Give Teens a Break, Lower the Drinking Age in New York State! | Teen Ink

Give Teens a Break, Lower the Drinking Age in New York State!

By Suzie Tanner BRONZE, Skaneateles, New York
Suzie Tanner BRONZE, Skaneateles, New York

The drinking age should be lowered back to eighteen. The drinking age being eighteen is unconstitutional. At eighteen you can be tried as an adult, but cigarettes, and go to jail, but you can’t drink. No matter what the law is, most teens are going to drink anyway. If rebellious teenagers want to drink alcohol, they will find a way to drink it, even if they are breaking a law and putting themselves in a dangerous situation. States have already tried lowering the drinking age, they say that didn’t work; Parents are afraid their teens are going to binge drink, which can be a false statement, and academic failure is another worry to most adults.

Some states have already tried lowering the drinking age at one point but changed it back. People think that teenagers are going to be irresponsible when they drink, and that in the states with lower drinking ages, such as Massachusetts, Michigan, and Maine, they’re were said to be more car accidents. People think that all teens will drink and drive but so can people at age twenty-one. Teens being able to drink will teach them at a younger age what is acceptable and what isn’t. Teenagers are more likely to try and act mature by drinking because they are not supposed to. They will be more likely to drink in proportion when they are legally allowed to. If a teen drinks and drives, but gets caught or hurt, they will have to pay the consequences for their actions. If they are punished they will be less likely to break the rules they are given. Another common theme people like to talk about is binge drinking; everyone says that teens are more likely to binge drink. This statement is true because it’s illegal for them to drink now, so they get their fill when they can because it will be a while before they can do it again. Several teens will binge drink, just like people at age twenty-one will drink and drive, but they will also have to pay the consequences. Nothing they can do after they have like six shots can stop them from having the chance of getting alcohol poisoning. Perhaps if they get sick and go to the hospital, they will learn not to, or maybe they will be smart enough not to binge drink the in the first place. Also, if teens are taught at a young age not to binge drink, and to drink responsibly, they won’t want to binge drink.
Lastly, the other problem parents and adults in general have is the thought of academic failure. Truthfully, most twenty-one year old's are in college and they are not failing. When taught at a younger age, teens will be less likely to sneak around and drink on a school night. They will have the freedom to drink whenever they want, so they will be most likely to do their homework then go out and drink. The teenagers now a days do what they want, even drink on a school day, but they will drink moderation if given the choice because they have the freedom.

In conclusion, the drinking age should be lowered. People who are eighteen are responsible for their own actions; they need to learn how to drink in proportion. They are legally adults and should be treated like one no matter what. Having the drinking age at twenty-one sends the wrong message of maturity. Teens also want to break the rules to seem mature, they will hopefully learn after their first DWI, if they’re not smart enough to know in the first place. Most of the delinquent, inappropriate actions will stop once the drinking age is lowered. Teenagers will be thanking adults for lowering the drinking age and trusting them enough to have this privilege. They will behave because they won’t want the opportunity revoked. I believe the drinking age should be lowered.

I believe the drinking age should be lowered because teens need a chance to prove themselves. Time have changed and people have changed, it's time to prove that they can handle the responsibility.