What's the Point of Smoking? | Teen Ink

What's the Point of Smoking?

By Danae_Ruiz BRONZE, New York, New York
Danae_Ruiz BRONZE, New York, New York

"you're only as good as you feel"

Cigarettes should be illegal! Ciarettes arent worth a life, not part of it, not half, not anything. I do not understand the point of smoking something that takes 2 minutes away from a person's life. cigarettes are the worst thing for people, my reasons are simple,how they effect people's health, how it waste people's money money, and the envoirment.

Think about it, your health I mean. there are 4,000 chemicals in a cigarette! 50 of them are known to cancer. One of the chemicals in Urea, a chemical in cat pee. when a smoker has one pack of cigaretts it is like pouring eight ounces of tar into thier lungs. Smoking takes away 20 whole years away from a person life, makes thier teeth yellow, and turns thier lungs black. Last time i checked Black lungs aren' normal. What i dislike about some smokers is that the pack they buy from the store does have posters warning them of mouth cancer or lung cancer, and they still buy it! Cigarettes have officaily killed 6 million people, a record kept showed how many people would die by this year because of smoking. A person dies every 6.5 seconds to smoking realted deaths. Are they worth a life still? D o you agree with me?

Cigarettes are a waste of people money. not only does a smoker waste thier money on cigarettes they are also losing money from thier jobs. Why? Let me explain. A average smoker misses days of work because they become more sick from smoking, making them have less cash in thier paycheck. Then they go out and buy another pack.

Next topic! ENVOIMENT! it takes one tree to make 300 cigarettes. only 300? wow. A cigerttes takes 25 YEARS just to decompose. By that time it could be polluting all types of water and killing the animals in it. picture this! a cigrette falls in a fresh water lake where people like to by thier fish, A fish swallows the cigarette letting all the chemicals just sit there. a fisherman catces the fish and sells it at a market. what just happend? Cigarettes harm people the envoirment and people more then you think. Did you know some companies bribe poor countries with money into growig thier tabacco? And then most of the time the country's death rate increases becuase they were grownig more tabacco then food.Even though thewy hve money what will they spend it on if there isnt' enough food? Agreeing with me yet?

Those are my reasons. there are many more but i hope this is enough to convince you that they should be legal at all. i know some of you might disagree and some of you might agree with me. comment and tell me what you thinkl. i wanna know :) What's the point?

Ichabod said...
on Apr. 9 2014 at 7:35 pm
I 100% agree with this entire article. We hear many cases of cigarette related deaths, yet people still buy it for unknown reasons. There's been commercials supporting anti-smoking to get people's attention because it was so bad. Some people say that they get a buzz from it and it reliefs stress, but are they even aware of the consequences? I guess not. I guess they want to kill over......Oh well. *shrugs*. Whenever I smell cigarette smoke, I get pissed off because I hate the smell of it everywhere I go.

on Nov. 7 2011 at 9:13 am
Danae_Ruiz BRONZE, New York, New York

"you're only as good as you feel"

thanks!!!!!!

nonah said...
on Nov. 4 2011 at 10:11 pm
This is a very good article. Smoking is addicting, many  people want to quit but just can't. I like your passion ;)