this drug also offers "impaired coordination, difficulty with thinking and problem solving" as the National Institute of Drug Abuse (NIDA) so keenly puts it.  Now, one of the reasons I love Colorado is all of the high adventure sports it offers: skiing, rock climbing, white-water rafting, and many other fun albeit dangerous activities.  However, I personally think that the simple fact that marijuana is offered in the same place as something like white-water rafting is a bad idea. 

White-water rafting is a team activity.  It involves at least six people barreling down a river strewn with rocks, repeatedly slapping the water with paddles in a furious attempt to avoid capsizing and dying at the bottom of the river with a split in your skull.  Everything about this sport is dangerous and serious.  Now, I don’t think you really want to trust your life, and the lives of others to someone who spends the majority of his waking hours inhibited, staring at his hand and going "Whoa..."  Additionally, although it may be enjoyable at first to get them to strap on a pair of skis and push them down a mountain, you may find that to them, skiing becomes a game of dodge-tree.  And if you try to follow them as they fly down the mountain, you will inevitably see the imprint of their face on a pine tree.  It probably won't be the best experience of their lives.

Personally, I don’t have any problems with someone smoking weed.  I enjoy when someone is so stoned they laugh themselves silly about the funny shape of a lamp, or the mechanical workings of a door.  It’s no wonder why this drug was so popular in the 70’s.  This drug naturally makes people more peaceful and happy.  However, it can easily be abused and should be used with caution.

Now, I apologize for this in advance, but: the public is stupid.  I have seen posts on social media including a man taking a picture of the barrel of a gun, which was POINTED AT HIMSELF, not to mention people cutting themselves with sharp objects for a particular teen pop star that was smoking weed.  As such, the general public can be described in three words: uninformed, gullible, and stupid.  So, if one of these people knows that smoking weed makes you feel good, they very well might go out and get high.  Then, say their friends are going rock climbing.  They ignore their friend's bloodshot eyes and his cognitive impairment and take him along.  They make the poor choice of letting him belay one of the less experienced climbers in the group.  So, instead of being the safety net for that climber, he sits down on the ground and plays patty-cake with himself, all the while going "Whoa" .  Then, in summation of this hypothetical scenario, the inexperienced climber eventually falls to his death; all thanks to the textbook idiot that makes up the majority of the public and made the choice to get high and be a high-adventure Coloradan.

The Government made the poor choice to allow the legalization of marijuana in  Colorado.  The combination of high adventure sports and stoners is an incredibly dangerous combination.  Personally, I would take away the high adventure component. See, how come marijuana wasn't legalized in a place like Idaho?  Even if you do get so high you can barely walk, there isn't any danger.  I mean, it is kind of difficult to hurt yourself with a potato (although that was not a challenge).  The government made a poor decision to legalize weed in Colorado, and create a breed of high adventure hippies.

I wrote this piece as an english project.  I tried to make this as comedic as possible, even though legal weed in Colorado is a very serious issue.