people need to open their eyes | Teen Ink

people need to open their eyes

By maria aguirre BRONZE, Bloomfield, Michigan
maria aguirre BRONZE, Bloomfield, Michigan

People Need To Open Their Eyes

Why do so many people smoke? People smoke because of stress. People smoke because they think it’s cool. People smoke to make them “thin”. People need to realize the bad stuff about cigarettes.
There are many reasons why smoking is bad. In 1985, according to an feral trade commission report, the average tobacco cigarette contained 16mg ‘tar` and 1.0mg of nicotine. A cigarette now is five to ten times more powerful than it was.
Smoking is responsible for several diseases, such as cancer, long tern (chronic) respiratory diseases and heart disease, as well as premature death. Over 440,000 people in the USA and 100,000 in the UK die because of smoking each year. People with diabetes who smoke face even greater risks. Diabetes itself is a serious disease with deadly complications such as a far higher risk of developing heart disease and stroke.
There is no safe level of smoking and there are absolutely no health benefits. This is not surprising when you consider the ingredients in cigarette smoke: about 4,000 known toxins, including 50 substances known to cause cancer. Every puff exposes your cells and tissues to such chemicals such as arsenic, acetone, ammonia, carbon monoxide, cyanide, mercury, nicotine, and lead.
I think gas stations and stores should banned cigarettes. They shouldn’t sell them. There should be a law. People think cigarettes can make you thin and it takes stress away. People don’t even care about what they can really do to your body in the future. If there was a law, I don’t think people will follow it. People might lose their jobs and money.
When alcohol became a law and where you have to be an age like over 21 to buy it, people still under age drink it. Weed is illegal and people still smoke it and sell it. So if cigarettes became illegal, I don’t think people will follow it, people are so into cigarettes that it’s so hard to quit.
People need to open their eyes. They need to see what cigarettes actually do to your body. Cigarettes do so much damage to your body. They cause black teeth, If you were a pretty girl, I’m pretty sure you don’t want black nasty teeth. Some people just smoke to be ‘cool` but really, it’s not cool at all.
Quitting smoking is one of the most important things. People who have health problems are at a higher risk. No matter how long an individual has smoked, health improvements will occur after quitting. Quit now.