Drinking amongst teens | Teen Ink

Drinking amongst teens

December 13, 2010
By DerekW BRONZE, Weedsport, New York
DerekW BRONZE, Weedsport, New York
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
favorite qoute is nobody has ever drowned in sweat by lou holtz


So i see that people are going both ways on the drinking age subject. To tell you the truth it can go either way lower it or raise it. Let's say you lower the age, more young people will try it as soon as then can in this current generation but who's to say the next will? I believe that only our generation would try it right away but we would teach our kids aka. the next generation that alcohol can be dangerous if used and abused. I agree that drinking and driving would increase, it would have to since every teen has to be a rebel. You may be asking yourself why would i be in favor of making the drinking age lower if the teenagers would be more prone to DWI? Well thats the teen moment of truth, can you choose to make the right choice? If not you could suffer severe trouble such as arrested or even injury/death. This may sound very backwards but think about it its all about making choices and that's what we are all about as a nation, if you take away our ability to make our own choices then well this isn't a democracy is it?

That is why my opinion on the drinking age is that it should be lowered i strongly believe that we need to be able to make our own decisons at a younger age to better prepare ourselves for the real world. I'm not saying to lower the drinking age to 16 or less im saying have a set stepping stone of availibility. At 16 you get a permit at 17 alcoholic beverages and 18 tobacco. That way you can progress through the diffrent items you may aquire as you go through the teen years. And again i stress that we have to make choices and the ones that we make and the ones we dont make have a great impact on our lives.


The author's comments:
Fun Topic