Legalization of Marijuana

By , Odenton, MD
Am I a pothead? No. Definitely not. Was I once? Maybe. None of your business. Do I agree with the legalization of marijuana? Absolutely, %100, yes. Si. Oui. Any form of the word, yes I do. But not for the reasons most of you may think. I don't agree with this nationwide poll just so I can get stoned everyday, I agree with it because hypocrisy really pisses me off.

You might think, what's so hypocritical about this? Its a drug. Its illegal. 'Nuff said. But what makes marijuana so different from, for example, tobacco? They're both naturally grown herbs, smoked for enjoyment, and can cause serious health issues that could lead to death. So...why is tobacco legal? For one reason only, compared to marijuana- it has basically no mental effect. The only thing it physically does for you, and shorten your life and turn you into an addict.

Now, some people may come back at that statement by saying "Marijuana effects your ability to focus when under the influence of it, and causes you to do things that may be dangerous." That makes absolute sense, because its the truth, but you know what my response to that is? Wat other addictive substance has the same kind of effect on its users, and is %100 legal? Alcohol.

So, basically, my point here is that marijuana is illegal for ridiculous reasons. And those reason exist in other legal, addictive, harmful substances as well. So if the government isn't going to legalize and equivalent of something very comparable o alcohol that has the death rate of tobacco, then maybe they should make all three illegal. Of course that would piss of maaaaaaany other people, but it would set the world right.

Might I add this is simply one opinion of one occasional user or marijuana who's a tad ticked about certain substance abuse laws, and shouldn't be taken too seriously by some people. But, if heard by the ears of the American government, this young writer would hope it would be taken very, very seriously.

Thoreau420 said...
Your argument is good, except you bought into the fear propoganda about marijuana. It holds nothing harmful in it, the only thing that could hurt you is the smoke in your lungs. But you're right in the regards of society's view on Marijuana and alcohol, the ridiculousness that we promote a poison that insinuates violence and hate and belittle a natural herb that gives peace and love.

justagirl.. said...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 12:00 am
dude, check your statistics. Marijuana does not kill people as smoking cigarettes do. Cigarettes are way worse considering all of the harmful chemicals in them. And what harmful chemicals are in weed? None. Point proven.

hazelinkblots. said...
Thanks for the feedback!(:

Taylor.Sangria This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Sept. 11, 2010 at 8:34 am
Completely agree. A well-worded argument.

hazelinkblots. said...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 10:01 am
My thoughts exactly

Ryan P. said...
Aug. 18, 2010 at 11:58 am
I totally agree 100%, but he is right, it has the death rate of tabacco, it just doesnt give you cancers as fast, but we all die one day, personally, i enjoy killing myself with these substances, it helps to mask reality when i cant handle it. And an arguement to the writer, marijuana usually isnt dangerouse, not on a level where it makes you do something bad, usually when your high (and you (the writer) know that when your high) all you want to do is sit around, listen to music, and watch movie... (more »)

faypirate23 said...
how does it have the same rate of tabacco? mariquana doesant cause cancer or anything..it just makes u a bit lazy.thats all ppl are stupid the only reason its illegal is because the government cant tax it.