Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

May 18, 2008
By Anonymous

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 740 comments.


on Jun. 25 2011 at 1:44 pm
EmilyKnowlton GOLD, North Grafton, Massachusetts
12 articles 12 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Everybody love everybody."

Although you have obviously done your research, I strongly disagree. You bring up good points, such as the availability of alcohol, and other priviliages given to an adult of eighteen, but the drinking age is 21 for a specific reason. Even though people are considered "Adults" at eighteen, that doesn't mean their brain is fully developed. The human brain is not developed fully until 21. Anyways, "Adult" is just a lable. How many adults do you know that really shouldn't be considered an adult? The drinking age isn't 21 because you aren't an adult, or because it isn't available, but for the safety of other people. You mentioned the car accidents yourself; the drinking age will not be lowered, it is too dangerous now. I believe that you can live your life how you would like it live it, and screw it up if you want to, but don't screw other innocent peoples lives up too.

Zmickey said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 7:01 am
You must of spent a lot of time writing this- good job. However, I don't agree with you. Kids should drink at 21 because kids would have responsibility at that age. They need to not be allowed alcohol until they are at an age that makes informed descisions. They need to know that alcohol is not a necessity of life. Why not have ginger ale! Do kids want the effects of drinking too much. They shouldn't get hooked at a young age. Also, I think that the government has more important issues that need serious discussion than this! They are busy people- they try to obtain a drinking age higher than other countries, to prevent any problems that come along with drinking. It's not worth it, there are plenty of fun things that you can do with your friends that are actually healthy. Stay smart!

Mariam.J GOLD said...
on Jun. 25 2011 at 2:19 am
Mariam.J GOLD, Dubai, Other
16 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't have many favourite quotes , though I do love the truth that 'change is constant .'
For you , a thousand times over - Hassan , The Kite Runner
If you want to leave footprints in the sands of time , don't drag your feet - Rudyard Kipling

As much as I applaude your efforts for posting this article here and engagin everyone in a decent argument, I for one do NOT agree with this . :/

Sorry, but lowering the drinking age is just gonna make it worse . Kids as young as 13 , where I come from , drink and lowering the age is not gonna make any difference to this . If anything, it'll just INCREASE the number of teens drinking .

And comparing it with something as patriotic and meaningful as fighting for your country.. I'm sorry, I don't think so :/ . (Even though, granted, you ARE killing people at 18 . But for a just cause, I think . Your country is reason enough, is it not ? )

But again, thank you for submitting this . Something to think about  : )

 


rockyraccoon said...
on Jun. 17 2011 at 7:52 pm
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
today tommorow next month next year all look remarkably gray.

I don't think lowering the drinking age would realy help. Sure some teens would stop because it was no longer realy a rebelious thing to do but teens who are depressed or such would just be encouraged to drink more and in a way it would still probaly be considered rebelious because alot of parents would not let their kids drink and they would still be breaking some rules.

on Jun. 16 2011 at 11:38 pm
bluebonnet BRONZE, Sugar Land, Texas
3 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To the world, you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world."

While this was well-written, I don't agree with your arguments. First of all, if teens can't be responsible enough to wait until they are legally able to drink, then how would it help to make it legal? That would just mean more would do it and it would be easier for them to get alcohol. Second, I believe that making it legal to drink earlier would send the wrong message about drinking- i. e. "Hey, when those older teenagers started drinking, they changed the laws. That must mean that it's okay for me to drink, too."

on Jun. 13 2011 at 3:54 pm
ZeeBYoung BRONZE, Coatesville, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 72 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. :)

I honestly dont think the age should be lowered. If your drinking to deal with stress or peer pressure, drinking will do nothing but get you more depressed. Ive seen how alcohol can make people act. Actually I see it from my mom and her friends all the time, and let me tell you, Its nothing pretty...

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 12 2011 at 6:51 pm
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

Yes but i know some teenagres who dont drink because its illegal and i know some younger kids who would strive to break a law if it was more in reach. Lowering it could have some serious effects :

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 12 2011 at 6:31 pm
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

If you do your research the number of dead from the war we are currently in is around 6500. Mot a million. The media inflate the idea of death in the war to attract people who are concerned. Its a fact cuz lets face it. This isnt World war 2 where we are unprepared. Our men are well equiped and trained by the best. So no...no millions...thousands. Thousands of families are missing someone they lost to the war but so are the thousands of families that have lost some one to a freakin idiot who drank to much. Stop fighting with me. Cuz do you really think im stupid? Cuz im not.

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 12 2011 at 6:26 pm
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

Just stating an opinion. And if others dont agree with mine i argue because i dont want people to end up like my idiot friends and kill people.

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 11 2011 at 4:59 pm
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

When two of your friends are dead from an alchole related accident and the other one is in jail under manslaughter counts then maybe youll understand why i couldnt care less about these peoples feelings. So mind ur own buisness.

on Jun. 9 2011 at 2:49 pm
twix.n.pixi.stix7 GOLD, Stewartsville, New Jersey
11 articles 0 photos 32 comments

Favorite Quote:
"you can dream big
or you can dream small
the important thing
is that you're dreaming at all"
~me! haha i wrote that :)

no thats not what im saying... murder is a totally different thing. we dont have a large problem with teenagers illegally killing people for fun. besides, thats not what we are talking about. we're talking about drinking. all im saying is that half the fun of underage drinking is feeling like you're donig something illegal. if it was completely legal, nothing special, less people would want to do it  

on Jun. 9 2011 at 12:15 pm
SaMiLoVe97 SILVER, Okawville, Illinois
9 articles 3 photos 105 comments

Favorite Quote:
If it doesnt break your heart it isnt love, if it doesnt break your heart its not enough. Its when youre breaking down with your insides coming out.Thats when you learn what youre made of.-Switchfoot<3

not that many people die during the war???? whoah. yah tell that to the millions of families missing a person who was close to them. wow. your ridiculous.

on Jun. 8 2011 at 9:55 pm
SaMiLoVe97 SILVER, Okawville, Illinois
9 articles 3 photos 105 comments

Favorite Quote:
If it doesnt break your heart it isnt love, if it doesnt break your heart its not enough. Its when youre breaking down with your insides coming out.Thats when you learn what youre made of.-Switchfoot<3

are you always rude to people? god. theyr allowed to put their opinions out there, and so are you. but its not okay to be down right nasty to someone. quit jumping on everyone for everything they say just because they dont have the same beliefs as you. mmmmkay? thanks.(:

on Jun. 8 2011 at 9:52 pm
SaMiLoVe97 SILVER, Okawville, Illinois
9 articles 3 photos 105 comments

Favorite Quote:
If it doesnt break your heart it isnt love, if it doesnt break your heart its not enough. Its when youre breaking down with your insides coming out.Thats when you learn what youre made of.-Switchfoot<3

okay well um. maybe you shouldnt be so rude to people first off. you do whatever it is to handle your stress. you have your way of fun just like ilovebooze123.drinking isnt that big of a problem as long as you dont drive under the influence. and what  drunk driver ever gets the thrill of taking someone elses life? people make mistakes ya know. thats low for you to say that. ik someone who has accidentally taken someones life that way. so maybe consider other peoples feelings before you go off on someone.

on Jun. 5 2011 at 2:12 pm
BrittneyCloud SILVER, Albuquerque, New Mexico
7 articles 0 photos 29 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Dont tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

Ya but they were underaged drinkers. So wether the age limit is 21 or 18 they still got drunk and they still died. So really it doesnt really matter what the age limit is. People of all ages drive drunk either way.

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:41 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

Quick question...How does lowering the drinking age make it anymore okay? and another question...aren't those other countries more respectful than us and not full of rebelious teenagers that go out and do drugs and drink?

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:36 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

but we are impulsive and immature. :) I'm 15 and don't mind being called that because I know it's true. I've had enough hard reality experiences that i can look at us from the adults eyes. Teens these days are disrespectful, impulsive, and immature and I'm one of them!

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:34 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

I had three friends under the age of 21 die in a alcohol related accident. So screw this artical. The drinking age needs to stay in place because giving into you alcholics is only going to cause more problems.

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:27 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

???murders illegal...should we make that legal too???

Meko8195 said...
on Jun. 5 2011 at 7:26 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

probably because of people like you? If your immature enough to say screw the law and drink before 21 then obviously your immature enough to harm yourself or others. The law should stay the way it is. If you have stress I would try to find a less deadly way of getting rid of it. And as for being fun? Well i guess some people consider hangovers, blackouts, ad near death experiences fun. Oh and don't forget about the people who get the thrill of taking someone elses life. -.-