Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

May 18, 2008
By Anonymous

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 740 comments.


on Oct. 5 2011 at 12:22 pm
shutup xella714 your probably like 64

ghjkghj said...
on Oct. 3 2011 at 1:35 pm
ghghmhghbhmkjhkjhkjhjhkjk

kimani236 said...
on Sep. 22 2011 at 9:38 am
I don't agree with that at all because alcohol destroys the mind and 90 percent of the people that do drink are not secessful in the future

kiman236 said...
on Sep. 22 2011 at 9:35 am
I really agree with that my teacher keeps telling me that the law is the people but  we are the people , people under 18 but people and I think the voting age should be lowered also they are representing us so why can't we vote?

on Sep. 21 2011 at 11:49 am
Xella714 BRONZE, Salem, Massachusetts
3 articles 1 photo 18 comments

I don't agree with this because the mind is still developing, however I do think the voting age should be lowered

 


Yewith said...
on Sep. 13 2011 at 7:58 pm
yew yew yew yew yew

jmdsl BRONZE said...
on Sep. 6 2011 at 5:56 pm
jmdsl BRONZE, Vigo, Other
1 article 1 photo 9 comments

Favorite Quote:
theres no second time without third time

I sort of agree and disagree

I live in Spain and you can buy alcohol from when you are 18 years old that i think iis quite good as its when you finish school and you can live without your parents

but the bad thing is that younger people believe that there isnt much age diference so they drink too (my 14 year old friends go out and get drunk at night)  and that is bad as it are brain is still developing


navyman88 said...
on Aug. 30 2011 at 4:37 pm
believe it or not laws are put into place for a reason..so that we can have order..if there is no order then we would have chaos

on Aug. 30 2011 at 10:28 am
ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
5 articles 3 photos 178 comments
The article was nicely put together though!

on Aug. 30 2011 at 10:24 am
ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
5 articles 3 photos 178 comments
Believe it or not, laws or put into place for good reason.

on Aug. 30 2011 at 10:23 am
ohheyyyelli SILVER, Woonsocket, Rhode Island
5 articles 3 photos 178 comments
People who want to drink, are going to drink whether or not the drinking age is lowered. They can't lower it, because then anyone who drinks while they're brain is still developing could get the government in some major trouble.

ambnyc SILVER said...
on Aug. 19 2011 at 10:40 pm
ambnyc SILVER, Rego Park, New York
6 articles 0 photos 133 comments

Favorite Quote:
You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss

The drinking age is in place because your brain doesn't stop developing until you're in your 20s. Therefore, they do not want to impede progress with alcohol.

Not like lowering the drinking age would change things.


phoneyjunta said...
on Aug. 13 2011 at 12:33 pm
phoneyjunta, London, Other
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
If this is it, show me the door.

Drinking isn't bad for you, I have been allowed a bit of wine at lunch since I was about seven, and I don't have anything wrong with me. Fine, drinking vodka shots everyday is bad, but in moderation alcohol is not bad. I don't care about it much, if I feel like having some wine at lunch I'll have it, if I don't, I say no thank you. But my friends, whose parents don't let them drink, feel compelled to drink every time some alcohol is put in front of them, and throw up from over consumption every week-end. My parents aren't bad parents, they understood that this is a way to make children enjoy and appreciate alcohol, but allows them to understand that they don't need to drink every time some alcohol is offered to them. 

People who say that viewing alcohol as a normal thing is bad, are wrong, since if you view it as normal to drink some of the time, then you don't feel compelled to have a drink if it is offered. I come from the UK and alcohol is widely consumed there, it is no uncommon for people to drink a bottle of wine in a night basically every week, and I know that America's views on alcohol are more extreme, but I feel that the misconception that all alcohol is bad, can be damaging to children, since they will never be able to enjoy alcohol responsibly until they are in their thirties and the damage to their liver will be done. 


on Aug. 8 2011 at 8:28 pm
NinjaHummingbird, Manalapan, New Jersey
0 articles 4 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
If we all fail, we fail together. XD

good point. I agree with you 100%.

on Aug. 8 2011 at 8:27 pm
NinjaHummingbird, Manalapan, New Jersey
0 articles 4 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
If we all fail, we fail together. XD

Well written, but, if we lowered the drinking age it would not make any difference. People of all ages under any drinking age, whether they are 12 or 20, would find some way to get alcohol, and the same amount of people would die in drunk driving accidents.

xSeeUx SILVER said...
on Aug. 8 2011 at 7:52 pm
xSeeUx SILVER, Ishpeming, Michigan
5 articles 3 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
Just because your paranoid don't mean there not after you- Nirvana

well some people have problems some do not... its just as simple as that

BalletGirl98 said...
on Aug. 8 2011 at 6:47 pm
BalletGirl98, Idabel, Oklahoma
0 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
The heart of the dance is the heart of the dancer.
~ Ghazallah al-Badriyyah

Your article is nicely written and I believe you spent a lot of time on it, but I disagree. For one reason, drunk driving would go up. But if the drinking age is lowered to eighteen, what about all the sixteen year olds and seventeen year olds who drink?

Anyway, I applaud your article because it was well written and you did support you opinion with some facts. Good job!


on Aug. 8 2011 at 3:23 pm
emolover95 GOLD, Park City, Utah
13 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened."

I totally disagree. We are all teenagers on this website, but yet I don't feel the need to rebel and break the law that you claim is the reason kids are the way we are. I think that lowering the drinking age will only increase the amount of alcohol consumed by people under the age of twenty-one. Our frontal lobes in our brains are not fully formed until we are in our twenties, which is why we have a hard time connecting actions and consequences. So for now, we should keep the drinking age at twenty-one.

Bones96 BRONZE said...
on Aug. 8 2011 at 10:53 am
Bones96 BRONZE, Charlotte, North Carolina
2 articles 0 photos 108 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life isn't about finding yourself it's about creating yourself-

Your artical was good I could tell you worked on it. It makes logical sence and it is worth a try. Also all teens should know that with drinking not only are you likely to kill your self or someone else when your drunk. Alcohol kills your liver over time when it's abused.

L.B.C.. BRONZE said...
on Aug. 4 2011 at 11:27 pm
L.B.C.. BRONZE, Muskegon, Michigan
4 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Only you can be the change you want to see in the world." - Ghandi

It's important to keep it the way it is because young people's body are fluxuating to a point where they are constantly trying to find out what is normal for them. If you drink at a young age your body will decide it is a normal thing, and then you have a good chance of getting into alcoholism, which ruins tons of lives.