United States of Tobacco

They say smoking is bad, right? They show commercials on TV showing a guy with a hole in his throat. They tell us smoking causes high risk of strokes, cancer, heart disease,emphysema and all. It can shorten your life by 10 years or more. So then why don't they stop businesses from selling cigarettes. You may be wondering who they is. They is the government. The government regulates businesses and laws. If its so bad then why don't they ban it completely, instead of banning in certain places like parks. If they don't, then the people smoking won't stop. It's not that I really care about their health. It's the fact that I care about mines and my lungs and the unborn babies that have no say if their pregnant moms smoke or not. But, of course, the government won't ban it completely. There's an economic standpoint on this. There are a lot of tobacco farmers and companies that would be greatly hurt by this and most tobacco companies support local politicians and government groups. So the fear of losing financial and political support is what keeps the government from banning tobacco. The tobacco industry is a billion dollar industry. The habit of smoking can cost a smoker thousands of dollars a year. As long as people keep buying from them, they will stay in business. Smokers need to realize how it not only hurts them but others and they probably won't realize until they're on their death bed. I just have to applaud those who have stopped smoking and learned the perils of it.

Leanne G. said...
Sept. 25, 2011 at 9:41 am:
You're right, they should ban it altogeher, but then the government couldn't tax it. Like 100 years ago or more they banned beer and other alcohole but then the government was losing money so they "unbanned" it.

ambnyc This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Style and grammar needs work, but the article makes an interesting point.

The government can't ban smoking altogether for economic reasons, as you said. And because they simply cannot regulate businesses and free will that harshly.