The Legalization of Marijuana | Teen Ink

The Legalization of Marijuana

September 23, 2010
By Anonymous

Some say that if marijuana was legalized for sale and taxation then crimes would be reduced since the price would go down. They also state that it is just as bad as alcohol and cigarettes if used in moderation, but does that make it right for it to be legalized.

Marijuana should not be legalized because marijuana is a gateway drug, a drug that leads to other drugs when used, and some people that do start using this drug could turn to other illegal drugs which would further increase drug problems that are already expanding in the U.S. This would also increase “stoned driving,” which adds more danger to driving and further precautions would have to be taken for this. In addition to all of these, drug related crimes would increase and even become more serious if legalization does go through. Lastly, secondhand smoke would have to be recognized because others that choose not to smoke would be affected.

Overall, the cons out weigh the pros in this particular situation and if legalized this would lead to further problems we have in the United States.


The author's comments:
I truely believe that legalizing marijuana will just cause more problems