Drinking Age Should Be Lowered

People use alcohol for numerous reasons; peer pressure, celebration, anxiety, sadness, boredom, rebellion and insomnia are just a few. Teens fall under the category of “people”. The legal drinking age is currently twenty-one, but illegally drinking age is as low as zero. Why? Is the main question asked. I can assure you the under age drinking age percentage would drop if the age is lowered.

Few reasons for teens drinking are: peer pressure, enjoyment, etc. But the main reason for doing so is “breaking the law.” 87% of high school seniors have used alcohol. That means that a large quantity of teens under the age of seventeen to eighteen have used alcohol before. We all know why teens drink, I mean is common since. Just the feel that they get of breaking the law is huge. Being rebel and not following the rules is an important role of a teen’s life. Consequences are the one that change them, but we don’t want them to experience the consequences of being under the influence of alcohol because we know them and they are fatal. Dying in a car accident and killing others is a mess that we don’t want to clean.

Despite the fact that is illegal for young teens to purchase it, they are able to get it through their parent’s own liquor cabinets, unscrupulous store clerks, or older friends who purchase it for them. As we all see, is not hard for teens to obtain alcohol. Why not lower the drinking age then? I mean any way you put it, they are getting it.

We have all heard of the famous saying “we want you to join the military and protect your country.” Blah blah blah. Well, you are telling me that I can legally kill someone at the age of eighteen, while I sign up with the military and go to war but I can’t have a sip of alcohol. Due to this none senseless situation, age should be equaled. In other words, if voting and military sign up is eighteen, then drinking should also be eighteen. Besides at the age of eighteen you are legally an adult. Why can’t we drink then?

Drinking age in Australia is eighteen, and in UK is as low as sixteen in restaurants. Studies have showed that those teens/adults are perfectly fine. In fact, Dr. Ruth Engs; professor of Applied Health Sciences at Indiana University in Bloomington, uses this examples to propose the following: “……the drinking age be lowered to about 18 or 19 and permit those of legal age to consume in socially controlled environment such as restaurants and official school and university functions” (direct quote from Dr. Engs).

Drinking age should be lowered, and I know that by lowering it we can drop the percentage of reckless teen alcohol abusers. It is worth trying it , and if everything goes the opposite then change the law once more (which is done lots of times, for dumb reasons) and raise the drinking age back to twenty-one. Changes are always good (most of the times), and I know this one in particular is an excellent one.

ALANSOTO13 said...
today at 2:47 pm
its good its great keep it up

gquackenboss said...
Apr. 27 at 7:51 am
I agree completely with your point. So many teens already have ways to acquire alcohol, and lowering the age would make it so that all of these teens aren't labeled as "criminals". Very well written and great point!

Joker said...
Apr. 1 at 9:30 am
This article is completely true. I agree with the argument that if I can join the army, why cant I drink? Anyways, teenagers will find a way to drink under age.

fire_chicken01 said...
Feb. 11 at 10:55 am
I think that if your a legal adult at age 18 and can join the military and vote for office, you should have the right to drink

mplo said...
Jan. 20 at 10:03 am
Better still...maybe the age for joining the military and/or being drafted should've been raised to 21 or so. During WWII, the average age that men were drafted for military service was around 26. When it came to our Korean, Viet Nam and Iraq, and Afghanistan wars, the age is 18, when kids are right on the threshold of adulthood! There is a certain amount of irony in this, but that doesn't mean that alcohol should be made more accessible to teenagers! As several posters here on this thread h... (more »)

mplo said...
Here's the point, though, baby locks: A teenager's body and brain is not completely developed, and is therefore still much more vulnerable to more serious and permanent damage as a result of excessive imbibement of alcohol. Also, by lowering the drinking age to 18, alcohol is made even more easily accessible to teenagers, which is not a good thing. That was proved, when the drinking age here in the Bay State, and the results were disastrous; there was much more drinking among high school kids.

mplo said...
They did try lowering the drinking age to 18 at one point, here in the Bay State, but it was found that drinking among high school kids increased, due to much easier access to alcohol.

ScarletCityThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
THANK YOU! This is the obvious effect if we lower the drinking age.

mplo replied...
Nov. 21, 2015 at 10:13 am
You're welcome, ScarletCity.

boink101 said...
Feb. 27, 2015 at 10:03 am
@chrisrhode

Kye-Elipse said...
Feb. 24, 2015 at 10:27 am
i am thinking about joining the Navy and i agree we should lower the drinking age limit. i think this is 100% true if we can kill for our country at age 17 (with parent consent) then you should be allowed to drink any alcoholic beverage. my vote is change the law on drinking.!

AshleySD replied...
But some consequences of drinking don't just affect the drinker. If someone gets drunk and runs over a child, that was their fault that the child died. The logical fallacy you used is very common. But comparing two things doesn't mean that there's a connection between them.

EaterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
if we no longer have alchohol to rebel with we will start rebelling with heroin and ice. let the laws be

Ashley S. replied...
Jan. 27, 2015 at 10:25 am
The only reason why people do heroin is because either there life is terrible and want to be in there own little world or they need the high... and alcohol gives you a different high then heroin so i dont know why you compared them in the first place... you dont do heroin to be a rebel. Something usually leads up to heroin like smoking weed and doing coke and then when that high isnt good enough anymore then people do heroin, and if they were to lower the age on drinking then a lot more people w... (more »)

mr895 said...
First off, you have many gramatical errors and your wording is off. You have valid points to your argument, but even if we lower the drinking age then all teens will start drinking. At their age, their brain is still developing, therefore, if they start to drink their brain will prematurely stop growing. Also, if we go through with lowering the drinking age what if younger generations start to drink do we lower it even more? At the age of 21 your brain stops its growing process, and yo... (more »)

Hedgehoglover10 replied...
You liked to repeat yourself, and I have to say I do NOT agree. They have the drinking age that way because the goverment thinks that 21 is the age where you can handle drinking responsibly. Also at 21 your body can digest alcohol with out getting sick. I strongly disagree with this opinion and think you should check over your work before posting it.

AshleySD replied...
I see both sides, but I think that we should keep the drinking age where it is.

#commonscence said...
i dissagrey with this

at the age of 18 we are already able to drive,vote,and join the military but these things are alredy hard enoph as is but if we add alcohol to that mix is pushing it to a deadly mix that alot of us will either die from or regret after we do something stupid that alcohol makes us do

mplo replied...
Good point, #commonscence! Thanks.

Braxton B. said...
Sept. 30, 2014 at 10:34 am
I 100% agree!!!!!!!!!!!