Danger Zone! | Teen Ink

Danger Zone!

Teenagers hate to feel left out,and some teenagers are willing to do anything to fit in and be considered as cool. When did cool start to mean stupid? Twenty percent of teenagers smoke and approximately 80% of adult smokers started smoking before the age of 18. Every day, nearly 3,000 young people under the age of 18 become regular smokers (http://www.soundvision.com/Info/teens/stat.asp). Smoking is a horrible thing, but smoking at a young age is worse because teens dont know what they are getting into.

Teenagers don’t want to be humiliated and peer pressure gets to them. They don’t want anyone to think that they are losers. When the teenage boy is handed a cigarette from his so called friend ,he takes it. Under any other circumstance he wouldn’t but now he can’t resist because he has his reputation to keep. He coughs uncontrollably the first time he inhales the deadly toxin. The feeling of acceptance kicks in and he keeps going. This isn’t a huge deal to the teenage boy. For once in his life he feels like he belongs and nothing is going to stop him. The problem is that he can’t stop.

He is addicted to his sweet cancer sticks. It’s safe to say that he has fallen in love. He holds his love with his index and middle finger like it belongs there. Smoking is a huge part of this boy’s life and it controls him. He isn’t the same person he used to be. He is sneaking around buying cigarettes for his “friends” .The boy has a place to hang out with his crowd of fake friends. They aren’t his friends even if they act like they are.

The boy who wanted to be in the cool crowd got what he wanted. He desired to have what he has now but he despises everything. He regrets this road he decided to try. He wants to go back to his old lane. The only problem is he doesn’t want his only friends to think he is not like them. He wants his old friends back and more importantly his health. His appearance is unkempt and his teeth are disgusting to say the least. It will be a difficult task for him to find a girlfriend with his gross breath. The boy looks in the mirror and sees a new face staring back at him and he realizes his mistake. He still has time to quit the bad habit. He is the only one who can be strong enough to make that choice: the right choice.

bobbybob said...
on Jul. 8 2011 at 12:20 am
this is an amazing piece of WRITING!

hatesmoking said...
That is a stupid way to start smoking, I completely hate cigarettes!!!!!!! Well anyway you did an awesome job at writting this story!!

cuntsmoke.1 said...
on Mar. 15 2011 at 9:18 am
this is true people smoke through family or friends currently smoking, people need to fix this.