Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Kalyn92 said...
I agree with everything you wrote. Im not 21 yet and i drink. Im not an alcholic by any means. And im a responsible drinker. I wont drive and i take everyone elses keys. I think that alot of teenagers who can actually drink legally wouldnt abuse the right.

TheIntellectualOne said...
you demonstrate a variance in sentence structure and a well developed point of view, furthermore you add a humorous accent to your words that I enjoyed as I read. well formulated piece friend do make more, and i'd also like to add (without sounding cheesy) that if you want to read some work of mine it is under my username. I must warn you it is my first piece (fiction story), it's about an adult being assigned a child (because he is single) on bring your children to work day and he learns alot a... (more »)

Tristen D. said...

You have a good point but studies also show the younger you start drinking the more likely u are to get addicted plus many teenagers would use alcohal as an outlet there are pros and cons to both sides

ase123 replied...
Nov. 15, 2011 at 10:01 am :
i think drinking at a lower age would stop alot of under age drinking

CorrinaElisabeth replied...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 7:33 pm :
Yes, it would stop underage drinking. But only beause there isn't a standard. The numbers of drinkers won't decrease - the number of aftereffects and accidents and addictions won't either. Numbers won't change (if anything, they'll increase); legality is the only thing that is changing.  I'm sorry, but whenever I see arguments like this, I think that it wasn't well researched, or at least researched with a huge bias. The consequences of drinking outweigh any "benefits" - be it legal or illegal.

kaylarocks said...
Yes, this was definantly well written but i would have to disagree. Some teens can handle drinking but sadly not all of them can. My best thing to say to you is keep writing but use your opinions wisely! Thank you for reading this!please check out and comment on some of my writing! I would very mucj appriciate that!

William W. said...
Or maybe raise the legal smoking age to match that of drinking. Or switch the two. I just think that smoking is MUCH worse than drinking.

ALennyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Oct. 19, 2011 at 12:14 am:
I live in Australia and the legal drinking age is 18. I don't understand how you manage to wait for so long considering we're adults at 18. I admire those who wait for so long, but i don't think it's neccessary.

RIP#70 replied...
Oct. 19, 2011 at 11:53 am :
well thats lucky and yes true i believe that at the age of 18 you are an adult and 18 should be the drinking age in the US

RachaelSt said...
move to england

silent.,.stargirl replied...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 8:10 pm :
cant kids drink in england? omg r u english! thats so....foreign. im texan

GlasgowSmile said...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 11:53 am:
Hi, RIP#70. I'm in the same classroom as you, sitting next to you.

RIP#70 said...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 11:38 am:
everything here that i read was agreeable and true

daughterofeve14 said...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 9:22 am:
You got some good points, but in a way I really dont like the idea. Because I had a friend die in a car wreck because the two were drunk and only seventeen. This wasnt even a year ago, and it still hurts. But yes some good points.

RIP#70RB replied...
Oct. 17, 2011 at 11:53 am :
well sorry to hear about that, was ur friend drinking? because if he/she wasnt then they could've drove instead of them that were drunk.  At least the age of 18 should be able to drink. And i kinda do agree with what you are saying so yea...

daughterofeve14 replied...
Oct. 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm :
He was drinking... Sadly. 

I LOVE Gettin HIGH replied...
Nov. 7, 2011 at 8:35 am :

Give Me A Beer And see how i am

NYClove13 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nice job, this article was very well written. However, I have to disagree with you on this one. 

LazyDaisyLovesYou said...
I see your point, but I don't know if I agree. Xella714 is right about the mind still being developed. It's true. 

IceFox416 replied...
Nov. 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm :
Yes, I agree with you.