Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

LogicLady said...

By your reasoning, we should outlaw some of the things we want teenagers to do.  This way they will do those things to get the "high" of breaking the law. But somehow I don't think that will work.  

Fact:  the brain is not fully developed until around age 25.  Fact:  using things (alcohol, drugs) that change the brain chemistry can slow down and inhibit brain development (which also inhibits further emotional development).  I don't know about you, but I want to give myself the best chance of fully developing.  I can get my "highs" in other ways that don't have to include breaking the law or potentially damaging my future.

LogicLady said...

TheSihlouettedMan BRONZE, Hinckley, Ohio

"There is something more to the knowledge that allows us to see. Some rely on logic to be their eyes. Others believe they know what logic is. But to be completely faithful in logic, you must someday realize that it points to the incomprehensible."

to rob1996:

(angrilly) How?

To Blairezie:

Just because I'm not choosing to drink at 15 doesn't mean others won't. As the age law decreases the opportunity to drink will be opened to even younger teenagers who will have easier access to it. BY THE WAY you're not taking into account that the author's post did not mention "Why is an eighteen year old able to choose if they can die for their country?" It said WORD FOR WORD!!!!- "Well you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of 18(WHICH YOU CAN'T GENIOUS!!!!!!!) but I can't have a sip of alcohol?" Read your facts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Honestly, you didn't just disagree with CorrinaElisabeth's logic you disagreed with pure logic.

I respect your thoughts but I'm just curious, if the parties are already dangerous why risk letting alcohol get in the hands of younger (less matured) teens?

Oh, and by the way, I am really not trying to rag on any other countries, but by using the exact same statistical science you did in your source (Dr. Engs) it has been proven that areas with these younger drinking laws have had a much higher crime rate. You say it's is worth a chance to make the change, and if everyhting goes bad change it again. I waould just like to point out that if everything goes bad, we will know by the hundreds of thousands of lives that have either died or suffered from from this dangerous law! Is that the chance worth taking? You also said that the high teens get from breaking the age 21 law is why they drink, then you mention lowering the age so that they won't feel the need to do it any more. Well, are we going to let the younger society star to do the same thing? What I'm trying to get to is that you just stated that to keep teens from abusing the law, we'll open up the chance to even younger teens. Where's the logic in that?

You have every right to share your opinion but I have to be honest when I say that I can't see the slightest logic in this. As you say, breaking the law is a huge feeling for teens. This may very well be a reason they drink but lets not be hasty to give a reason as to why they all do it. Have you ever taken into account the chance of addiction being the cause? You also say that it's easy enough for teens to find alcohol in parent's cabinets. All in all that's a mistake on them. Parents need to guard that and watch their children, and if they can't, they need to find help or make some more extreme actions. Finally and by far most important you say to lower the drinking age to stop the high teens get from breaking the law. Think about it, in doing this you will get younger children to start! If the age is lowered it is easier for younger people to get a hold of this stuff!!! It is bad enough that we have to deal with texting at the wheel but should this become another issue? Lets be honest, maturity itself is not always strong among younger ages. If younger age is legalized, the feeling of breaking the law is open to a whole new age group, and so is the chance for addiction, and peer pressure towards drinking, and most importantly, death by irresponsibility.

on Jul. 3 2012 at 10:48 am
xWritingGeek13x SILVER, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

"I don't know how you'll do it, but you will change the world for the better."
-My Mother

I somewhat agree with this article. I see your point, but I don't believe that the percentage of underage drinking would go down. I believe it would stay the same. Since the legal drinking age is 21, people that are 17 and up (some younger) are drinking. If the drinking age goes down to, say, 18, then teenagers aged 14 (give or take) would start to drink, thus keeping the amount the same.

As for the writing itself, you did a fairly well time getting your point across. I would like to see a few sources, because there were some statistics that didn't have a source to prove. Also, you started out this article with stating facts, but then as the article went on, it started to turn a lot more opinionated. 

on May. 20 2012 at 12:25 am
Aeliss-Novak-the-Zombie-Space-Pirate BRONZE, That Place With All The Trees And Stuff, Oregon

Impossible is not a word, just a reason not to try.~Kutless

I'm going to smile and make you think I'm happy, I'm going to laugh, so you don't see me cry, I'm going to let you go in style, and even if it kills me - I'm going to smile.~Anonymous

I agree with the first bit, but 'everyone caught with it should be shot?' What? Shooting someone because of drinking would be much worse than drunk driving. If someone wanted to have a bit because it tastes good is that a reason to kill him? Or even if they are drinking because they are depressed or like the feeling it gives them there is no reason to shoot them. Most people who drink are not a danger to anyone. My dad occasionaly drinks a little beer. He always does it at home, not driving, and he never gets drunk. Would you shoot him?

Francesca.L. BRONZE, Silver Spring, Maryland
I think this is a great article, and something I've thought for a while too. Drinking should be accepted and taught in moderation. then we'd have fewer cases of alcohol poisoning in minors. 

crazy.cmp said...
this does not make any scence

MassieKurh BRONZE, Pittsville, Wisconsin

love is like a tattoo while the process can be painful and the bright vibrant colors form the beginning may fade the product in the end is everlasting.

this argument could go both ways. in one way it could cause less illeagal drinking busts. b ut6 it6 could also ccause some other major problems, such as alchol poising.

meemee13 said...
 verry much disagree if anything there should be no drinking age to teach young ones it is okay to enjoy alcohol in moderation

King123 said...
I think, its not dangerous to lower the drinking age. I live in Germany and you are allowed to drink beer and wine with 16 and the harder stuff with 18 here. And we still dont have major problems with that. I mean, there's always some people, who exxagerate, but i guess that happens in every country, also over the drinking age. I have been in America last year and were at a few highschool parties and there its much more dangerous than here! So i guess, lowering the age would be the best thing, the government of the us could do, because in all the countries in europe it works too!

boblover said...
on Apr. 6 2012 at 8:21 am
Shut up. No one wants to hear that. When you're eight teen, you tak eon responsibilities.

I found this to be very helpful for my assignment. I enjoy your opinion, though I do with that you had put more thought into sources for your examples and had a proof reader. I would strongly suggest a proof reader before turning this essay in to any teacher. 

Mr. Truth said...
I TOTALY DISAGREE WITH THE ARTICAL I THINK THE AGE SHOULD BE INCREASED TOO 25- YEARS OF AGE

loving crow said...
That is quite an interesting theroy, that could either end in a great sucess or a major fail. If we lower the drinking age more people will be allowed to drink, though since more people can drink less people will be pressured into drinking if it is more common and they have a choice. Like I said quite an interesting theroy, but also a very dangerous one. 

adam walker said...
adam walker, Dawson, Nebraska
well then no matter what they will just keep lowering it