Marijuana and Hemp Uses | Teen Ink

Marijuana and Hemp Uses

By rxd0434 BRONZE, Coppell, Texas
rxd0434 BRONZE, Coppell, Texas

The legalization of Marijuana is a very controversial topic that many people support and many people oppose. If legalized, Marijuana, can have many positive effects on the economy.
Medical marijuana alone can be very beneficial to the economy of any government. As stated on Time Magazine California made 14 billion dollars just on medical marijuana. Those are really big numbers. If fully legalized for everyone 18 and older it could make trillions of dollars for the US economy.
Marijuana isn’t just for smoking. The male plant of Marijuana, Hemp, can be used for clothes. Wikipedia states that hemp grows well without herbicides, fungicides, or pesticides. The production of cotton, on the other hand, consumes almost half of the agricultural chemicals used on American crops. This is very cost-effective for farmers and also the clothing companies like Hanes and Nike. It is also better quality than cotton. Wikipedia also stated that hemp bast fibers are one of the longest natural soft fibers. They are longer, stronger, more absorbent, more mildew-resistant, and more insulated than cotton. Basically, this means that the clothing would keep you warmer than cotton in the winter and cooler in the summer.
Hemp can also be substituted for paper. Another statement from wikipedia says that hemp paper is of the highest quality, resists decomposition, and does not yellow as it ages when an acid-free process is used. Hemp paper is used in Europe for bibles because it does not decompose like wood paper. Paper was a great idea back in the 1800s because it was cheap and trees were in abundance, but now tree population is depleting because of this.
Another great use for hemp is biomass fuels. Once again wikipedia states that hemp is a high yield fiber crop, producing more biomass per acre than most other crops. As a result, the hydrocarbons in hemp could be used as a renewable, low polluting alternative to fossil fuels that is non-polluting to our atmosphere. Hemp is excellent in producing alternative fuels such as bio-diesel and ethanol. Hemp could be processed into fuel pellets, liquid fuels, and gas, reducing our consumption of fossil fuels and nuclear power. Both the seed and the fiber can be used, though the process varies depending on what you use. This plant is the answer for the car companies that are trying to be more fuel efficient. It can produce jobs and stimulate the economy.
Marijuana, both the male and female plants can be very beneficial to the government and the economy. We can pay our debt and thrive as a country with all of the positive effects marijuana can have. Marijuana is such a good resource, every politician should consider legalizing marijuana.