Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

CorrinaElisabeth said...

I disagree. In full.

Even looking past the spelling/grammar mistakes, and the somewhat obvious line of argument, I cannot agree.

If you lower the age, all you will do is shift the whole spectrum lower. Instead of having that percentage of 16-20 year olds drinking illegally, you'll simply have 14-18 year olds drinking more and more frequently. Then you'll have the outcry to have the age lowered to 14. And then 10. And then, "Why have a standard at all?"

The age isn't there... (more »)

FrAme replied...
Dec. 18, 2011 at 10:36 pm :
Thanks for posting this comment.

swcricket98 replied...
Dec. 21, 2011 at 5:51 pm :
I agree completely. Well stated.

Blairezie replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm :
And I disagree with your logic. Let's say you're a fifteen year old kid who does not drink. Would you suddenly decide to start drinking just because the drinking age was lowered to eighteen? If a fifteen year old makes the decision to not drink illegally when the age limit is twenty one, why would he or she decide to drink illegally if the limit was eighteen? Where's the logic in that? Besides, you're not taking into account something that the author of this post already mentioned- why is an eig... (more »)

Brindleface replied...
Jan. 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm :
well stated! i agree with you, Blairezie

Brianna_hallThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jan. 18, 2012 at 2:20 am :
I agree with you. Besides when your a kid-depending where you grew up, and around who- you don't have the urge to drink or want to break the laws. When you get older though you want to rebel, and what better way to rebel than by breaking the law? And aren't your considered an adult when you turn eighteen? Yet you can't drink? It's just plain stupid. The drinking age should be lowered to eighteen. If we are adults when we turn eighteen then we have the right to make adult decisions like if we wan... (more »)

TheSihlouettedMan replied...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:12 pm :

To Blairezie:

Just because I'm not choosing to drink at 15 doesn't mean others won't. As the age law decreases the opportunity to drink will be opened to even younger teenagers who will have easier access to it. BY THE WAY you're not taking into account that the author's post did not mention "Why is an eighteen year old able to choose if they can die for their country?" It said WORD FOR WORD!!!!- "Well you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of... (more »)

Tardus227 said...
The idea on this article is great! I also think the age should be lowered.

silly lilly said...
think it should be lowered to 13 no driving!!!!

Jan. 18, 2012 at 2:26 am :
13??? That's just too much, even 16 is a no. I agree it should be lowered but not that low. Kids nowadays already are having to grow up too fast and you want them to be allowed to drink at 13? *shaking my head* you must be young yourself to think this. Trust me you have a lot to growing up to do. Besides who wants their kid drinking at the age of thirteen? Or even sixteen? It would be a miracle if it even gets lowered to eighteen.

Bob8 said...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 9:58 am:
Yes I thank it should be lower but I also thank that it should keep it the same because some 17-20 years olds are not responsibe and then they go drive when there drunk and they could kill some one. So I thank I desigrea now

kingcapps111 said...
I am 19 and i drink but i am very responsible drinker and my mom said its cool as long as im at the house when i do drink

ninja17 said...
I'm 17 and I refuse to drink. But I totally agree with this! Such a reasonable argument. Deserves 5 stars with an A++++! :)

Cheer2013 said...
i totally agree with this! haha i mean we are surrounded by people who drink dont they know that us teenagers are gonna want to do it to? its not like we dont anyways. but to cause less problems with like m.i.p's and stuff they should lower the drinking ages

smith said...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 7:28 am:
noooooooo!

rob1996 said...
I personally think the drinking age should be lowered to 16. When you are 16 you are still around your parents. This would help control over drinking and there would be fewer problems

smith replied...
Dec. 2, 2011 at 7:30 am :
crazy!!!!!!

TheSihlouettedMan replied...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:18 pm :

to rob1996:

(angrilly) How?

Kalyn92 said...
I agree with everything you wrote. Im not 21 yet and i drink. Im not an alcholic by any means. And im a responsible drinker. I wont drive and i take everyone elses keys. I think that alot of teenagers who can actually drink legally wouldnt abuse the right.

TheIntellectualOne said...
you demonstrate a variance in sentence structure and a well developed point of view, furthermore you add a humorous accent to your words that I enjoyed as I read. well formulated piece friend do make more, and i'd also like to add (without sounding cheesy) that if you want to read some work of mine it is under my username. I must warn you it is my first piece (fiction story), it's about an adult being assigned a child (because he is single) on bring your children to work day and he learns alot a... (more »)