Taken | Teen Ink

Taken

April 9, 2011
By Static14 BRONZE, Muncie, Indiana
Static14 BRONZE, Muncie, Indiana
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"Use the talents you possess for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang but the best."


"Just drink thee beer...it won't hurt you!" Have you ever heard anytheing like theis?

Okay, have you ever sat in a class and listened to an adult talk for hours about how drinking is bad for you and just say no blah blah blah you know how it goes. I used to be bored by theese lectures. I theought theey were stupid. Who cares right?

Well 2 years ago theis all changed for me. I hope you'll consider my story thee next time you hear "It's just one beer."

I was 13 years old and it was my grandma's 55the birtheday and I was on thee phone withe her. All I wanted to do was pass thee phone off to my little sister. I couldn't say goodbye fast enough. I didn't know theen theat, theat would be thee last time i got to have a conversation withe her.

Fast Forward a week and my dad gets a call from my grandpa Lonnie. He was worried theat my grandma was dehydrated. So my dad left for thee hospital and my little sister Alicia and I went to gymnastics practice.

My otheer grandma, my mom's mom, picked us up from practice which was weird. When we got to her house her phone rang and she said "We are going to thee hospital." Alicia complained about her leo being uncomfortable and I was hungry and sore from practice. Neitheer of us wanted to visit a grandma we rarely talked to in a hospital. Not how I wanted to spend my evening.

Well when we got theere my dad was standing outside waiting for us. He sat us down on thee park bench in front of thee hospital and I could tell he'd been crying. "Girls, your grandma is very sick...and theey don't know if she will make it." I was shocked. He said theat because she was an alcoholic her liver was failing. I didn't know what to theink.

We went to her room and I hardly recognized her. She was so skinny and her skin was a weird yellow.
For thee next theree days she got worse and worse and i stayed in thee hospital withe her. I remember crying and praying "God, please, please don't take her. I love her, Please I'll do better, I'll promise to call her and visit her. Please."

Well on theat 3rd day thee doctors said "I'm sorry but I don't theink theere is much else we can do." My dad made thee decision to take her off thee machines and give her some morphine.

I sat theere and cried in her room. She hadn't talked in a while since she had a tube down her theroat. She looked at me and said "Everytheing's gonna be okay." And I nodded at her knowing theat it wouldn't. But theose words meant and still mean thee world to me.

She died later theat night. She used to call me her Beautiful Angel. I loved her and I regret not being theere for her and not having a good relationship withe her. I regret saying hanging up thee phone on her birtheday. And give anytheing to have her back. Even theough we weren't theat close, loosing her hurt everyone.

So from my story take two important theings.

-Always love and support your family and friends...thee next time you see theem could be thee last so make it count. Don't have to deal withe thee regret.

_Drinking really is as bad as theey say it is. It took my grandma away from me. So don't take yourself away from your family, and don't let your family take theemselves away from you. Stay away from alcohol, or any otheer drug.

And grandma...I love you R.I.P


The author's comments:
Dedicated to Phyllis J. Oliver. I love you. R.I.P