Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

super_chick0101 said...
I found this to be very helpful for my assignment. I enjoy your opinion, though I do with that you had put more thought into sources for your examples and had a proof reader. I would strongly suggest a proof reader before turning this essay in to any teacher. 

Mr. Truth said...
I TOTALY DISAGREE WITH THE ARTICAL I THINK THE AGE SHOULD BE INCREASED TOO 25- YEARS OF AGE

meemee13 replied...
 verry much disagree if anything there should be no drinking age to teach young ones it is okay to enjoy alcohol in moderation

loving crow said...
That is quite an interesting theroy, that could either end in a great sucess or a major fail. If we lower the drinking age more people will be allowed to drink, though since more people can drink less people will be pressured into drinking if it is more common and they have a choice. Like I said quite an interesting theroy, but also a very dangerous one. 

Adam W. said...
well then no matter what they will just keep lowering it

nav291 said...
saying the underage drinking percentage will be llower if the age is lowered is the dumbest thing i have heard all day. you know the murder rate would go down if it was made legal because it wouldn't be murder anymore. why are people so obsessed with drinking? i've never done it and never will but know that it isn't good for anymore. there are plenty of fun things one can do besides drinking. reading, video games, go see a movie with friends. in my opinion alcohol should be destroyed and anyone... (more »)

AelissNovakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
May 20, 2012 at 12:25 am
I agree with the first bit, but 'everyone caught with it should be shot?' What? Shooting someone because of drinking would be much worse than drunk driving. If someone wanted to have a bit because it tastes good is that a reason to kill him? Or even if they are drinking because they are depressed or like the feeling it gives them there is no reason to shoot them. Most people who drink are not a danger to anyone. My dad occasionaly drinks a little beer. He always does it at home, no... (more »)

ChickenLegHouse replied...
Sept. 21, 2012 at 6:54 am
So you support murder, good to know. Nobody should ever be shot, I don't care who it is.

Aeliss-NovakThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
I didn't say that...

ChickenLegHouse replied...
Oh, no that was at nav291. I agree with you.

Mzprettygurl said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:44 am
it should be lower because it just wont teenager wont to break the law more if its stay the same or get higher

tina1000 said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 8:13 am
davidbliss you have a point but you ever think that it because the people that are saying this are over the age of 21 and can drink and the people under the age say this is a good idea. it because there under age they do it but then again you where under age once and you tryed to do it to and when you where 18 you wanted the law to be down? did you not?

Snoopy12 said...
I absolutely disagree. The reason behind the minimum drinking age comes from many reasons. One: the health defect. It is dangerous and abusive to a young teen's body and can lead to serious damage. By lowering the age limit you are providing an easier way for teens to get a hold of alcohol, and therefore also alowing them to consume more, easily. This can only lead to more negative effects. The people who break the law most often are people who don't shot for a bright future. They may come from... (more »)

420budmon said...
weedandstuffmakesmehigh

Corey D. said...
Jan. 31, 2012 at 7:58 am
Are you crazy we should so lower it why risk getting arrested

DavidBliss said...
When you stated in the first paragraph, “I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered” It’s not true. Why? Because if the drinking age goes down, so will the age of kids wanting to drink. Its a cycle. A lot of teens who try drinking at a younger age (17-20) are because soon they will be able to drink, and in our society, its considered to be an adult when you can drink. But if the drinking age goes down, to let’s say (18) then kids who are 14 ... (more »)

purple678 said...
I disagree because if you lower the drinking age then more teenagers are going to start drinking because they know it's okay to drink; which it's not.

TMS7A said...
i really disagree!! Why would you do that? whats the point? kids are going to do it anyway! JUST DONT DRINK! I am pretty sure that the law will never change! Why would they listen to us Teenagers???

Tori:))) said...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:45 am
I dis agree... i dont think it is a good idea

Mike123 said...
AMAZING! I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!! IT MAKES NO SENSE THAT YOU CAN KILL AND VOTE AT 18 BUT NOT DRINK!!! I MEAN REALLY WTH IS UP WITH THAT?!?! ANYWAY, YOUR PAPER WAS VERY WELL WRITEN AND WAS STRUCTURED PERFECTLY! GJ! :)