Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

ohheyyyelli said...
Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:23 am
People who want to drink, are going to drink whether or not the drinking age is lowered. They can't lower it, because then anyone who drinks while they're brain is still developing could get the government in some major trouble.

:) :) replied...
agree completely

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

The drinking age is in place because your brain doesn't stop developing until you're in your 20s. Therefore, they do not want to impede progress with alcohol.

Not like lowering the drinking age would change things.

phoneyjunta said...

Drinking isn't bad for you, I have been allowed a bit of wine at lunch since I was about seven, and I don't have anything wrong with me. Fine, drinking vodka shots everyday is bad, but in moderation alcohol is not bad. I don't care about it much, if I feel like having some wine at lunch I'll have it, if I don't, I say no thank you. But my friends, whose parents don't let them drink, feel compelled to drink every time some alcohol is put in front of them, and throw up from over consumption eve... (more »)

NinjaHummingbird said...
Well written, but, if we lowered the drinking age it would not make any difference. People of all ages under any drinking age, whether they are 12 or 20, would find some way to get alcohol, and the same amount of people would die in drunk driving accidents.

PorcelainValentine said...
well some people have problems some do not... its just as simple as that

BalletGirl98 said...

Your article is nicely written and I believe you spent a lot of time on it, but I disagree. For one reason, drunk driving would go up. But if the drinking age is lowered to eighteen, what about all the sixteen year olds and seventeen year olds who drink?

Anyway, I applaud your article because it was well written and you did support you opinion with some facts. Good job!

emolover95 said...
I totally disagree. We are all teenagers on this website, but yet I don't feel the need to rebel and break the law that you claim is the reason kids are the way we are. I think that lowering the drinking age will only increase the amount of alcohol consumed by people under the age of twenty-one. Our frontal lobes in our brains are not fully formed until we are in our twenties, which is why we have a hard time connecting actions and consequences. So for now, we should keep the drinking age at twe... (more »)

NinjaHummingbird replied...
good point. I agree with you 100%.

Missyninja said...
Aug. 8, 2011 at 10:53 am
Your artical was good I could tell you worked on it. It makes logical sence and it is worth a try. Also all teens should know that with drinking not only are you likely to kill your self or someone else when your drunk. Alcohol kills your liver over time when it's abused.

L.B.C.. said...
It's important to keep it the way it is because young people's body are fluxuating to a point where they are constantly trying to find out what is normal for them. If you drink at a young age your body will decide it is a normal thing, and then you have a good chance of getting into alcoholism, which ruins tons of lives.

ddr1212 said...
would you mind citing where the famous phrase, "“we want you to join the military and protect your country.” is derived?

ddr1212 replied...
Sounds about right

Thoreau420 said...
Your point that you can legally kill a man but still can't have a drink of alcohol is an excellent one. I believe in many ways the age should be lowered, but there's just one thing that stops me, drunk driving. I have no issues with alcohol or any drugs really as long as the harm is consolidated to only yourself. And it is true that when the drinking age was lower drunk driving accidents sky rocketed. I think the only way we could possibly lower the drinking age is if we had a fail-safe way to k... (more »)

sayaren said...

You don't know me, so how do you know what I have gone through? Plenty of people have lost friends and family to drunks and drunk driving and you're making an assumption that no one has ever felt like you or gone through this and that no one ever will. It's  extremely childish and closeminded.

Insulting people does the opposite of what you're saying! It makes them less likely to want to listen to you. You're acting like a naive child, and I have better ways to spend my time than b... (more »)

EmilyKnowlton said...
Although you have obviously done your research, I strongly disagree. You bring up good points, such as the availability of alcohol, and other priviliages given to an adult of eighteen, but the drinking age is 21 for a specific reason. Even though people are considered "Adults" at eighteen, that doesn't mean their brain is fully developed. The human brain is not developed fully until 21. Anyways, "Adult" is just a lable. How many adults do you know that really shouldn't be considered an adult? Th... (more »)

FroBro replied...
In European contries the kids start drinking at 12 or 13 and they don't even have a quarter of the alchohaulics we have.

EmilyKnowlton replied...
12 and 13 year olds can't drive. They're only hurting themselves.

Antoinette16 replied...
I think you're missing a major point in his writing. Most teens drink to be rebellious-which he mentioned. I'm 16 and I have tons of friends who drink just because they know they are breaking the law. If the drinking age is lowered so that there is no law to break, most teens wouldn't even consider picking up a beer bottle. Drinking to most teens is a game of will I get caught or not, if there is no one chasing them-policeman, then the game is boring and they won't wanna play. Btw, I don't drink... (more »)

Meko8195 replied...
I have freinds that drink out of depression and anger. It makes them feel good. But its horrible for ur health and you can kill someone. My Best friend crashed and died with her friend because of ther "good time" :(

ase123 replied...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 10:03 am
thats kool and they turned out fine right