too young to drink | Teen Ink

too young to drink

By lakingarrett34 BRONZE, Cunningham, Kentucky
lakingarrett34 BRONZE, Cunningham, Kentucky
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

"YOU MISS ALL THE SHOTS YOU DONT TAKE!"

“Cheers!” should we really be hearing this from a 15 year old? More and more teens are drinking alcohol these days. According to “Binge Drinking and Alcohol Poisoning in the Adolescent Population,” “The results of community survey data revealed that by 8th grade 51.7% of adolescents have tried alcohol, increasing to 80.3% by 12th grade.” Parents these days have alcohol at their house and leave it for the teens to drink. The amount of teen alcohol abuse should decrease because it hurts their health, it cost too much money, and it’s unsafe.
One reason teen alcohol should decrease because of their health. Alcohol is a depressant, which means when alcohol gets in their system it starts blocking messages from going to their brain. Intoxication is formed by greater amounts of alcohol that cause the brain to change. The more teens drink the more chances of them getting alcohol poison. Some symptoms of alcohol poison are dangerously low blood sugar, vomiting, sleepiness, and possibly even death. Alcohol also hurts the liver meaning the younger you start drinking the shorter life you will have.
Another reason teen alcohol abuse should decrease is because of money. Teens should be using their money for more important things like collage. For some teens collage is in three years, you don’t want to wait till the last minute. Spending money on alcohol is a waste of money because it doesn’t benefit you unlike a car or a phone. According to “The Sydney Morning Heralo,” “Half NSW”S teenagers spend up to $30 a week on alcohol, a new survey has found. And 16 per cent of teenagers say the weekly grog spend is even higher.” That could be a payment on a phone.
The main reason teen alcohol abuse should decrease is because it’s not safe. When you drink large amounts of alcohol it often precedes blackouts. When driving home after drinking you have chances of blacking out making it possible to wreck. Teen drinking can also lead to sex. According to “ helpguide.org,” “ Each year approximately 97,000 students between the ages18-24 are victims of alcohol- related sexual assault or date rape.” So the more alcohol you consume the more at risk you are.
On the other hand some people think teen alcohol abuse is a good thing. Some teens drink to get away from their family. They think it’s a way to relive pain. Some teens drink because they think it’s cool. And some teens drink because their parent thinks its ok. However it’s only relives their pain for a few hours and it’s not as cool as they think when their vomiting on the side walk.
In conclusion teen alcohol abuse should decrease because it hurts their health, it cost too much money, and it’s not safe.as you can see the age of teens drinking is dropping every day. I hope you see my point unless you want to see a three year old drinking in the year of 2016.

i truely believe teen alcohol should decresse.