Evolution and Drinking

The drinking age should be lowered for many purposes. One however comes to mind at the forefront. Charles Darwin came up with his theory of evolution stating that the weak and stupid will die out and eliminate themselves from the gene pool. However by setting the drinking age at 21 we are prohibiting nature from taking its course and killing the people stupid enough to drink and perform a stupid act thus killing them.

If however America was to lower the drinking age then for a short time the stupid people would be killing themselves. After that the people who are left are the smart people who drank in moderation or didn’t consume any alcohol at all. Is this just a pessimistic view on human nature? Maybe but the statement still stands that we are not allowing nature to take its course by killing off the weak and stupid instead they are consuming an ever diminishing supply of resources that would otherwise have benefited someone who may have needed the resource.

doubletterb said...
Because shooting someone will land you in prison. Plus the younger the drinking age the less likely the chance of the moron's genes to be passed on.

toxic.monkey replied...
the part about shooting was sarcasm. good point though. however, europe has a way lower drinking age and i don't know of the alcohol-related death rates being any higher than the States'.

doubletterb replied...
Valid point i have to agree with you their. but Europe has allowed it for so long that kids over their probablly dont think "lets get wasted". It's second nature to them, however in America a lot of people will exploit the new law and kill themselves in the process.

TheWanderingMoo replied...
i am an american living in europe, and people like to think about "european drinking culture" and "kids dont get wasted because its not a novelty" Not true.  I was shocked.  It's worse than in America.  I think it's sad to see so many teens stumbling down the streets trying to get home without passing out in the gutters.  Because it's legal it's all very public too and paints an ugly picture on the streets.  While I still support the drinking age where it is because it c... (more »)

toxic.monkey said...
It doesn't take a lot of brains to reproduce and if someone "weak and stupid" has reproduced before they died from alcohol (which takes a long time, I assure you) then their "weakness and stupidity" get passed along anyway. why don't we shoot people who drink before they are 21?