We Choke Because They Smoke | Teen Ink

We Choke Because They Smoke

By Dice09 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
Dice09 BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

The smog permeates the air. I hold my breath as I walk by but begin to suffocate and inhale deeply. My lungs draw in the pollution I so desired to keep out. Still choking, eyes burning I let out a cacophony of breaths. Such is the detriment of walking through Arizona State University. Why must we put up with the secondhand smoke of our peers? I believe ASU should install designated smoking areas around campus because non-smoking students should be able to walk through campus without experiencing the effects of secondhand smoke. There are, however, conflicting views on who is right in this debate. On the smoking side, people should have the right to smoke anywhere they want on a public campus. Contrary to that, the healthy side still allows the smokers the right to inhale their poison while the nonsmokers can simply avoid these unhealthy areas. If ASU would invest in making and enforcing smoking areas everyone can be pleased. I find it essential to appeal to both parties instead of forcing everyone to slowly die in a disorganized cloud of hazardous gas. I present you with a choice between breathing brisk clean air or noxious fumes. I’ve become fond of my lungs so I know what I would choose.