Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

on Nov. 1 2013 at 10:43 am
they do that because your brain is not developed all the way un til mid 20's  

on Oct. 28 2013 at 2:27 pm
i think that the appropriate age to start drinking should be lowered because the age to go into the service is 18,  and if you are able to go into the service and risk your life you should be able to drink.

on Sep. 24 2013 at 2:44 pm
lilty17w_side, Mcminnville, Tennessee

in it to win it

i like how you think girl  

Georgep94 said...
on Sep. 20 2013 at 10:23 pm
Here's my point of view. Some young men like me in the world see their lives different from others... I graduated high school and never went to college, I Work, hard. I work a full time job to earn my living, vote every 4 yrs, forced to enlist in a legal war draft (if ever put into effect), but I can't drink. I am 19 going on 20, and for people like me who have all adult responsibilities, yet can't go reward my hard week labor as an electrician with a "cold one", is a real kick in the head... How about we pass a state law to allow teens above age 18, and below 21, to PAY the state a fee for a liquor obtaining permit. You drink IRRESPONSIBLY, you LOOSE your permit. DWI, RIOTS, CRIME, or any nonsense out of hand while intoxicated; say goodbye to your permit and wait until your 21 to drink. It's people who are irresponsible who ruined the drinking policy for people like me and many others. We look to have a good time, but stay responsible... After all, we are legal adults, being over 18 to make our own decisions. Now, about that liquor permit to drink; anybody mature in their right mind knows that it would be a privilege to drink under the age of 21, and shall drink responsibly, they may have that dreaded day of work the next day, like yours truly. What we need to understand is freedom should come with responsibilities. I have many of those, and I feel many others in the world are in my same shoes. We deserve a little more slack on the underage drinking "leash". - think about it... - States make money for permit application fees -Responsible teens like me get a little more freedom and social life - underage drinking laws apply to those who either don't obtain the permit or loose their one chance permit due to irresponsible actions while intoxicated. Like car crashes. (Worried about fatalities?) Look how many under age drink related fatalities there are now! How could it get worse if teens are committing themselves to the permits as being "responsible under age drinkers, and know that they loose their privilege if the have any mishaps. And for those unfortunate to do so, just go back to square one, where we are now at " no drinks till' 21. who is with me on my ideas here? I don't think I'm the only one with these thoughts!

on Aug. 23 2013 at 5:32 pm
  I doubt it will happen, simply because there are only 3 years worth of people whom the law affects, none of which have much political power. The only reason I could see it being lowered would be if they started drafting people at age 18, and people got pissed off because they had to go die for their country but to keep them safe they made sure they couldn't drink a glass of wine or a bottle of beer in their own home for 3 more years. That's what happened in the Vietnam War. Unfortunately, it was raised back to 21 in 1984.  

on Aug. 19 2013 at 11:24 am
stellamaare BRONZE, Moskow, Other

We can be heroes just for one day.

I don't agree with you, because i never drinking any alcohol, i never was and never will. I think that teenagers needn't to drink. At Russia bying alcohol agree from 18,  but teenagers at my home drink everyday, they are alcoholcs, but they do it legal. When they started they weren't think that they will  drinking everyday, i think.

on Aug. 1 2013 at 3:54 pm
bookmouse BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
I wouldn't say I agree with the point it makes, but this essay is well written and well argued.

ALenny GOLD said...
on Aug. 1 2013 at 8:14 am
ALenny GOLD, Melbourne, Other

Colour my life with the chaos of trouble.

I'm Australian and just turned 18. My friends and I are all very responsible, drinkning significantly less than our parents and only on rare occassion. There is no reason why America shouldn't lower it to 18, as you said, 18 year olds are legal adults and deserve to be treated as such. If you can live by yourself, vote, drive, than you can sure as hell have a beer at the pub!

on Jun. 10 2013 at 10:42 am
Alleenstaande BRONZE, Newfoundland, Pennsylvania

"Life is too short to be serious all the time." -My sister, Annie Krause

The point of the whole lowering the drinking age doesn't matter, today in society. Drinking is always going to happen underage, no matter what the law says. Even if someone wanted to lower the age, that would be completely pointless because then people would be less matured and being less resposible. Especially now with people being parents at such young ages, we need responsible parents that aren't going to unexpectedly having children and abandoning them. Joining the military, getting your license, etc. do not have anything to do with the drinking ages. What you are saying is a good point, if you even have the thought, you should never just talk about it, it was a poor topic to talk about lowering the drinking age. If you'd like to drink underage then do it in the comfort of your own home and be responsible.

on Jun. 10 2013 at 10:34 am
McDevitt BRONZE, Greentown, Pennsylvania
no I dont belive that the drinking age should be lowered. The drinking age is right where it should be. If we lowered the drinking age we would have more deaths every year from drinking. People wouldn't be able to handle it if we did lower it. Most people aren't repossiable to deal with alcohol. Most people just abuse it and cause harm when they drink. So i dont feel that it should be lowered.

on Jun. 10 2013 at 10:25 am
SmittyrSam BRONZE, Lackawaxen, Pennsylvania

“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.” -john lennon

I really think you have a point there. Though there may be negitive affects on lowering the drinking age. Really it depends on maturity and the ability to controll portions. alcoholics and obease people have the same issue... not knowing when to stop! nice work, keep it up! :)

on Jun. 7 2013 at 12:04 pm
lilramos BRONZE, Canadensis, Pennsylvania

"Dont judge a book by its cover"

I agree with everything you said in this article. I agree that if you can sign into the military at the age of 18 you should be able to drink at the age of 18. also i think the age of 18 is good because thats when you become a legal adult. There should be no problem with it because no matter what age a kid/adult are if they wanna drink they will find a way to get someone to buy them alcohol. Also if they lower the drinking age the only rule should be that if your under the age of 21 you have to drink and stay inside a house and you should not be aloud to go out in public or even drive a car.

on Jun. 6 2013 at 10:38 am
OptimusPrime123 BRONZE, Lake Ariel, Pennsylvania

"All you need is Love" -John Lennon

Well, in my opinion, I believe that lowering the drinking age is not a good idea. I feel that if it gets lowered it will give more teens the option to drink and a higher risk of alcohol abusers. Not to get aggressive, but I don’t think that lowering the drinking age is remotely a good choice to even bring up. I also think since the driving age is 16 that there is a chance of more drunk driving accidents. So to be honest, I would have to disagree with the choice to lower the age on drinking.

quinnc said...
on Jun. 5 2013 at 9:01 am
there would be less people drinking under age but there would be more people that are drunks...the teens that are allowed to drink wouldnt be responsable about it

on May. 27 2013 at 3:35 pm
writingriver05 SILVER, Boise, Idaho

"Reach for the moon, even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars."

First of all i must say that this is a very well devoloped article but that the drinking age should not be lowered. I mean do you even know a teenagers point of view your just showing us facts and figures. Im sorry buts its just an opinion  

jessabc said...
on May. 25 2013 at 7:23 am
ummm no...my friend went right out of basic which is only 3 months....he was 18

NinoM BRONZE said...
on Apr. 29 2013 at 3:32 am
NinoM BRONZE, Walker, Michigan
Very well written, in fact points I have used myself in the past.

on Apr. 11 2013 at 3:40 pm
paleteenager PLATINUM, Fountain Hills, Arizona
So someone can go fight for our country and risk their life but they can't have a beer?

on Apr. 5 2013 at 4:07 am
SilentWhitness SILVER, Peoria, Arizona

It's only the worst day of your life so far.

I believe that this is a very well put together piece and congratulations, however some of it is so mindbogglingly dumb and uninformed that i found it difficult to keep reading. FIRST OF ALL i drink, and i have never heard of a teen seeking out liquer just to go teehee this is fun because i am breaking the rules. seriously. and do they also smoke cigarettes because its illegal? or look at porn because its illegal? NO! DUH! we do it because we have reasons that we want to whether it be just for the feeling or to drown the sorrows, and you know what i believe that the drinking age should be lowered but it is sure as heck not because of your article.

Shorty1560 said...
on Apr. 3 2013 at 11:08 am
This is stupid u don't go to war at age 19 there's 2 years of training.!! U kill ppl at age 20 I disagree on this big time.!!!