Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

By Harold Gonzalez, Wyoming, MI

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

on Oct. 13 2011 at 9:43 pm
KPetty13 BRONZE, Saint Cloud, Florida

"If you're lucky enought to be different, never change." ~ Taylor Swift

Nice job, this article was very well written. However, I have to disagree with you on this one. 

on Oct. 13 2011 at 3:35 pm
ThePeaceDaisy BRONZE, Albany, New York

“Laundry is the only thing that should be separated by color.” - Unknown
I will change this every week!

I see your point, but I don't know if I agree. Xella714 is right about the mind still being developed. It's true. 

on Oct. 13 2011 at 9:43 am
JillianNora SILVER, Forest Park, Illinois

"Do not let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity." -1 Timothy 4:12

I see your arguement, and it's a good one. Very well written:)

babylocs said...
on Oct. 12 2011 at 7:27 pm
ppl who r 18 are old enough to make their own decisions and they shuld know that they hav to drink responsibly and not to abuse the alcohol use. . .

on Oct. 5 2011 at 12:22 pm
shutup xella714 your probably like 64

ghjkghj said...
on Oct. 3 2011 at 1:35 pm
ghghmhghbhmkjhkjhkjhjhkjk

kimani236 said...
on Sep. 22 2011 at 9:38 am
I don't agree with that at all because alcohol destroys the mind and 90 percent of the people that do drink are not secessful in the future

kiman236 said...
on Sep. 22 2011 at 9:35 am
I really agree with that my teacher keeps telling me that the law is the people but  we are the people , people under 18 but people and I think the voting age should be lowered also they are representing us so why can't we vote?

on Sep. 21 2011 at 11:49 am
Xella714 BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts

I don't agree with this because the mind is still developing, however I do think the voting age should be lowered

Yewith said...
on Sep. 13 2011 at 7:58 pm
yew yew yew yew yew

jmdsl BRONZE said...
on Sep. 6 2011 at 5:56 pm
jmdsl BRONZE, Vigo, Other
1 article 1 photo 9 comments

theres no second time without third time

I sort of agree and disagree

I live in Spain and you can buy alcohol from when you are 18 years old that i think iis quite good as its when you finish school and you can live without your parents

but the bad thing is that younger people believe that there isnt much age diference so they drink too (my 14 year old friends go out and get drunk at night)  and that is bad as it are brain is still developing

navyman88 said...
on Aug. 30 2011 at 4:37 pm
believe it or not laws are put into place for a reason..so that we can have order..if there is no order then we would have chaos

on Aug. 30 2011 at 10:28 am
ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
The article was nicely put together though!

on Aug. 30 2011 at 10:24 am
Believe it or not, laws or put into place for good reason.

on Aug. 30 2011 at 10:23 am
People who want to drink, are going to drink whether or not the drinking age is lowered. They can't lower it, because then anyone who drinks while they're brain is still developing could get the government in some major trouble.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 19 2011 at 10:40 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York

You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

The drinking age is in place because your brain doesn't stop developing until you're in your 20s. Therefore, they do not want to impede progress with alcohol.

Not like lowering the drinking age would change things.

phoneyjunta said...
on Aug. 13 2011 at 12:33 pm
phoneyjunta, London, Other

If this is it, show me the door.

Drinking isn't bad for you, I have been allowed a bit of wine at lunch since I was about seven, and I don't have anything wrong with me. Fine, drinking vodka shots everyday is bad, but in moderation alcohol is not bad. I don't care about it much, if I feel like having some wine at lunch I'll have it, if I don't, I say no thank you. But my friends, whose parents don't let them drink, feel compelled to drink every time some alcohol is put in front of them, and throw up from over consumption every week-end. My parents aren't bad parents, they understood that this is a way to make children enjoy and appreciate alcohol, but allows them to understand that they don't need to drink every time some alcohol is offered to them. 

People who say that viewing alcohol as a normal thing is bad, are wrong, since if you view it as normal to drink some of the time, then you don't feel compelled to have a drink if it is offered. I come from the UK and alcohol is widely consumed there, it is no uncommon for people to drink a bottle of wine in a night basically every week, and I know that America's views on alcohol are more extreme, but I feel that the misconception that all alcohol is bad, can be damaging to children, since they will never be able to enjoy alcohol responsibly until they are in their thirties and the damage to their liver will be done. 

on Aug. 8 2011 at 8:28 pm
NinjaHummingbird, Manalapan, New Jersey

If we all fail, we fail together. XD

good point. I agree with you 100%.

on Aug. 8 2011 at 8:27 pm
NinjaHummingbird, Manalapan, New Jersey

If we all fail, we fail together. XD

Well written, but, if we lowered the drinking age it would not make any difference. People of all ages under any drinking age, whether they are 12 or 20, would find some way to get alcohol, and the same amount of people would die in drunk driving accidents.

xSeeUx SILVER said...
on Aug. 8 2011 at 7:52 pm
xSeeUx SILVER, Ishpeming, Michigan

Just because your paranoid don't mean there not after you- Nirvana

well some people have problems some do not... its just as simple as that

SciArc

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!