Marijuana Legalize or Keep Illegal | Teen Ink

Marijuana Legalize or Keep Illegal

January 24, 2014
By AmberReid BRONZE, Clear Lake, Minnesota
AmberReid BRONZE, Clear Lake, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

What is marijuana and why is it a popular topic? Marijuana is a preparation of the Cannabis plant intended for use as a psychoactive drug and as medicine-Wikipedia. Marijuana is a big topic because 51% of Americans think marijuana should be legalized; that’s more than half of the American population.
People say that marijuana is the most commonly abused illegal drug, not only in the United States but around the world. People believe that it is the leading cause of substance dependent. Also that 2/3 of Americans are suffering from “marijuana abuse.” They believe marijuana should most definitely be illegal because if it becomes legal, the amount of marijuana users will increase to a substantial amount, and that calls for more “addiction.”
While the other 51% percent (including myself) think that marijuana has medicinal purposes. For one, we follow in the footsteps of our leader, Barack Obama (who has smoked pot, as well as Andrew Jackson, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, George Washington, and Jesse Ventura). Also, our jails are getting filled more and more with people who get caught with a tiny bag of weed (term for marijuana). Shouldn’t we worry more about the actual offensives like hard drugs, serial killers, etc.? If marijuana was legal, kids wouldn’t be exposed to the other drugs. They would focus on buying one thing, pot.
In the early 1900’s it was known that marijuana was the “million dollar crop.” Hemp was apparently the best fabric; it could be used as a new bio-fuel, and many other things such as medicinal use.
What you learn in schools is that marijuana is a hard drug. I personally do not consider it a “hard drug” because it’s technically not an addictive drug (only psychologically), you can’t overdose on it either. If you look up online right now tell me how many people have died from marijuana? None. Yet our government says it’s okay to have people smoke rat poison (cigarettes) and drink alcohol. This kills people, and ruins our bodies. We need natural not unnatural.


The author's comments:
LEGALIZE IT