Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

mr895 said...
Oct. 1 at 11:20 pm:
First off, you have many gramatical errors and your wording is off. You have valid points to your argument, but even if we lower the drinking age then all teens will start drinking. At their age, their brain is still developing, therefore, if they start to drink their brain will prematurely stop growing. Also, if we go through with lowering the drinking age what if younger generations start to drink do we lower it even more? At the age of 21 your brain stops its growing process, and yo... (more »)

Hedgehoglover10This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Oct. 15 at 3:33 pm :
You liked to repeat yourself, and I have to say I do NOT agree. They have the drinking age that way because the goverment thinks that 21 is the age where you can handle drinking responsibly. Also at 21 your body can digest alcohol with out getting sick. I strongly disagree with this opinion and think you should check over your work before posting it.

#commonscence said...
Oct. 1 at 4:46 pm:
i dissagrey with this

at the age of 18 we are already able to drive,vote,and join the military but these things are alredy hard enoph as is but if we add alcohol to that mix is pushing it to a deadly mix that alot of us will either die from or regret after we do something stupid that alcohol makes us do

Braxton B. said...
Sep. 30 at 10:34 am:
I 100% agree!!!!!!!!!!!

duuuude said...
Feb. 28 at 11:23 am:
all these ppl that make these sites for lowering the legal drinking age to 18 need to be fired. they do not know the difference between pros and cons. OFF WITH THEIR HEAD!!!!!

Freytex29 said...
Feb. 24 at 3:32 pm:
This essay was very well written and well argued and I'm in agreement. Must point out though, there is a clause in military doctrine that says anyone in the US military shall be allowed to drink, regardless of age. I used this essay in a debate and brought the service point to the table and was shut down. So just for reference!

stlredbirds said...
Dec. 12, 2013 at 1:49 am:
I have to admit, the points you make are logical and true, those who can lay down their lives in military, and be a legal adult, ought to be able to drink. The only problem is that some people do not finish growth until low twenties in age, specifically men. Also, they really ought to not be drinking at all, lowering the legal age would only be promoting a drink that at the end of the day is of no good to anyone. I also don't think people do it to break the law because they are teens and wan... (more »)

kksbrnnThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I like this idea, but I think had you presented it more maturely and supported your argument with more than just opinionated beliefs, your article would have been more convinving. However, it was a clever topic and brought a new perspective. Nice job.

Ron replied...
May 15 at 12:57 pm :
You can't say that

Sallysunshine said...
I think that it should be lowered to 18 bc it's more better bc the kids already grown

that boul mir said...
i think that the appropriate age to start drinking should be lowered because the age to go into the service is 18,  and if you are able to go into the service and risk your life you should be able to drink.

Georgep94 said...
Here's my point of view. Some young men like me in the world see their lives different from others... I graduated high school and never went to college, I Work, hard. I work a full time job to earn my living, vote every 4 yrs, forced to enlist in a legal war draft (if ever put into effect), but I can't drink. I am 19 going on 20, and for people like me who have all adult responsibilities, yet can't go reward my hard week labor as an electrician with a "cold one", is a real kick in the head... ... (more »)

Xandi replied...
May 14 at 11:32 am :
I like the idea and think it's smart, but with changing or lowering the age at all, it could lead younger teens who may not drink or drink very little, to drink more. 'If they're lowering the age anyway, then I should be allowed to drink' or something along those lines. Then also, you said that you and a lot of otherpeople want this and would be responsible with it, but there's also a lot of people who won't be. As majority, there would be a lot of teens who would abuse that sort of thing. Sorry... (more »)

americaisweird said...
  I doubt it will happen, simply because there are only 3 years worth of people whom the law affects, none of which have much political power. The only reason I could see it being lowered would be if they started drafting people at age 18, and people got pissed off because they had to go die for their country but to keep them safe they made sure they couldn't drink a glass of wine or a bottle of beer in their own home for 3 more years. That's what happened in the Vietnam War. U... (more »)

stellamaare said...
Aug. 19, 2013 at 11:24 am:
I don't agree with you, because i never drinking any alcohol, i never was and never will. I think that teenagers needn't to drink. At Russia bying alcohol agree from 18,  but teenagers at my home drink everyday, they are alcoholcs, but they do it legal. When they started they weren't think that they will  drinking everyday, i think.

bookmouse said...
I wouldn't say I agree with the point it makes, but this essay is well written and well argued.

ALennyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:14 am:
I'm Australian and just turned 18. My friends and I are all very responsible, drinkning significantly less than our parents and only on rare occassion. There is no reason why America shouldn't lower it to 18, as you said, 18 year olds are legal adults and deserve to be treated as such. If you can live by yourself, vote, drive, than you can sure as hell have a beer at the pub!

Alleenstaande said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:42 am:
The point of the whole lowering the drinking age doesn't matter, today in society. Drinking is always going to happen underage, no matter what the law says. Even if someone wanted to lower the age, that would be completely pointless because then people would be less matured and being less resposible. Especially now with people being parents at such young ages, we need responsible parents that aren't going to unexpectedly having children and abandoning them. Joining the military, getting ... (more »)

McDevitt said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:34 am:
no I dont belive that the drinking age should be lowered. The drinking age is right where it should be. If we lowered the drinking age we would have more deaths every year from drinking. People wouldn't be able to handle it if we did lower it. Most people aren't repossiable to deal with alcohol. Most people just abuse it and cause harm when they drink. So i dont feel that it should be lowered.

SmittyrSam said...
Jun. 10, 2013 at 10:25 am:
I really think you have a point there. Though there may be negitive affects on lowering the drinking age. Really it depends on maturity and the ability to controll portions. alcoholics and obease people have the same issue... not knowing when to stop! nice work, keep it up! :)