Opposing the legilization of Mauijuana from a teenagers perspective

Pot, weed, grass, dope. These are all commonly used nicknames for the hallucinogen drug marijuana. Since 1937 marijuana (or scientifically referred to as cannabis) has been illegal to have possession of more than a little shy of an ounce. Although in 1996 cannabis was made legal in California strictly for medical use only. Since that year thirteen more states have passed the “medical marijuana” law. This includes states such as Michigan, Nevada, Vermont, and even our Nations capital Washington D.C. has given the green stuff a chance. But to this day the drug still remains illicit in most states, and from my perspective I think it should stay that way. Now according to recent statistics reported from the National Survey on drug use and health, 39.8% of the American population has tried cannabis at least one time. The majority of the percent is High school and college students. This is no surprise because these grade levels are also very popular in the young adult and minor arrest percentage. In terms of younger drug use such as middle school students the drug use percentage is a parent-comforting 5.7 percent. However this number may seem low but I, along with many other people in the U.S. agree that it could be lower. Now we’ve all heard at least one person give the “I swear I’ve done it a million times and nothing happens you just get really calm, it’s not addictive” False. Although this is relatively true statement for some people pot is a potentially addictive drug. Marijuana’s main substance is called tetrahydrocannibinol (or THC for short). This is an ingredient that can cause short term memory loss and can also be toxic. Cannabis can be considered a somewhat “safe” drug, but this is only 100% true if you use it for medical reasons only and it has to be prescribed by your doctor. Let’s say that you are at a party, and there’s drinking and you’ve held off on the alcohol for the night because you know what it can do to you. Then one of your friends offers you a joint (marijuana cigarette) and gives you the speech that I told you before about it being not addictive. Before you make a possible life ruining decision, ask your self this question who is more likely to be right? A 17 year old high school student who maybe went to a few weeks worth of Drug Education that your school is required to give you, or a professional group of scientists who studied the drug and actually tested it in a lab. Well it’s your decision, make the assumption or make the right choice.

mandaloreP said...
Marijuana is not a hallucnigent. Ontop of that marijuana is way better then tobacco and alchohal. How many people do you know get into a car accident because they smoked to much pot? Pot is classified as a drug, but as are many otehr things, but if it is being perscibed by a doctor how bad can it really be? And pot can actually help stimulate the economy. If pot was legalized and taxed just like ciggarettes it would bring in a vast income to the united states that could be used to pay off our de... (more »)

hughesfan123 replied...
If marijuana isnt a problem, then how come the government illegalizes it? take that to the bank

mandaloreP replied...

Pot is illegal because people give bad impressions of it. Younger and younger kids are being taught how bad pot is and how much it can screw you over in the end. But so can the drugs pharmasists give you. People think just because something is a drug it's automatically going to seperate you from your life and drag you down into a dark lonely place. In all honesty in can do that, but so can anything else in the world. If the goverment legilized pot it could do wonders for our country. Think of... (more »)

pencils_4_hands This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
I agree that it should be illigalized. The black and white truth is that marajuana is a gateway drug. if you smoke pot then it gets you used to the idea of using other drugs. soon people feel it is ok to do crack, heroin or meth. I have never met a user of pot who has not eventually tampered with other drugs. It is a precursor to other drugs and therefor is as bad as all those "other drugs" themselves.

Im.On.The.Bridge said...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 9:47 am

How is Marijuana a Hallucigen?

Also, I'd call Marijuana safer than tobacco and alcohol. Just my 2 cents.