Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

Brittbyheart said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 10:27 am

You dont join the military to just go out and kill random people. You join to stand up for your country. You protect the president, help find lost people, try to talk the other country outta bombing us. most people rarly kill people in the army.there are hundreds of things besides killing. js

Brittbyheart said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 10:23 am
woot woot!

Brittbyheart said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 10:22 am

I think the drinking age should NOT be lowered. People get murdered daily, so should that law be cancled too? So its legial to kill people? NO!!! The mind and body dont fully grow till you are in your 20s. and drinking kills, no matter if your young or old. If a 1 year old drinks, it will KILL their brain cells. The fewer cells means the fewer things the child can lear and without certain knolage, the child cant get a lot of jobs to continue to LIVE! What do you want for your kids, to be a su... (more »)

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:14 am

I totally agree. :) u should read my comment where me and a friend make a total butt out of this artical. LOL

Cosgrove replied...
:D cuz we're just those kinds of buttmunchers

yoyowasup8 said...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 7:16 am
i think that the legal age for drinking should be lowered to at least 13 or 14 what's the point if u already do it any ways!!!! people do it any ways and they break the law any ways SO LET THEM DO IT!!!!

K.M.S.Shear replied...
Jun. 3, 2011 at 8:05 am
Thats to young. Some people that age would be too reacless and inmuture. I think eighteen is went your considered an adult so thats went you can make the choice of drinking.

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:13 am
and killings illegal. Wanna become our president and get rid of THAT law? Oh wait. HAHA ull be to drunk to run won't u?

SaMiLoVe97 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
are you always rude to people? god. theyr allowed to put their opinions out there, and so are you. but its not okay to be down right nasty to someone. quit jumping on everyone for everything they say just because they dont have the same beliefs as you. mmmmkay? thanks.(:

Meko8195 replied...
Just stating an opinion. And if others dont agree with mine i argue because i dont want people to end up like my idiot friends and kill people.

Lama_lana said...
It should be lowerd for people going into the army. You should be able to have one last drink before you go to fight for your country cuz more then likely it could be your last

Meko8195 replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 7:15 am
Nah. Not many people die during the war. :) it's a misconception led by the media.

not that many people die during the war???? whoah. yah tell that to the millions of families missing a person who was close to them. wow. your ridiculous.

Meko8195 replied...
If you do your research the number of dead from the war we are currently in is around 6500. Mot a million. The media inflate the idea of death in the war to attract people who are concerned. Its a fact cuz lets face it. This isnt World war 2 where we are unprepared. Our men are well equiped and trained by the best. So no...no millions...thousands. Thousands of families are missing someone they lost to the war but so are the thousands of families that have lost some one to a freakin idiot who dra... (more »)

ToriM17 said...
May 25, 2011 at 9:00 am
i so aqree with you

Roxanne29 said...

Really? I like in england and the age here is 18! But so many young people are getting hold of alchol anyway... In the US i dont think lowering it will make a difference, same as it wouldnt have a thing here. If people want to drink, then surley they will find a way to get it, no matter what the age limit is?.... love the post, just i think it wouldnt make a differnce. You would change it to 18 but i bet there would be the youngers ones who didnt really drink before who would re... (more »)

FOBlover said...
May 15, 2011 at 5:06 am
i think the drinking age is set due to the maturity and development of the liver. if we expose children essentially to alchohol when their livers are not fully formed this could result to a rise in liver problems in both the uk and the us although the drinking age in the uk is 18 i feel that this is anappropriate age for women because of their earlier development now i am not a sexist person but i think the us drinking age is directed more at the developmental rate of men and i also think that w... (more »)

123456789james said...
May 13, 2011 at 7:47 am
YOUR AN IDIOT

ilovedayna said...
i see where you come from but i disagree. being a teenager, my peers often do impulsive things and i don't think our bodies are developed enough yet to put alcohol in them. yes i know that it's thought of as "cool" to some people, and some people think they'll be fine, but if you read up on the effects on the body it's really not smart to drink at all. i don't know how it could be legal when it could effect someone's course of life so early. 

ben dover said...
i think the drinking age should be lowerd to 13. i think 13 year olds could handle dinking. i have been drinking sence i was 10 years old and i am doing just fine!