Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

TheSihlouettedMan said...
You have every right to share your opinion but I have to be honest when I say that I can't see the slightest logic in this. As you say, breaking the law is a huge feeling for teens. This may very well be a reason they drink but lets not be hasty to give a reason as to why they all do it. Have you ever taken into account the chance of addiction being the cause? You also say that it's easy enough for teens to find alcohol in parent's cabinets. All in all that's a mistake on them. Parents need to g... (more »)

TheSihlouettedMan replied...
Oh, and by the way, I am really not trying to rag on any other countries, but by using the exact same statistical science you did in your source (Dr. Engs) it has been proven that areas with these younger drinking laws have had a much higher crime rate. You say it's is worth a chance to make the change, and if everyhting goes bad change it again. I waould just like to point out that if everything goes bad, we will know by the hundreds of thousands of lives that have either died or suffered from ... (more »)

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I think that drinking consumption in teens would lower if the age was lowered. Its suppodesly 'Cool' do drink when your not supposed to. 

xWritingGeek13x said...
Jul. 3, 2012 at 10:48 am

I somewhat agree with this article. I see your point, but I don't believe that the percentage of underage drinking would go down. I believe it would stay the same. Since the legal drinking age is 21, people that are 17 and up (some younger) are drinking. If the drinking age goes down to, say, 18, then teenagers aged 14 (give or take) would start to drink, thus keeping the amount the same.

As for the writing itself, you did a fairly well time getting your point across. I would like to s... (more »)

F.L.P. said...
I think this is a great article, and something I've thought for a while too. Drinking should be accepted and taught in moderation. then we'd have fewer cases of alcohol poisoning in minors. 

crazy.cmp said...
this does not make any scence

MassieKurh said...
this argument could go both ways. in one way it could cause less illeagal drinking busts. b ut6 it6 could also ccause some other major problems, such as alchol poising.

King123 said...
I think, its not dangerous to lower the drinking age. I live in Germany and you are allowed to drink beer and wine with 16 and the harder stuff with 18 here. And we still dont have major problems with that. I mean, there's always some people, who exxagerate, but i guess that happens in every country, also over the drinking age. I have been in America last year and were at a few highschool parties and there its much more dangerous than here! So i guess, lowering the age would be the best thing, t... (more »)

TheSihlouettedMan replied...
I respect your thoughts but I'm just curious, if the parties are already dangerous why risk letting alcohol get in the hands of younger (less matured) teens?

TheSihlouettedMan replied...

boblover said...
Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:21 am
Shut up. No one wants to hear that. When you're eight teen, you tak eon responsibilities.

super_chick0101 said...
I found this to be very helpful for my assignment. I enjoy your opinion, though I do with that you had put more thought into sources for your examples and had a proof reader. I would strongly suggest a proof reader before turning this essay in to any teacher. 

Mr. Truth said...
I TOTALY DISAGREE WITH THE ARTICAL I THINK THE AGE SHOULD BE INCREASED TOO 25- YEARS OF AGE

meemee13 replied...
 verry much disagree if anything there should be no drinking age to teach young ones it is okay to enjoy alcohol in moderation

loving crow said...
That is quite an interesting theroy, that could either end in a great sucess or a major fail. If we lower the drinking age more people will be allowed to drink, though since more people can drink less people will be pressured into drinking if it is more common and they have a choice. Like I said quite an interesting theroy, but also a very dangerous one. 

Adam W. said...
well then no matter what they will just keep lowering it

nav291 said...
saying the underage drinking percentage will be llower if the age is lowered is the dumbest thing i have heard all day. you know the murder rate would go down if it was made legal because it wouldn't be murder anymore. why are people so obsessed with drinking? i've never done it and never will but know that it isn't good for anymore. there are plenty of fun things one can do besides drinking. reading, video games, go see a movie with friends. in my opinion alcohol should be destroyed and anyone... (more »)

AelissNovak replied...
May 20, 2012 at 12:25 am
I agree with the first bit, but 'everyone caught with it should be shot?' What? Shooting someone because of drinking would be much worse than drunk driving. If someone wanted to have a bit because it tastes good is that a reason to kill him? Or even if they are drinking because they are depressed or like the feeling it gives them there is no reason to shoot them. Most people who drink are not a danger to anyone. My dad occasionaly drinks a little beer. He always does it at home, no... (more »)

ChickenLegHouse replied...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 6:54 am
So you support murder, good to know. Nobody should ever be shot, I don't care who it is.

Aeliss-Novak replied...
I didn't say that...