How Should Marijuana be Categorized?

"There goes that drug head!" That's what people say about her. They say she's screwing up her life, killing brain cells, and she'll have no future. Why is this? All of this unfair judgment because she smokes marijuana. Is marijuana all that bad? People say yes, but studies say different. Marijuana, or pot as people call it, is not a hardcore narcotic. It is not a physically addictive drug. It takes many years to kill brain cells but people don't know that. We shouldn't throw marijuana in with the other drugs and narcotics like cocaine and meth because studies show its not as bad.

In the National Academy of Sciences Institute of Medicine's federal study it says, "Millions of Americans have tried marijuana but most are not regular users, and few marijuana users become dependent on it." Even science medicine institutions say that pot isn't the highly addictive drug everyone makes it out to be. It also doesn't ruin your life like people say. Smoking marijuana is like watching television; you love to do it and you hate to give it up but its not impossible. Although it is a drug, dependence isn't as great as many other drugs other there. Also, there are little to no withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawing from marijuana is painless, irritating, but painless. You go through greater pain withdrawing from alcohol or tobacco then marijuana and those are legal for adults according to law.

People who smoke pot love it. They don't need it, but they love it. The "addiction" to pot is all in your mind. The withdrawal from pot is all in your head The "need" for pot is all in your head. Using marijuana is basically the same as people having a hobby! They love it so much and it gives them great pleasure. But do they need it? Do they get sick of it if the don't continue on with it? With it kill them without it? Of course not, think about it!

If marijuana is so bad then why do doctors prescribe it? Medical marijuana has many uses and it helps many people. When cancer patients smoke marijuana it helps tremendous amounts. Since it helps, are we exaggerating the negativity of it? It can help and it can hurt but it doesn't effect you like you think. Most pot smokers can willingly stop smoking whenever they want, and it barely affects their well-being. Many chronic marijuana smokers can do as much as a non-smoker with little to no restrictions to physical or mental ability. If you let pot bring you down, it will. If you let pot make you dumb and tired and lazy, it will. If you choose to smoke it and not let it ruin your social and educational life, it wont.

In a world where people use logic and reason they wont say, "There goes that drug head!" They would know that the girl gets good grades and participates in many sports and still uses marijuana. She can walk down the halls okay with herself because she knows that marijuana isn't like the other horrible, life consuming drugs out there. She's read the studies and she understands. I personally don't think people should look at marijuana as a drug taking over millions, but more life a recreational activity that lets teens get awat for awhile and have fun. Im not saying we should all go blaze up, only that maybe we should rethink the way we look at marijuana smokers.

Caravana said...
Feb. 20, 2012 at 11:11 am
If used for medical use it may not be bad but you must remember that many do abuse its use they use it for selfish reason and though it is not physically addictive it is a habit that is formed and can change a person. I see your point and like your writing style it was very well written.

annmarie's the best said...
Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:14 am
ilove thiis story

ohsopoisonous said...
Apr. 18, 2011 at 10:06 am

I agree with you.

I don't smoke it, I've tried it, but I didn't fancy it too much. But I believe it can harm you more than you think, but obviously not to someone like you. People who smoke should read studies and understand it's contrast with pot and other drugs, because like Josephines friend, many consider it as a gateway drug. My brother started smoking weed. He is an idiot, and got into more hardcore stuff. He is 18 now but he still is about as immature as the kids at my midd... (more »)

cldierkhising said...
Totally agree. People need to get the facts straight and notice that things they have legal today are worse then even pot truly is! Just my personal opinion on this which i  know many parents and just people woiuld disagree on but Alcohol is worse then Pot. On many levels.  truthfully at lease pot makes you happy.  i'd explain more on my point but have to go. stick to your point. truth hurts thats why you get haters

Josephine said...
Nov. 16, 2010 at 7:18 am
Ive thought bout most of that before. But my friend smokes pot, she can't live without it. When she has a withdraw shes a total bit**. I wish she would at least smoke after school, not before, and after all her work is done. Instead of going to work high. Shes to that point where she doesn't care anymore. She thinks all the other drugs will be okay for her since pot didn't harm her. I don't want her to end up in rehab like my previous friend. So is it true that wed is a gateway drug? probably. W... (more »)

jessenielsen said...
many of your thoughts have crossed my mind, but i think there are some holes in your reasoning. the main reason educated people put down marijuana is that it is in fact a gate way drug. it may be very well true that marijuana in controlled use can be safe, but the potential of it leading to the use of other more harmful drugs is not only prodicted, but proven. know that im not saying if you smoke some weed, you will go on to shoot heroin. just that in many cases, the use of marijuana has opened ... (more »)