A Mile High State | Teen Ink

A Mile High State

September 14, 2014
By hayleymustin BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
hayleymustin BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

On January 1st, Colorado became the first state to legalize marijuana for recreational use. It was anything but an intelligent decision. Sure— the decision may have turned a profit but is money really more important than our states reputation and well being? “The Mile High City” should not be a statement taken literally, but sadly it is. Our state has gone from being known for our alluring mountains, ski resorts, and lush scenery, to “the legalized weed state.”

When people from out of town think about Colorado they now think “low life stoners.” It’s appalling that not many people seem to see a problem with that; I think it’s safe to say society has it wrong. When we think about the word “weed” do we really think about success, happiness and bright futures? What happened to the days where money wasn’t everything? The days when being successful and having a good reputation outweighed the need for money? I hate looking in a store window and instead of seeing just a Colorado flag hung with pride, seeing a pot leaf. Times are changing and not for the better.

The medical affects of weed are overlooked but they are pejorative to our nation’s health. Marijuana increases risks of heart attacks, strokes and many different types of cancer. It also leads to many diseases as well as social disorders, panic attacks and anxiety. It can ruin your life. In Colorado we have already seen many people try pot for the first time. But this whole “Hey we are making money off of this so who cares?” attitude needs to change before it’s too late.

As for the effects on our state, that’s a whole other story. Studies show that the use of marijuana is growing rapidly in both teens and adults since the legalization. And out of those people who decide to try it for the first time, one in six become addicted. It’s gotten to the point where you walk down the street or even through a school and the smell of marijuana is present and alive. That old rustic city smell of downtown Denver is gone.

Another problem is the fact that people are illegally taking marijuana to people outside the legal market, as well as to teenagers under the age of 21. Not to say that didn’t happen prior to the legalization, but instances of this have greatly increased.

I’m sick of turning on the news and every headline revolving around pot. There has already been so many reported cases of little kids finding edibles and accidentally eating them or pets getting stoned off of their owners smoke. It’s disgusting and disconcerting. What is it going to take in order to get our government to see the harm in the situation? It’s disturbing to think that other states may follow in Colorado’s footsteps and consider recreational legalization.

I hope one day we can go back to the simpler times where we could make ethical decisions in the interest of both health and money, instead of one or the other.

The face of Colorado is no longer a Rocky Mountain; it’s a pot leaf.