Legalizing Marijuana | Teen Ink

Legalizing Marijuana

By Tony Arriaga BRONZE, Sunnyside, Washington
Tony Arriaga BRONZE, Sunnyside, Washington

Back in the the day most people would say and truly believed that marijuana is bad, evil drug that would make you go crazy and kill all the people around you. The new generations are starting to figure out that marijuana has a lot of benefits. You can make hemp clothes, shoes, rope and other useful things.

Weed can also be used as pain reliever or as something that cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy can use to give them an appetite (munchies) The strain of weed that most cancer patients are given is BC Bud aka Beasters. This strain is from British Colombia and they use this kind because it has 30% higher THC level than regular marijuana which only has 4%. Right now there is a presidential candidate named Gary Johnson that uses medical marijuana as the result of a paragliding accident. Most of his supporters dubbed him “ that marijuana guy”, he says that if he becomes president then he is going to give a full pardon to anyone in jail for a non violent marijuana bust.

In the 1930’s there was a man by the name of Harry.J. Arnslinger, he was appointed as Commissioner of the FBN ( Federal Bureau of Narcotics). He spread around propaganda, that if you smoked a joint your likely to kill your whole family. He blamed blacks, hispanics, and filipinos for bringing their satanic crop into “his” country and poisoning his precious white people. This is one of his famous quotes “There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S. and most are negros, hispanics, and filipinos. Their satanic music, jazz and swing, result from marijuana usage. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with negros, entertainers, and any others”. Another reason why marijuana is illegal is because the aristocrats that owned paper mills and logging companies were losing money because hemp was “the million dollar crop”. The owners of these companies starting losing money because people found out that marijuana is a better alternative to trees because it never yellowed and lasted longer.

I think that marijuana should be legal because there would be less crime in our country and in other countries also. It would clear up a lot more prison space for the people that committed more horrible crimes. Weed can also be used to make clothes, paper and many other useful items. We don’t want war or anything that sends bad vibes when they’re high, they just want peace.

“Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction” -Bob Marley