Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

MadAsAHatter;] said...
As a teenager your body is still developing, and can be damaged by the effects of alcohol. Just because teens abuse the law for the legal drinking age doesn't mean we should lower that age just so it will be legal if they do drink. It just means that law enforcement needs to be harder on those teens who do.

cldierkhising replied...
Dec. 29, 2009 at 10:21 am :
no. saying that would mean to arrest over 80% of junior and seniors. so how about not. and i don't think it should be up to athorities to make decisions for teens. they can do it themselves and if they get in trouble its there fault they got caught. Teens aren't idiots. They know alcohol isn't good for them and they know bad things could happen and no matter how much people push them or us including that i'm a teen... they will rebel because thats what we do. we don't sa... (more »)

kaura123 said...
I think the drinkning age in america is perfectly fine. At 16 you have just gotten your liscence and at age 18 you are becoming an adukt. PArt of being an adult is making good decisions. Hundreds of people doe a year because if drunk driving. No way in h*** should we lower the drinking age.

adeladesp said...
First of all, I'm pretty sure if the drinking age was lower a lot of more people would be drinking. Also, if your drink on a weekly/monthly basis, no matter what age I'm pretty sure your not drinking because you feel like rebelling.

ConstanceScott said...
Dec. 7, 2009 at 10:23 am:
I could care less about breking the law. I just like to drink alcohol. I do think that the legal drinking age should stay the same because too many young adults are irresponsible. But I do think it would be less appealing to some people because you do have some idiots out there just trying to be rebellious. In most places, txting while driving is not outlwaed. Yet it does not make kids do it any less. Think about it. Eveybody is not the same. Remember, the legal drinking age was low at one point... (more »)

pinkyprincess said...
Its wrong to lower the drinking age its there for a reason if we lower too many teens will have future problems because your brain is not fully developed till the age of 21. Therefore effecting our futures.

Cassie143 replied...
Dec. 8, 2009 at 8:49 am :
Don't you think that killing someone at age 18 can have an affect on the brain? How could you live with yourself knowing that you took another life... But to drink is a big deal? They will let a 18 year old put his/her life on the line to fight, but if you drink is your life really on the line? No, its not. If you really thought about it, maybe they should raise the limit on joining the army.

ShernayB. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great point! If you tell a teen that they could not do something, then of course if they want it, they'll do it anyway. The outcome of this situation will be worse than the outcome of the situation in which a parent or law allows teens to do something. I do think that some laws and rules should be in place for young adults, don't get me wrong. But certain things like having a boyfriend at 13 should be allowed, that way if the teen makes a mistake, they could learn from it in the future... (more »)

OscarDonovan said...
Nov. 25, 2009 at 5:11 am:
I'm from England, where the mimimum drinking age is 18, and think that you have made a very valid point! Rarely do you see over-18s in the same state as their drunken uner-18 counterparts. This is because, since alcohol is readily availabe, it loses its allure - as well as the fact that you don't feel that you must drink all 3 litres of white cider so as not to get it confiscated! I'm 16, but still get drunk a lot with my friends, its not encouraged, but similarly isn't seen ... (more »)

E.L.W. replied...
Nov. 27, 2009 at 1:57 pm :
I think Europe has it right on this one -- the way they do it over there makes so much more sense.
I personally think 18 0r even 16 is a perfectly fine age limit.
Good article!

emjay1216 replied...
Nov. 30, 2009 at 3:37 pm :
oscardonovan, i dont drink but i agree. if we just relaxed the rules and made them more like guidelines, we'd have less problems. its like, the movie rating system here in the U.S. they dont recommend that you see pg 13 if your only 10, but they seriously could care less. you can be 16 and see rated R cuz there not gonna check u or anything. im 15, and ive been to tons of R movies. america just needs to relax.

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 30, 2009 at 10:31 pm :
Yeah! America should relax! I mean what are laws for anyway? Its not like they're put there for the good of the people... Like that would ever happen... They should let all the criminals convicted of DUI's free! Not like a little alcohol here or there at a young age can cause an eventual addiction which could lead to abusive habits and reckless decisions. Who cares about statistics anyway? Certainly not us! Only people like those stuck-up brainwashed know-it-alls who have to watch the ... (more »)

OscarDonovan replied...
Dec. 1, 2009 at 1:43 am :
So I'm psychologically scarred and have been manipulated by the media by the media? Wow. There's me thinking I just enjoyed going out. What a silly idea.

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
You state this in a very convincing manner but I'm afraid I must disagree with you. The drinking age is where it is because the development of the frontal lobe. As you so proved in your article teens are more likely to make bad decisions concerning alcohol at such a young age. And eighteen is a very young age. You are 98%more likely to become an alcoholic if you begin drinking before the age of 21. I hope you take this into consideration.
God bless,
...,

emjay1216 replied...
Nov. 30, 2009 at 3:42 pm :
hey no offense but...
were kids, we break the rules. its what we do, kay? and yeah, ur rite and everything but try to open ur mind a little and see another point of view.

Nov. 30, 2009 at 10:35 pm :
Of course I see the other point-of-view. And I see the physical reverberations of that point-of-view in people who never really grew out of the childish notion of how 'cool' alcohol is...

twilighter_360 said...
this dosent make alot of sense...if the drinking age is lowered it will cause more problems

Dokidoki-rin This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I agree with you, but your points are very poorly presented. :( Also, you use statistics to generalize teens and make false assumptions!

devils angels16 said...
I so agree with this. I think that if we get a chance to prove the law wrong I think we will take advantage of it. Because me as a party boy I think that many of us don't drink a lot because of the knowledge that knowing if we get caught we are in trouble. So thanks for standing up for us.

Jazzy said...
Oct. 12, 2009 at 5:59 am:
I think sean 3 is totally right when you say that underage drinking will cause more accidents will cause mor accidents if legalized.I mean theres so many teens these days teens are getting killed because of alcohol.If the drinking age is lowered then it will increase those chances of anybody getting killed.so i think no i don't agree with letting young teens drink.