My's View | Teen Ink

My's View

June 4, 2010
By Anonymous

As I proceed in life I find myself struggling to determine whether I’m a conservative or a liberal person. With my view point swaying towards both sides, pending on the situation only makes it more difficult to discover my political ideology. There are the conservatives who believe in personal responsibility, limited government, free markets, individual liberty, strong national defense, and American values. Conservatives believe the role of government should be to provide people the freedom necessary to pursue their own goals. Liberals who believes in government action to achieve equal opportunity for all and that it is state’s duty to alleviate social ills and protect civil liberties. Expecting the role of the government is to guarantee that no one is in need due to the government assistances. Issues such as: affirmative action, death penalty, economy, gun control, health care, gay rights, immigration, social security, war, taxes, and welfare. All issues that causes a disagreement between the two groups.

I see myself taking more of a liberal viewpoint, due to the similar views they have on immigration, same sex marriage, and welfare. I too believe that the role of the government is to guarantee that no one is in need emphasizing the need for government to solve people’s problems. Our founding father John Hamilton helped created government to serve people not vice versa. With my family migrating over here as immigrants, welfare help start them on their feet giving us an equal opportunity as everyone else. I believe that immigrants deserve U.S government financial aid for college tuition and visas for spouse and children to come to the U.S. Families shouldn’t be separated. Conservatives believe that government should enforce immigration laws. They believe that those who break the laws entering the U.S. illegally should not have the same rights as those who obey the law by entering legally. They fear that business would decrease employees with illegal immigrant for cheap labor. Though there are many immigrants violating the law by entering illegally, but conservatives don’t understand the hardship that they have in their native land. Immigrants enter our country to seek an opportunity to start a new life and manifest a new dream of living the American life. With no jobs from back in their homeland the fee of entering is financially impossible.