Drug Use Should Be Legal in America

Next year, America will have undergone two changes that seem to run counter to each other. Absinthe will be legal, while the hallucinogen salvia is currently in the process of becoming illegal in the states. While absinthe has long been maligned as a hideous threat to life and society, salvia is known to be rather harmless unless smoked or chewed in very high doses. However, the potential for harm with any drugs does not conern me. What does is their legal status. I think that all drugs (including cigarettes, alcohol and even meth) should be made legal for anybody 18 years or older. Drug legalization will not cause the downfall of society, it could easily save some lives and it would cerainly put more money in government coffers, allowing more funding for things like road improvement, technology research and education.
First things first. Alcohol was once abhorred to the point of being banned in America, on the grounds that it would cause irreparable damage to the structure of society. As we all learn in school, Prohibition didn't last all that long. Since alcohol was re-legalized, it has clearly not destroyed the U.S. Alcohol use is generally not allowed at most workplaces, and such would be the case with any other drug. Also prominent is the fact that many drugs which are prohibited in America are not in the Netherlands. Dutch society is not some hellish, broken world and Holland is a thriving first world country. I am skeptical (to say the least) that letting people eat magic mushrooms will kill America.
This is probably a good time to address methamphetamine. My opinion is that if someone is stupid enough to cook up things like cough syrup, ammonia and lithium, then smoke the product, those people might not be the most valuable members of society anyway. They can go right ahead and mess up their lives.
Drug legalization would, on the other hand, be able to save many other lives. Just like with cigarettes and alcohol, the government could regulate production and prices of any drugs. Varying potencies and warnings could be established. If drug strength and content were regulated and drugs legalized, manufacturers who make drugs in unhealthy ways would become obsolete and drug use might easily become much safer.
Legal drugs would also allow the government to collect more taxes. More government funds can spell more money being spent on improvements in fields such as education, transportation and technology research.
Drug use should be legal in America. It would benefit the government and not harm the populace.

justagirl.. said...
You need rethink this. Natural drugs, good. Other drugs and alchol, destroy lives and the lives of surrounding friends and family members.

HazelKush said...
Aug. 23, 2010 at 11:45 am:

Love it. And agree %1000000000. Great writing!:D

Heathurrlovesyouu said...
Jul. 4, 2010 at 12:40 am:
I agree one million percent. Take this up with Obama, it may be exactly what he needs to become my favorite president!
:)

karaashley09 said...
Jun. 11, 2010 at 1:22 pm:
Thank you for being honest about your opinions, John W.

jamesp420 said...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 2:49 am:
First off, there is nothing wrong with Salvia. Harmless with a fairly short, fun trip. There's no reason to make it illegal, except that government like to take things from the people that make them happy, like an overly strict parent taking away toys she deems "inappropriate" for her child. Legalizing all drugs will make a profound difference on society. This change will not seem to go well at first, but in the long run it will work for the best. Part of the appeal of drugs is th... (more »)

sallyhall said...
Mar. 8, 2010 at 1:35 pm:
i think they should be legalized because what ever they do ppl are stilll goin to do them, so whta ever they do, either, they wont or they will ppl are sstill goin to it!!!

Abby R. replied...
Mar. 22, 2010 at 4:36 pm :
you do make a good point by legalizing drugs you are saying it is ok to do them. They shorten your life they may make you feel happy and not stressed for 30 min but in the long run it is not a good example to set for kids. I am 13 and i know some kids my age will just love the idea that drugs are legalized.

Tenthmuse replied...
May 5, 2010 at 9:25 am :
Agreed. Drugs destroy lives, whether you want to accept it or not. Opening the oppertunity to use drugs will encourage children to begin the slow suicide of drug use.

random screen name said...
Mar. 7, 2010 at 1:08 pm:
Absinthe has "long been maligned as a hideous threat to life and society" due mostly to misinformation. The newfound legality of absinthe is not likely to be particularly detrimental to society. Besides which, there are no laws yet as to what you can market as absinthe, so a vast majority of what's being sold in America with an absinthe label isn't actually absinthe.
I do agree, though, that drug use should be legal. My reasoning is simply that I don't believe t... (more »)

Jordan901278 said...
Feb. 19, 2010 at 9:10 pm:
i agree. but not too much on the hard drugs. people become violent of meth and sometimes cocaine. and it causes pretty big health concerns. but as far as alcohol, marijuana, LSD and salvia (as if it's a drug) of course it should be legal. none of those drugs have killed anybody or even come close to, except alcohol next to the like 500,00 people who died from cigarettes and LEGAL drugs like Aspirin

christian22 said...
if you agree with me email me. darkestdays33@yahoo .com

christian22 said...
if you would like to view the legalization of marijuana in my perspective you may agree with me. how many times do you hear of people crashing of getting in fights or any thing that can harm someone while drinking alchol? quite a few rite? well on the other hand how many people do you know of that harmed anybody in anyway while in use of marijuana? no where near the ammount if any. under the use of marijuana you still have the ability to make choices and think rationally as when you are under ... (more »)

beeftown said...
A well written and thought out article. I agree that some drugs should most certainly be legalized, but I wouldn't go as far as including methamphetamine, cocaine, or any other "hard" drugs. But really, if you are a responsible adult in a safe setting, you should be free to smoke a bowl with some friends without having to worry about going to jail for doing something that hurts no one.

Sunshineyday said...
Interestig article. idk about legalizing things as heavy as meth and cocaine, but you present an interesting point.

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 22, 2009 at 11:05 am:
You have some issues. Letting drugs become legal would be horrible! Please rethink this.
God bless,
...,

shofiebot said...
salvia isn't bad.
i don't understand why they're making it illegal.

shofiebot replied...
Nov. 1, 2009 at 11:32 am :
it only gives you like a 6 minute acid trip.

Skaterkid797 said...
Wow no no no drugs should not be legal bad call

Skaterkid797 replied...
Oct. 28, 2009 at 3:30 pm :
you need to find a natural high like mine is skating you need something that helps your body not destroy it

Jaquie This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 22, 2009 at 11:03 am :
I agree with you 100%