Drinking Age Should Be Lowered | Teen Ink

Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

May 18, 2008
By Anonymous

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.


Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 740 comments.


nav291 said...
on Feb. 4 2012 at 5:43 pm
saying the underage drinking percentage will be llower if the age is lowered is the dumbest thing i have heard all day. you know the murder rate would go down if it was made legal because it wouldn't be murder anymore. why are people so obsessed with drinking? i've never done it and never will but know that it isn't good for anymore. there are plenty of fun things one can do besides drinking. reading, video games, go see a movie with friends. in my opinion alcohol should be destroyed and anyone caught with it should be shot. too many people are out driving while intoxicated and people think it is all a big joke. i wonder how they will feel when they are or more importantly their child is killed because of it

Mzprettygurl said...
on Feb. 2 2012 at 10:44 am
it should be lower because it just wont teenager wont to break the law more if its stay the same or get higher

tina1000 said...
on Feb. 1 2012 at 8:13 am
tina1000, Monroe, North Carolina
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
nothing

davidbliss you have a point but you ever think that it because the people that are saying this are over the age of 21 and can drink and the people under the age say this is a good idea. it because there under age they do it but then again you where under age once and you tryed to do it to and when you where 18 you wanted the law to be down? did you not?

on Jan. 31 2012 at 8:17 pm
Andrea_Kolarova BRONZE, Hendersonville, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 4 comments
Yeah, really! i also disagree with the article. Please read my post... it explains much about my reasoning.

on Jan. 31 2012 at 8:15 pm
Andrea_Kolarova BRONZE, Hendersonville, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 4 comments
I absolutely disagree. The reason behind the minimum drinking age comes from many reasons. One: the health defect. It is dangerous and abusive to a young teen's body and can lead to serious damage. By lowering the age limit you are providing an easier way for teens to get a hold of alcohol, and therefore also alowing them to consume more, easily. This can only lead to more negative effects. The people who break the law most often are people who don't shot for a bright future. They may come from broken homes, horrible school enviroments, ect. Another reason: addiction. From your first drink your body becomes a little more tolerant and drawn to the poison. With drunkeness comes bad choices. Keeping the drinking age will even lower teen birth rates! who wants to be raised by a 14 or 15 year old mom... and you don't know your father (who left after his poor descision that may have benn influenced by alcohol)? Alcohol is NOT the answer, and neither is lowering the drinking age. A better solution: EDUCATION. You need to educate young people about the negative effects of using alcohol... especialy for teens. You may say that this method will not reach or convince teens, but they now know the facts. If they KNOWINGLY use alcohol or do not have the courage to resist peer pressure, they might as well toss their life away with that empty bottle. They are ruining it anyway. Also the knowledge will reach those who listen... the ones who want to succeed, to prevail in life. Not the ones who don't have a care in the world and want to booze it away. Thank you for reading, Andie K. *Please, this doesn't apply to every teen, or every situation... but take notice- it may as well apply to you or anyone you know.*

on Jan. 31 2012 at 1:54 pm
TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

umm you really cant kill when your 18 or any age legally and alchol is like a poisin your liver may be able to neutralize it but constent consumption would kill you

420budmon said...
on Jan. 31 2012 at 12:41 pm
weedandstuffmakesmehigh

on Jan. 31 2012 at 7:58 am
Corey Dougherty, Sicklerville, New Jersey
0 articles 0 photos 1 comment
Are you crazy we should so lower it why risk getting arrested

on Jan. 23 2012 at 7:29 pm
DavidBliss BRONZE, Upper Marlboro, Maryland
1 article 0 photos 8 comments

Favorite Quote:
Since We are all different, We are truly all the same!

When you stated in the first paragraph, “I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered” It’s not true. Why? Because if the drinking age goes down, so will the age of kids wanting to drink. Its a cycle. A lot of teens who try drinking at a younger age (17-20) are because soon they will be able to drink, and in our society, its considered to be an adult when you can drink. But if the drinking age goes down, to let’s say (18) then kids who are 14 might think that its ok to drink. So really, if the drinking age went down, the percentage of underage drinkers stays the same.

on Jan. 18 2012 at 2:26 am
NeverBroken BRONZE, Chesterfield, Virginia
2 articles 9 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
You have no idea what it's like being me, therefore you have no right to judge me

13??? That's just too much, even 16 is a no. I agree it should be lowered but not that low. Kids nowadays already are having to grow up too fast and you want them to be allowed to drink at 13? *shaking my head* you must be young yourself to think this. Trust me you have a lot to growing up to do. Besides who wants their kid drinking at the age of thirteen? Or even sixteen? It would be a miracle if it even gets lowered to eighteen.

on Jan. 18 2012 at 2:20 am
NeverBroken BRONZE, Chesterfield, Virginia
2 articles 9 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
You have no idea what it's like being me, therefore you have no right to judge me

I agree with you. Besides when your a kid-depending where you grew up, and around who- you don't have the urge to drink or want to break the laws. When you get older though you want to rebel, and what better way to rebel than by breaking the law? And aren't your considered an adult when you turn eighteen? Yet you can't drink? It's just plain stupid. The drinking age should be lowered to eighteen. If we are adults when we turn eighteen then we have the right to make adult decisions like if we want to drink or not. Besides it would take all the fun out of it if its legal to drink when you're eighteen and I'm sure lots of people will at first love it and buy drinks all the time but they will then get bored of it and not see it as much fun anymore.

purple678 said...
on Jan. 17 2012 at 7:52 pm
purple678, The Woodlands, Texas
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments
I disagree because if you lower the drinking age then more teenagers are going to start drinking because they know it's okay to drink; which it's not.

TMS7A said...
on Jan. 11 2012 at 7:25 pm
i really disagree!! Why would you do that? whats the point? kids are going to do it anyway! JUST DONT DRINK! I am pretty sure that the law will never change! Why would they listen to us Teenagers???

Tori:))) said...
on Jan. 11 2012 at 10:45 am
I dis agree... i dont think it is a good idea

Mike123 said...
on Jan. 9 2012 at 11:41 pm
AMAZING! I AGREE WITH YOU 100%!!! IT MAKES NO SENSE THAT YOU CAN KILL AND VOTE AT 18 BUT NOT DRINK!!! I MEAN REALLY WTH IS UP WITH THAT?!?! ANYWAY, YOUR PAPER WAS VERY WELL WRITEN AND WAS STRUCTURED PERFECTLY! GJ! :)

on Jan. 9 2012 at 9:12 pm
DayDreaamer BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Liar liar. Plants for hire!" -Patrick, from Spongebob XD

If teenagers would not take advantage of this right and wouldn't abuse it, maybe it would be more debatable. But since this world is So messed up these days, I think there are enough people dying of drunk-driving accidents. There does not need to be any more!

on Jan. 9 2012 at 9:09 pm
DayDreaamer BRONZE, Raleigh, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 34 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Liar liar. Plants for hire!" -Patrick, from Spongebob XD

I don't fully disagree with you.. I agree a lot more with Steph0804. Most people don't follow the Drinking Age just to impress friends. So if the age was lowered, then younger kids would be drinking. Either way there are always going to be those people who won't follow the rules.. So it does not matter anyways.

on Jan. 9 2012 at 6:48 pm
-Madhatter- PLATINUM, Ballwin, Missouri
21 articles 0 photos 12 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I hate it when people see you in the supermarket and they are like 'Hey! What are you doing here?' and I'm just like 'Oh you know....hunting elephants'"

well stated! i agree with you, Blairezie

Blairezie GOLD said...
on Jan. 9 2012 at 12:50 pm
Blairezie GOLD, Montrose, Colorado
18 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You must never give in to despair. When there is no hope, you give yourself hope. That is the true meaning of inner strength." -General Iroh

And I disagree with your logic. Let's say you're a fifteen year old kid who does not drink. Would you suddenly decide to start drinking just because the drinking age was lowered to eighteen? If a fifteen year old makes the decision to not drink illegally when the age limit is twenty one, why would he or she decide to drink illegally if the limit was eighteen? Where's the logic in that? Besides, you're not taking into account something that the author of this post already mentioned- why is an eighteen year old person old enough to make the decision to die for their country, but still not old enough to decide for themselves what they eat and drink?

Steph0804 GOLD said...
on Jan. 9 2012 at 4:06 am
Steph0804 GOLD, Seoul, Other
12 articles 4 photos 206 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Explaining a joke is like dissecting a frog: you understand it better, but the frog dies in the process." -E.B. White

Well, this was well-written, but what about escalation? The drinking age is 21, and you find 17-year olds drinking. You lower it to 19, then 15-year olds start drinking. Lower it again to 17, then the 13-year olds start drinking.