Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

ben dover said...
May 12, 2011 at 2:06 pm:
i think the drinking age should be lowerd to 13. i think 13 year olds could handle dinking. i have been drinking sence i was 10 years old and i am doing just fine!

quentin-arehart replied...
May 12, 2011 at 2:18 pm :
Are you kidding? That's like the most  terrbile thing someone your age could do! If you're not kidding, then you're really messing up your body. Quit.

Saffy96 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 3:18 pm :
I don't think it quite needs to be that low - just low enough for mature teens to not consider it an amazing rebellious thing, just a normal choice that isn't that excited. Drinking is fine, but when it's turned into a rebellious, illegal, brilliant thing to do to get drunk - teens get the wrong idea.

ilovedayna replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:48 pm :
ben dover, i'm pretty sure that a lot of people don' t have much respect for you, sharing that you've been drinking for three years and you're only thirteen. just throwing that out there to help with social skills a little bit for later on in life.

Meko8195 replied...
May 13, 2011 at 11:55 am :
Yeah and guess what! people who drink before the age of fourteen have a higher risk of developing a mental disease. Seems like you might already be on the start of that one though....I mean 13 is ridiculous. You obviously don't have the maturity to understand how to react to peoples comment but heres a suggestion. DON'T REACT. :) it wont help anyways.

yoyoyoyoyo replied...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 7:20 am :
if there mature enough to do it let them and if they can handle it let them

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:11 am :
 Im failing to see your logic. but obviously what ur telling me is that you want to see 13 year olds trippin on there own feet, killing there liver, and possibly themselves? So...WHY NOT! I mean obviously Alchole is healthy since its americas most consumed TOXIN. :\ Yeah....totally see where your coming from.

Sayaren replied...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm :

Please stop acting like a martyr just because your friends made a stupid decision. It was their decision to make, not yours, and they made the wrong one. If you want to argue about the harm it can do, then do it in a reasonable (not hysterical and fanatical) way that doesn't irritate everyone. Present your argument logically and don't flip your lid when someone disagrees. There will be people who will disagree with you over everything because we're all individuals with our own thoughts, opini... (more »)

Meko8195 replied...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm :
It may have been there own stupid decision but they still died. They also killed innocent people. I miss themthats true and i get so freakin POed at these idiots who think its okay because i know for a fact that people even at the age of 21 cant handle alcohol ...And BTW Im smart enough to know that logic doesnt work with these guys. If it did then noone would drink because they tell you in health, movies, even at home. I dont think youunderstand the sever pain people got through..especiall... (more »)

Cosgrove said...
May 12, 2011 at 10:30 am:
Just because you're old enough to join the Army does not mean that you are mature enough to drink. Yes, when you join the Army, its a big thing and your doing something really important but at the same time you are accepting new responsibilities as well as risking your life, your OWN LIFE, for the welfare of the people back home or for that guy who just lost his legs fighting with you. Yes, go on and drink, but just remember-once you take on something new, something more mature* (*if mature is t... (more »)

Meko8195 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:32 am :
and lets face it....drinking is used as an outlet or for used for having a "good time". I don't see what so fun about puking, hangovers and making ourselves look bad but whatever. We all have different taste in "fun".

Cosgrove replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:34 am :
Yes, because I just love looking like a freakin idiot in front of a bunch of strangers who could either take advantage of me, or just post a pic of me on Facebook, Yup, that's real fun.... >.<

Cosgrove replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:40 am :
Yeah, and after that law is passed, lets make one that lets all the troubled people get away with murder and see where we can go from there. . . .

Meko8195 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:42 am :
Oh yeah this is perfect cosgrove! your a true patriot! *sarcasm!!!!!!!!*

Cosgrove replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:44 am :
What's a patriot o.O

Meko8195 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:45 am :
Let me rephrase.....Your a true american...wanna run for president? ;)

Cosgrove replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:46 am :
Nah, cuz if I was president.....I don't know what I'd do...... then again, maybe I have an idea or two.... JUSS KIDDING

Meko8195 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:50 am :
LOL well when ur president i think you should lower the drinking age cuz then our population would decrease dramtically! I mean COME ON! there are way to many people on the highways....I mean sure maybe the first few weeks will suck with all the car crashes but after that you'll be in the clear! :D...and the line at the popcorn stand will be almost non existent at the movies cuz so many people will have funerals planned. GOSH! look at all the possibilities!

Cosgrove replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:52 am :
Oh yeah lemme tell ya, I mean, everyone is complaining about how horrible it is-the world being all over-populated and what not. Like after all those drinking fatalities, the only people left alive will be the smartical people. Ya know?

Meko8195 replied...
May 12, 2011 at 10:55 am :
and then we wont need welfare cuz there will be alot more jobs open :D WOW THIS IS GREAT!...maybe this was hitler's thought process before the holocaust?

Cosgrove replied...
May 12, 2011 at 11:47 am :
Perhaps. But I don't think he was concerned about the welfare....