Bound To Be | Teen Ink

Bound To Be

January 31, 2011
By Anonymous

When i was a freshman, I was told that I was bound to wind up an alcoholic just because my dad was.

'There is an 85% chance that if your parents are alcoholics, you will be one too.' That scared me. I didn't want to grow up to be an alcoholic! I didn't want to drink myself to death! And I also didn't want my little brother or sister to either. But, she convinced me, so I took a turn and drank whenever the opportunity presented itself. No. I never got drunk. I never even got tipsy, but i drank, because i figured I should get a head start on it while i was young.

Then came my sophomore year. All of my thoughts about alcohol changed. My best friend decided she wanted to get drunk. She called a bunch of people, and told a bunch of lies. Now I look at the mess she is in. None of her friends trust her. None of them believe anything she says. She has no one all because she was stupid and got drunk.

Now, looking at her i realize i don't want to live that life. I don't want to lose my friends and family. I don't want to screw up my whole life just because a teacher said I would be an alcoholic. Now, I am looking above it all. I don't drink a drop of alcohol, though, sometimes it calls to me. I am strong enough now to refuse it. And i wish everyone my age could be strong enough to refuse it too.