Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

daughterofeve14 said...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 9:22 am:
You got some good points, but in a way I really dont like the idea. Because I had a friend die in a car wreck because the two were drunk and only seventeen. This wasnt even a year ago, and it still hurts. But yes some good points.

I LOVE Gettin HIGH replied...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 8:35 am :

Give Me A Beer And see how i am

NYClove13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice job, this article was very well written. However, I have to disagree with you on this one. 

LazyDaisyLovesYou said...
I see your point, but I don't know if I agree. Xella714 is right about the mind still being developed. It's true. 

IceFox416 replied...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm :
Yes, I agree with you.

AJfabrizzi said...
Oct. 13, 2011 at 9:43 am:
I see your arguement, and it's a good one. Very well written:)

babylocs said...
ppl who r 18 are old enough to make their own decisions and they shuld know that they hav to drink responsibly and not to abuse the alcohol use. . .

ihatexella714 said...
shutup xella714 your probably like 64

ghjkghj said...
ghghmhghbhmkjhkjhkjhjhkjk

kimani236 said...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 9:38 am:
I don't agree with that at all because alcohol destroys the mind and 90 percent of the people that do drink are not secessful in the future

Xella714 said...
Sept. 21, 2011 at 11:49 am:

I don't agree with this because the mind is still developing, however I do think the voting age should be lowered

kiman236 replied...
Sept. 22, 2011 at 9:35 am :
I really agree with that my teacher keeps telling me that the law is the people but  we are the people , people under 18 but people and I think the voting age should be lowered also they are representing us so why can't we vote?

steffdawgg replied...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 8:23 am :
I can see where you're coming from, but my teacher tried expaining this to us. How many kids in your class can explain the views and opinions of the republican canidate in the next election on issues such as health care and social security. Many kids can hardly even define what these terms mean, and although there are some teens that can, the majority of kids probably couldn't tell you the majority group in the house of representatives, and how voting in a new rep could dramatically change that.... (more »)

Xella714 replied...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 4:16 pm :
What republiccan candidate can explain his own views and opinions?

Xella714 replied...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 4:18 pm :
Check out my artical on child suffrage, its really eyeyopening.

Yewith said...
yew yew yew yew yew

jmdsl said...

I sort of agree and disagree

I live in Spain and you can buy alcohol from when you are 18 years old that i think iis quite good as its when you finish school and you can live without your parents

but the bad thing is that younger people believe that there isnt much age diference so they drink too (my 14 year old friends go out and get drunk at night)  and that is bad as it are brain is still developing

navyman88 said...
believe it or not laws are put into place for a reason..so that we can have order..if there is no order then we would have chaos

ohheyyyelli said...
Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:23 am:
People who want to drink, are going to drink whether or not the drinking age is lowered. They can't lower it, because then anyone who drinks while they're brain is still developing could get the government in some major trouble.

ohheyyyelli replied...
Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:24 am :
Believe it or not, laws or put into place for good reason.

ohheyyyelli replied...
Aug. 30, 2011 at 10:28 am :
The article was nicely put together though!